Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you expect an inheritance?

• 04-05-2012 1:56am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

I know this guy who gets cross if his elderly folks change ther car or take a holiday ? The miserable ***tard reckons they are spending HIS Inheritance ? They put him thru collage and bought him a car and he actually scolds them when they spend a few bob ! Miserable or what ?
    My kids will get the prce of my plot and maybe the house, Thats it. What you think ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I expect little more than a predisposition towards depression and male pattern baldness.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I believe in creating a dynasty somewhat in the reflection of the Rockefellers. My vast empire will be left to my first born son to either grow further or be pissed down the drain, its his choice I'll be dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

My Pop told me I'm getting nothing, my Sister from his new marriage is getting the lot. Oh well.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 43 Sparklepants!

OP your mate deserves a nice loud slap in the face. I hope he gets nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

My dad often jokes when he buys stuff that it's coming out of my inheritance and I always say "Flipping right too!".
    I don't give a hoot if I get no inheritance - my folks gave me what matters, their love and time - they helped me when I needed them from the day I was born and they work damn hard.
    If I had a choice of my folks living their last years on a cruise ship living it up and an inheritance - I'd be marching them into that booking office before they could blink!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

OP your mate deserves a nice loud slap in the face. I hope he gets nothing.
    He is not my mate and I hope he gets nothing too. I hate mean people. I dropped a fiance once for that very reason. She was so so miserable !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

four18 wrote: »
    I know this guy who gets cross if his elderly folks change ther car or take a holiday ? The miserable ***tard reckons they are spending HIS Inheritance ? They put him thru collage and bought him a car and he actually scolds them when they spend a few bob ! Miserable or what ?
    My kids will get the prce of my plot and maybe the house, Thats it. What you think ?

This fcuktard needs to be watched carefully, as for any son to be angered/cross with his parents spending their own money defo needs to be watched. Lazy-ass bloke if this is the case and full of greed. I pitty his parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I prefer being able to make my own money.

I wouldn't want to get the house or anything. The stress of owning a property in Ireland...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

That's scandalous, I'm from a wealthy background but am not exactly flowing with cash myself and I personally don't expect anything from my father when he passes on, If they help my son with fees for college in a few years then I'll be happy, My dad earned his money and he should spent it on himself, My brother and sister don't need his money either so my dad should spend it on hookers and holiday's.:)

The guy you know is a greedy shít and I hope they give him nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

expect? NO!

• Advertisement

IM0 wrote: »
    expect? NO!
    Accept ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Couldn't possibly expect such my ma is working the crumlin hospital canteen for thirty ur or thereabouts "just to pay the bills" as she always says, can take all the holidays she wants think she's entitled to spend whatever te fùck it is she has left over on herself after that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

LH Pathe wrote: »
    Couldn't possibly expect such my ma is working the crumlin hospital canteen for thirty ur or thereabouts "just to pay the bills" as she always says, can take all the holidays she wants think she's entitled to spend whatever te fùck it is she has left over on herself after that
    Good chance so she feed myself and my folks when i was up there thirty odd years ago during my run under the knife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

she "worked for bono's brother" before that, some office in town around the turn of the eighties anyhow I doubt many people are retaining much savings these days it's fùckd. There is a house for someone to inherit however n that'll never be sold by me, ohh no not over my dead body. actually I do, smell bitter inheritance wars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭fitzeyboy.

Nope. I hope my parents will do the decent thing and blow it all on themselves. They earned it with hard graft over the years and have put 4 kids through college. If anyone deserves a spectacular retirement it's my parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

My Pop told me I'm getting nothing, my Sister from his new marriage is getting the lot. Oh well.

:-/

People make such retarded decisions when it comes to inheritance. Tools.

fitzeyboy. wrote: »
    Nope. I hope my parents will do the decent thing and blow it all on themselves. They earned it with hard graft over the years and have put 4 kids through college. If anyone deserves a spectacular retirement it's my parents.

Tell them to take a cruise thru Alaska, Barron, Icy, Breathtaking. They deserve it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,201 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Been told I am getting a €1 all cash in a good luck card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

I do expect that I will get some kind of inheritance but that's just because my parents aren't the kind of people who are likely to die with nothing but I wouldn't feel any sense of entitlement to anything. I would never presume to tell them what to do with their own money, now or in the future unless I thought what they were spending it on would adversely affect them. Even then it would only be advise that they could take or leave.

