Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you expect an inheritance?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Won't need any inheritence as it's my turn to win the lotto this weekend (it's true, it's going alphabetically I think).

Unfortunately I intend to have all 5.2 mill spent by nightfall Monday in a Brewsters Millions sort of deal so the irony is I won't be leaving an inheritence either.

As my Grandfather always used to say, "The party's never over". Daft bastárd. Any inheritence he had to pass on was well spent by the time he died in that brothel in Honduras, aged 87, under three whores. He's my idol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Yes I'm expecting about 150,000 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

My mother gets upset when I talk about what I want when she dies. She's a bit odd like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I expect my parents will give me one as that's the kind of people they are. But I don't expect them to have to and I'd prefer them to spend it all and be happy than live in discomfort and keep something for me.

I think I'm lucky that none of my family care that much about money and just want our parents to be happy. My fathers family was torn apart because of fueds of who got what from my grandfather (even before he died as he divided his farm when he retired)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

No, not from my parents. I know they've planned to split everything evenly between me and my siblings. They've given all of us a good start in life in terms of education and other things so I'd rather them enjoy the golden years and spend their money freely than feel they have to leave us something.

I think its selfish to 'expect' an inheritance, its up to people what they want to leave (if anything) after they die. I've recently made a new will for practical reasons as dying intestate is a pain in the hole for relatives, and there's a couple of small bequests to my siblings but Id' say they don't even know about them.

Plus, if they solve the riddle there's bounty beyond their wildest dreams to be found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

allibastor wrote: »
    i don't expect anything and i don't want anything.

it is a sad person who needs to wait for the deaths of family to gain things in life.

if i cant get it myself i don't deserve it.

anyway we have told my terminally ill father that when he dies we will bury his money with him.

Eh, nobody is saying they need to wait 'til a family member dies..it's just the way it is! Sounds like someone's not getting anything! :D

I stand to inherit quite a lot. Honestly, not bothered about it either way. I guess if I have kids I'll pass it on to their futures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I don't want any inheritance, it can be a vicious thing that pulls families apart over petty squables, money, and possessions. I've known too many people who've stopped talking to their siblings because of such.

Huge fight over my grandparent's inheritance ruined my mother's family since none of the relations will talk to each other after fighting over who should get what. Vicious squabble which has lasted years.

It's stupid when your parents legacy boils down to their possessions and how much you deserve them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Privileged thread is privileged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Bambi wrote: »
    Privileged thread is privileged
    You could always check out the crap parents thread for a bit of balance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

My Dad doesn't have anything to pass on, I doubt I will either but I did piss off my future mother in law big time when I said that we decided that if we had money to pass on we would be means testing it, the child gets the amount that would be most helpful to their financial needs. Oh you should have seen her face, priceless, not sure why she was so against it her brother is a millionaire and was given everything in the will.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

I've told my old man to go out and spend all his money / savings.
    Buy that porsche you always wanted.

The regime will just find a way to tax ( the bollox ) out of that shortly as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I would much prefer my parents to spend their money and enjoy their remaining years. Wouldnt bother me in the slightest not to get an inheritance.

My granny is mad with her money. Every few weeks she is threatening to change her will if one of her children annoy her :D Its like something out of King Lear. The funny thing is her children (they are all in their 50's and 60's) all have their own money and arnt interested in any inheritance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

No kids myself so my property which i purchased in the early part of the last decade thanks to the good folks of West Cork and their pyramid scheme paid for will be going to one of my nephews or niece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

One brother got the house, the rest of us had everything divided evenly - but loads went to the solicitor and the government.

The brother who got the house can't get work locally so the house is an empty shell, as he had to go abroad.

We'd rather have our parents alive and well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

I would be lucky to inherit a retarded greyhound with my luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I don't expect a thing....

I set up a trust fund for my nephew of a 5 euros a week tho its for when he goes to college...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

four18 wrote: »
    I know this guy who gets cross if his elderly folks change ther car or take a holiday ? The miserable ***tard reckons they are spending HIS Inheritance ? They put him thru collage and bought him a car and he actually scolds them when they spend a few bob ! Miserable or what ?
    My kids will get the prce of my plot and maybe the house, Thats it. What you think ?

if i was his parents i'd give everything to the cat home when i die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 fatbastard

I know this guy who gets cross if his elderly folks change ther car or take a holiday ? The miserable ***tard reckons they are spending HIS Inheritance ? They put him thru collage and bought him a car and he actually scolds them when they spend a few bob ! Miserable or what ?
    My kids will get the prce of my plot and maybe the house, Thats it. What you think ?

