Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could you please have a quick look over my build

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

the superflower gold in 550W is about a tenner dearer.

450W should be more than plenty, but it can be nice to have a 550W if you decide to upgrade in the future, get a more power hungry gfx card or add extra hard drives. You could run on the 450W quiet comfortably though...

Good solid spec for a pc that will play Diablo 3 no problem at all and most games out now as well tbh. Very few modern games will give you any trouble all...

EDIT: do you have a large regular harddrive for media files etc.... Or large games installs when you decide to play games other than diablo 3! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Looks good but, you could go with cheaper RAM http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=44315&agid=1192

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭settings

Thanks very much lads.:)

Uncle sam is that ram not a small bit slower at 1333 vs 1600 or does it make any difference?
    Yeah uberpixie I have a small nas here and 1.5tb external I impulsively bought about a year ago so I got plenty of storage.
    I will stick with the 450w so if it will suffice as the hd 7850 is way overkill for my needs as it is.
    Cheers:)

settings wrote: »
    Thanks very much lads.:)

Uncle sam is that ram not a small bit slower at 1333 vs 1600 or does it make any difference?
    Yeah uberpixie I have a small nas here and 1.5tb external I impulsively bought about a year ago so I got plenty of storage.
    I will stick with the 450w so if it will suffice as the hd 7850 is way overkill for my needs as it is.
    Cheers:)

With Intels Ivy there's not a massive amount of real world performance to be had from running the memory at super high speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Minimal difference, aside from looking better. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Not sure I'd go with Gigabyte for a motherboard brand, they're not the best for motherboards. Perhaps ASRock, or Asus.

Do you intentionally have the 3550? If I were you I'd spend the extra 20euro and get the K model so you can overclock.

Not sure I'd go with Gigabyte for a motherboard brand, they're not the best for motherboards. Perhaps ASRock, or Asus.

Do you intentionally have the 3550? If I were you I'd spend the extra 20euro and get the K model so you can overclock.

He'll need to get a Z68/77 board as well if he's overclocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

get a 2500K for the same price. higher turbo even without OC will make it faster. better resale too.

Gigabyte are suppose to have very good support though. They're based in the UK if you need to RMA the MB

Really appreciate the input guys, great to have people who know alot more than me look over it.

Tea bag I was gonna get a 2500k and overclock it last month but thought I'd hang on for ivy. Is it really better to get one than the new ivybridge? Im looking for a good solid pc that will last me for years and the 2500k has been out since Dec 2010 - it feels almost like taking a step back although like I said Im far from an expert.

I read a small amount on overclocking and I got the impression it is mainly for gaming and enthusiasts. I wouldnt game at all really aside from getting Diablo 3 so I'm not sure if its worthwhile for me. Although if I were to get a 2500k I would definitely overclock it. I heard that ivys run cooler, more efficiently and faster at a non overclocking level to their sandybridge counterparts but when it comes to overclocking they can be unstable at certain temps.

Asus was top of my list but on hardwareversand there are 3x types and I was unsure which to get so I went gigabyte as I assumed they were a very high quality brand.
    ASUS P8H77-M LE, Sockel 1155, mATX, DDR3

ASUS P8H77-M, Sockel 1155, mATX, DDR3

ASUS P8H77-M PRO, Sockel 1155, mATX, DDR3

which will I get?:)

I woundnt go for asrock as I have a mobo in my htpc that is giving me grief ("machine check error")

I will get the gskill ram that uncle sam recommends so without the flashy heatsink :D

Thanks a million lads,really glad I put it up here before hitting the trigger

• Advertisement

Can you overclock with H77 at all?

I dont think so, the z77 is only a few quid more though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Can you overclock with H77 at all?
    its very hard to get a straight answer to this.

What I gather, is that you have access to change the multi, but volts are fixed, so I'm guessing you're not going to get much over 4.0Ghz.

Edit: and only with ivy. Sandy is locked multi.

updated my build.
    For the sake of €25 I can have an overclockable machine should I want to down the line. You guys are contagious:D
    Item|Price
    Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155|€212.85
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€34.67
    Dell UltraSharp U2312HM|€188.70
    Super-Flower SF450P14XE Golden Green Pro 80plus gold|€67.74
    HIS HD 7850 GDDR5 2048MB DVI/HDMI/2xMini DP|€220.36
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")|€120.74
    FRACTAL DESIGN Gehäuse Arc Mini, mATX|€75.44
    Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H, Intel Z77, mATX|€83.23

Reason I choose gigabyte board is so I can use the Lucid's Virtu function to run display through the intel graphics when im not using the graphics card (i think).

Could anyone answer any of these?
    • With my updated spec would a 450w be sufficient? and would if be should I choose to overclock?
    • I've read a few places that blizzard/diablo 3 will run alot better using an nvidia graphics card as opposed to amd. I dont really like the look of the nvidias as they seem to serious power guzzlers compared to that of the 7750 bracket.
    • in terms of reliability/lastability can you see anywhere to improve?
    just ordered the crucial ssd m4 128gb on amazon for £89 :D

450w should be enough, not sure if it is if you overclock both CPU and GPU (7850 overclocks brilliantly)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

450w is pushing it, but you would be able to run it. Perhaps get this:
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=30069&agid=1628

Cheaper, more power, and reliable. ;)

Those SSDs are getting extremely cheap!! I bought a 64Gb one for 97euro at Christmas time, now the 128Gb ones are only 110, might pick up another one for Steam :)

sure I may as well get a 550w so :)
    I like the sound of the gold rated ones so I guess it wont hurt much;)
    Item|Price
    Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155|€212.85
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€34.67
    Dell UltraSharp U2312HM|€188.70
    HIS HD 7850 GDDR5 2048MB DVI/HDMI/2xMini DP|€220.36
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")|€120.74
    FRACTAL DESIGN Gehäuse Arc Mini, mATX|€75.44
    Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H, Intel Z77, mATX|€83.23
    Super-Flower SF550P14XE Golden Green Pro 80plus gold|€75.91

gonna transfer the funds soon:D

I'd actually like an opinion here while we're at it, is the MSI 7850 I linked earlier worth the 15 quid over a reference card like that HIS?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭luyolo

I'd actually like an opinion here while we're at it, is the MSI 7850 I linked earlier worth the 15 quid over a reference card like that HIS?

I'd say it's better because it'll be able to cope much better with the OC capability of the 7850.

luyolo wrote: »
    I'd say it's better because it'll be able to cope much better with the OC capability of the 7850.

That was my line of thinking, going to get two :pac:

• Advertisement

thanks alot for the advice all.
    I made the order late last night with hardwareversand. I ended up going for the non overclock version in the end as it probably wont have a very stressful life.
    One thing I didnt do which im kinda kicking myself for now is the monitor dead pixel check for €20. Since its such a big yoke if theres anything wrong with it would be awkward packaging it up and sending it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

settings wrote: »
    just ordered the crucial ssd m4 128gb on amazon for £89 :D

is that the exact same as this?

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=46110&agid=1145

yes its the exact same I think. Hardwareversand had it at 120+ when I ordered, it has come down in price in the meantime.

Advertisement