I have two brothers and I imagine that anything that was left after both my parents pass away would be split equally between us and if it was not I cant see myself questioning any decision my parents would make in that regard as anything they pass on to me would be a gift not mine by right and I would look on it as such.

I have seen inheritance really cause rifts in families when siblings feel that they have been unfairly treated or that one of them has taken things they shouldn't have. I would hate to think that anything like that would happen within mine.

But this will never affect me because my parents are never going to die, so shut up!!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Im going to leave everything to boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭hungrypig

hope my parents spend anything they have on themselves to enjoy life. practically speaking the family home will be left and parents are very fair so it will just be split. the inlaws will just leave a bill for their funeral.......bastards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Only winners in inheritance law are the government. Gotta use your money to pay back the bankers right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

One of my sisters and her husband are only waiting for it to happen my parents are only in their early sixties so I think and hope she has a good wait like. Last year my sisters father in law died and she was going on at Christmas about how great it was that he had his affairs in order and so on, basically nearly asking my parents what she could expect. And so the devil got a hold of me as they say around here and I suggested to my parents that they should sell the lot and spend it on nice holidays and any other comforts they would like before they die! She wasn't happy :D

And to be fair they are well entitled, they set each of us up with a property and a car when we came of age so they have given us enough already

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I thought this thread would be about passing on an iphone or something...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

Inheritance that way is something I never heard about really ntil I moved to England and a girl at work told me her grandparents bought her a car from her inheritance because they wanted her to enjoy it while they were alive. I just don't get it- slaving away to save your money to give your family when you die?!

Like some said already I hope my parents enjoy themselves with their money, they've worked hard enough for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

As the eldest son, I will inherit the bulk of my fathers estates in linolnshire and devonshire, my four brothers shall receive handsome yearly allowances ranging from £5000
    - £1000 with provision for substantial increases on their production of a male heir.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Well if I don't the funeral money will be kept and a DIY cremation carried out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

My mam and dad have lots of savings and I always tell them, you had better spend it before you get too old to enjoy it!

Cause if they leave it to me it's going on cars, clothes and holidays!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Strange to see this thread, given that I've been awake since 5am mulling over the fact that I have yet to make a will myself.

Anyway, my folks gave me everything I needed and some of the things I wanted, when I was growing up. I was given a great start in life and that's enough for me. I'm trying to follow that through with my sons. I know exactly where my parents are with their financial affairs and I know it is all designed to give their extended family little treats (birthday presents, the odd €20 when the grandchildren visit etc). That's what gives them happiness

However, their main plan is to have sufficient savings so that they can provide for their own care needs later on. In that respect, they are using any inheritance for the benefit of the family

Legends, both of them

X

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

You should be able to stand on your own two feet once you're in the workplace/finished college. Family buying you cars/holidays/cash handouts in your 20s seems a little much to me.

And actually expecting an inheritence once they die is just a step too far. Their job was to bring you into the work and help you become an independent person.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

I dream about the day when my mum decides to blow her money on male strippers and a trip around the world, sadly she keeps saying she is saving for us. I'd like her to enjoy her life more, she gave us more than we ever deserved. People who expect their parents to live frugally so that they can inherit the lot are nasty eejits who deserve nothing good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I got shag all from any of my departed relatives and did all right in life without it.:)

Ideally, my last will and testament would read: "I, Ellis Dee, being of sound mind, spent it all on booze, dope and whores before I shuffled off this mortal coil ...":D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

oldyouth wrote: »
    Strange to see this thread, given that I've been awake since 5am mulling over the fact that I have yet to make a will myself.

We have the same Foxy avatar and posted within a minute of each other...what's say you leave me everything and I will make sure it goes to an acceptable Fox charity?

my grandparents tell me sometimes i will get this or that but i don't really listen... it's their money and i'd rather they not die in the first place
    ah well
    i am not sure my mother has much to leave me and again i don't care...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

I would rather have nothing than have to face the fact of either of my parents not being here. They are worth far more to me than money and stuff.