Filthy blood scuking bastard, we all know one of those

my parents have told us everything gets spilt evenly so basically ill get 20% of what they have when they die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've been told to expect an inheritance, but to be honest I couldn't give a hang if my parents sold every thing they own and decided to spend the rest of their lives living it up on the Riviera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

My parents worked hard to get what little they have, and they're allright at the moment. I'll be getting an inheritance, but they should live it up while they can for however long they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

gazzer wrote: »
    My granny is mad with her money. Every few weeks she is threatening to change her will if one of her children annoy her :D Its like something out of King Lear. The funny thing is her children (they are all in their 50's and 60's) all have their own money and arnt interested in any inheritance.

My granny, in her later years, kept repeating that my uncle should get her cutlery as well as his share of anything else when she died "because he had a mortgage". At the time all her children had mortgages, families and cutlery of their own. Never could figure what her obsession with the cutlery was - it was grand, but nothing exciting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

If you want to piss your sister off I am willing to be adopted by your parents.

I can do it all by myself her reaction to my comments at Christmas was that it's ok for me because my partner left me comfortable when he died and I am alone no kids to worry about.

She's a charmer isn't she!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Do you expect an inheritance?

Inheritance tax will probably be 95% in 20 years time, so you'd be lucky to break even after the solicitors expenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I probably will get something and my family home is being left to myself and 3 siblings however i dont want it, i'd rather have my mum around. My sister takes great interest in my mums financial affairs but not to the extent of the OP, i on the other hand encourage my mum to spend her money on what ever she needs or wants and to enjoy it. My dad died 12 years ago and left my mum very well off, she has given the four of us so much money over the years for all our weddings, house deposits, cars, holidays etc etc I dont expect any more from her and hope she enjoys the money herself from now on. We'll all survive just fine without it.

My Parents gave me the one thing money can't buy.

(Poverty).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Bad Panda wrote: »
    Eh, nobody is saying they need to wait 'til a family member dies..it's just the way it is! Sounds like someone's not getting anything! :D

I stand to inherit quite a lot. Honestly, not bothered about it either way. I guess if I have kids I'll pass it on to their futures.

it was directed at the post from the OP. please read the whole thread and think that maybe someone is not talking about YOU. it was a response to the OP>

My Parents gave me the one thing money can't buy.

(Poverty).

i'll sell you my poverty for €10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

MY dads already dead, when my mom dies the only thing i want is the photos, my brothers can have everything else but i want to photos :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

"And to John, who wanted to be mentioned in my will - Hi John!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

Hell no.
    I make my own way in life thank you.
    My parents never inherited anything from theirs and my husbands family are the same. Although my husband was unofficially left two old cars from elderly relatives over the years but both times other relatives "intervened" and made sure he never got them.
    Seen too many families fall out over money so I'd hate to see that happen to us.
    I also know too many people who are dependent on their inheritence to get them "set up". I couldn't live like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

Started out with nothing & I've still got most of it left...I expect nothing, I make my own way in life

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Hell no, I've told my parents to spend everything they've got if they want to. It's their money to enjoy, we should earn our own!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Discussing money, how vulgar,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Oy... The curly wurly in the fridge is mine I said. See you in court they said. It's ripped our family apart.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Frances, who was not a party to yesterday's court case, had in 2005 swapped her quarter share of the family home with, Mary and William French, for two small land sites the couple owned in Florida.
    Noel Goulding, who died in August 2006,
    the year before :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

MY dads already dead, when my mom dies the only thing i want is the photos, my brothers can have everything else but i want to photos :D

So basically pics of GTFO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

RichieC wrote: »
    Oy... The curly wurly in the fridge is mine I said. See you in court they said. It's ripped our family apart.
    I took a bit of my brother's easter egg out of a bowl in our fridge, ruined us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

As the eldest son, I will inherit the bulk of my fathers estates in linolnshire and devonshire, my four brothers shall receive handsome yearly allowances ranging from £5000
    - £1000 with provision for substantial increases on their production of a male heir.

I will never understand the eldest and/or son bias. I find it sickening tbh.
    Or male heir, I couldn't give a bollox.

It may seem like greed but the real problem is no proper provisions for the division of assets. I know other scenarios like this where kids and grandchildren have various fractions of a home the family home, also someone in the family lives there, it's retarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭Wompa1

A few weeks after college my mother came to me in tears that they were broke and the bank wouldn't give them a loan and my siblings were both broke. My brother had his credit card cancelled, ditto for my sister. I was the only option...I took out a loan for 10k euro and gave it to them. I have not been fully paid back and never will.

I fully expect when my parents die. I won't get a red cent but I don't really care, I've already told my parents to give whatever they have left to my siblings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭shaddupayaface

OP thats disgraceful

Dad says he's part of the SKI club, Spending Kids Inheritance :D

Couldn't stop laughing lol

I hope the folks spend all their hard earned cash on themselves and enjoy it. They've already given me and my sis a lovely home to grow up in and are great to our kids. Money isn't everything.

I don't expect anything when they pass, which I hope is not for another looooong time, but I suspect we'll get the gaff and cars between us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I expect 1/3rd share in the family home. If one of my siblings stay living in the family home to take care of my parents in later ages, I will gladly give up my share.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,529 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

A good parent knows when to hand over the cash and gracefully get on the bus to the glue factory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I don't want my folks to ever die, inheriting anything is the last thing on my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭merengueca

Given what has happened to both my parents and their own siblings due to inheritance scullduggery, both our parents and my 3 siblings have always been quite open that wether it is debt or millions that is left behid it will be straightforward 25% split each for the four of us.
    Both my parents have been the sort to make and save money all their lives, they started from nothing and have got themselves into a comfortable position. Its nice that they do splash out when they really want something but it just isn't in their nature to be easy spenders so it would be niave to say there will be nothing. I'm happy that we talk openly about the matter. I just hope it is all a looong way into the future.

My Mum is in a position where she no longer speaks to 3 of her siblings and has strained relationships with the other two. Just compounding the hurt of loosing her parents.
    My Dad has had to involve lawyers with his situation as it was a legal mess of who owned what (grandparents effectivley willed property that wasn't theirs). He no longer has a relationship with two of his siblings.
    In both cases my Parents weren't actually looking for money from either will, they were very hurt at not being treated equally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Wompa1 wrote: »
    A few weeks after college my mother came to me in tears that they were broke and the bank wouldn't give them a loan and my siblings were both broke. My brother had his credit card cancelled, ditto for my sister. I was the only option...I took out a loan for 10k euro and gave it to them. I have not been fully paid back and never will.

How come it fell on your shoulders alone though ? Surely your siblings should have offered to help you repay the loan in some form ?

My own parents are the martyr types, despite the fact they are in perfect health they think they could drop dead tomorrow and that spending their money on there own enjoyment is almost a waste, and what would the childer do for money, never mind the fact we all have pretty good jobs. They don't seem to get the fact we'd rather have happy memories of them enjoying themselves instead of a few quid and a house.

http://www.viz.co.uk/toptips.html
    DON'T BOTHER going to any trouble for loaded, elderly relatives. As their parting shot, they invariably leave the lot to someone who has never lifted a finger to help them.
    Cecil Gaybody, Firkham

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Shiner11

I'd like to get the farm from my dad hopefully. Im currently in college and they do help me out with accommodation and travelling expenses but my mam always makes me feel like a príck when i need to ask them for rent money. I come home every weekend to work on the farm but never get any thanks from her. Since i was fifteen all of the possessions i own were ought by myself, and they are just necessities.

So ya I would like something as a thank you for busting my ass working every weekend no matter how busy I was with college work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Wompa1 wrote: »

I fully expect when my parents die. I won't get a red cent but I don't really care, I've already told my parents to give whatever they have left to my siblings.

What a wonderful son/daughter you are! I hope they appreciate what you did for them.

Your post reminded me about an inheritance I got when I was 15 from my grandad. It rested in a savings account for a few years, when one day my mother phoned me in despair as she was seriously overdrawn and was getting warnings from the bank. I gave her all the money, never wanted or expected it back.

Both my parents died young within a few weeks of each other, and I was amazed there was a fair few pounds in the will. It came to my realisation that my father was as tight as a duck's arse, and just gave my mother enough money for the weekly groceries. She became overdrawn because she would buy the odd bit of clothing for herself in Dunnes Stores. She loved clothes shopping but became frustrated at having no money. My only consolation was for every birthday, mothers day, Christmas, Easter I always gave her money to go and treat herself.

I get upset knowing she should have been spending that money he was squirreling away - instead a huge amount was paid out to solicitors and the government afterwards.

It also taught me a lesson to always earn my own money and never depend on anybody for money!

• Advertisement
Advertisement