OP your mate is a dick!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭bath handle

SKIing by elderly people is a growing problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I'm dreading inheritance issues, all it means to me is having to deal with a difficult sibling. I'd be delighted if it all went to an animal shelter.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't expect to get anything and don't intend to leave anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

My Mam passed away almost 3 years ago and the sperm donor that is my Father moved back into the family home. He kept my Mam short of money all the days of her life and since her death he has promised the family home to each of us (4 in the family), gave little insurance policies (just enough to cover a small funeral, and it will be!!) to each of us.....basically he was a
    sh1t all the days of his life and now he is trying to buy time with his children!!

Personally I could not care less if he gives it to a cat's home.....I managed with nothing from the Prik thus far and it is a source of some satisfaction to me that he has to buy a familial relationship now. Quick blessing, no cars, no flowers, no afters, a hole in the ground or a hot oven............on that the four siblings are completely agreed!!

Bitter much :eek: Didn't realise how angry I am until I started typing this, you should have seen the pre-edit version!!! I most definetly have an evil side!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭bath handle

My sister is always reminding the parents about the cost of nursing homes and medical treatment. keeps saying that you would want plenty of money in the bank for that in reference to any kind of charge. the whole object is to encourage the parents to hoard every penny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

token101 wrote: »
    Well if I don't the funeral money will be kept and a DIY cremation carried out.

And some amount will be spent on punctuation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

As the eldest son, I will inherit the bulk of my fathers estates in linolnshire and devonshire, my four brothers shall receive handsome yearly allowances ranging from £5000
    - £1000 with provision for substantial increases on their production of a male heir.

You're depending on your younger brothers to provide the family with a Male Heir?

My sympathies to you Sir, rotting of the bollocks is a terrible infliction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

I only got a broken locket when I was left on the steps of the orphanage. Some day they will come back for me.

Betya he reads, betya she sews, maybe she will make me a closet of clothes

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NiallFH

My mother keeps telling me she will take me out of her will... I keep telling her she hasnt got anything to leave for me XD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

i don't expect anything and i don't want anything.

it is a sad person who needs to wait for the deaths of family to gain things in life.

if i cant get it myself i don't deserve it.

anyway we have told my terminally ill father that when he dies we will bury his money with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭seanmc1980

i wouldn't expect anything from my parents but thedo have a fair bit of wealth accululated over their life so it is enevitable that they will leave it to me and my 2 siblings. hopefully it can pay off my own house and i can return the favour to my own kids when i die,

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

My dad always jokes that if there is more than a fiver left in his account when he's gone, then the accountant has made a mistake.

I'd rather they spent it on themselves anyway. They worked hard enough to put us through college, even paid for my Masters, and refused to take anything money from me when I got a decent job from it. I was more than happy to contribute towards it, but they just told me I would do the same for my kids. I get them nice Christmas, birthday and anniversary presents instead.

They will both retire in a few years, and I hope they spend whatever they have on whatever they want. They've given myself and the siblings enough over the last 25+ years.

My parents don't have much, they have a lovely little old council cottage that isn't worth an awful lot but is where I grew up, and then whatever bit of savings they have. I know I'm getting exactly half of anything my mam and dad have, because I have been told that everything is to be split exactly equally between me and my sis. However, my parents are still quite young and if they sold their house and went travelling the world I would be bloody thrilled for them. It's not my money, I didn't do anything to deserve it and as someone else already said, I'd rather have them here with me than have their money.

(Though there is this one diamond ring that I really want :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

toexpress wrote: »
    One of my sisters and her husband are only waiting for it to happen my parents are only in their early sixties so I think and hope she has a good wait like. Last year my sisters father in law died and she was going on at Christmas about how great it was that he had his affairs in order and so on, basically nearly asking my parents what she could expect. And so the devil got a hold of me as they say around here and I suggested to my parents that they should sell the lot and spend it on nice holidays and any other comforts they would like before they die! She wasn't happy :D

And to be fair they are well entitled, they set each of us up with a property and a car when we came of age so they have given us enough already
    If you want to piss your sister off I am willing to be adopted by your parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

My parents are spending as much time as possible SKI-ing.

(Spending Kids Inheritence)

And we all love it. There's the family home, which cannot be sold according to their wishes, until my youngest sibling is sorted out with college,and full time job.

Other than that, i sincerly hiope there is not a brass tack left in the coffers when they eventually snuff it!! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement