Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much do you spend on a workday

• 04-05-2012 2:52am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

I dont work but when I did, Ii could get by on a fiver a day. I had my monthly travel pass and the canteen was subsistied, so a dinner was 3/4 euro and a bit of chocolate on the way home.
    I can imagine with bus /train fares and a sambo it could be loads more than that now. Oh and I bought a 50gm pack of tobacco about every 4 days. What do you spend ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

People go to work to MAKE money, that's the general idea anyway.

If you're spending money you're doing it wrong

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

Where To wrote: »

Do you ''Magic'' yourself into work then ? Petrol ? Fares ? Do you spend money ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

So Where To dose your job provide you with free transport and free food every day you work? Because mine doesn't.

I'm working in Australia at the moment and pay about $6.50 on fuel each day plus about $2.50 on toll roads and about $6 on a role for lunch. Some days I buy a coffee for about $4 so in total I spend about $14 - $18 just while at work and getting there and back that translates to about 10 - 14 euro I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

Doc wrote: »
    So Where To dose your job provide you with free transport and free food every day you work? Because mine doesn't.

I'm working in Australia at the moment and pay about $6.50 on fuel each day plus about $2.50 on toll roads and about $6 on a role for lunch. Some days I buy a coffee for about $4 so in total I spend about $14 - $18 just while at work and getting there and back that translates to about 10 - 14 euro I think.

Mmm May I be so bold as to ask you, what is your average take home pay..per week ? Just wondering ? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

$5 for luch and maybe 20c a day depreciation on the bike...

• Advertisement

four18 wrote: »
    Mmm May I be so bold as to ask you, what is your average take home pay..per week ? Just wondering ? Thanks

No. I'm happy to tell you how much I spend on my lunch and getting to work but I don't think you really need to know my take home pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Bout three'fiddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

bout €3.
    Company car for commuting.
    Free broadband for computing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

four18 wrote: »

Do you ''Magic'' yourself into work then ? Petrol ? Fares ? Do you spend money ?
    I dont spend a penny more than I would if I didnt have a job.

When you're self employed you learn to live frugally

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

25 a day for travel and about 8-10 for food so 33-35 a day in total

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Commute for free.

About a fiver a day on grub.

I dont spend a penny more than I would if I didnt have a job.

When you're self employed you learn to live frugally

Personally I probably spend less on a workday then a non-workday because I don't really have much of an opportunity to spend money in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

Spend about $40 a day on a workday and $200 a day on non work days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Some serious peasants on here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

5 euro per day on diesel, 3 euro on packed lunch.
    Car depreciation? who knows? It depreciates anyway!!
    Wear and tear? Meh, i'm not hard on a car either.

But if i wasn't working then leave out the diesel cost....... No wait, i'd have to leave the kids to school and collect them afterwards.....and thus save a fortune in creche fees!!!!!!:D:D:D.........:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

On a day I bring in food I would spend €2 on a coffee. On the days I don't bring in food and I'm hungry....€8-10 :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

sparrowcar wrote: »
    On a day I bring in food I would spend €2 on a coffee. On the days I don't bring in food and I'm hungry....€8-10 :o

20. food is paid for My travel is paid for most of the way then it's only 20 a week for a bit if petrol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Spend about $40 NZD on any given work day. Lunch, coffee and dinner. I don't smoke or drink Mon-Fri. So $40 solely on food!

/fat bastard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Maybe a fiver return on petrol and that's it, all food, drink, meals & snacks are free ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

7 euro on bus fares and 6 euro on lunch in canteen. So 13 euro a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

In Australia too. $10-15 does me for food for the week. I just make sandwiches at lunch time and cereal in the mornings. About $30 for petrol for the week. My car couldn't possibly depreciate any more so nothing spent there. Works out to be about €30-35 for the week altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

In Oz as well (sure aren't we all). I usually have a can of soup, $3, some bread, $1 for a pan so 20c a day and weekly travel pass $32.80/7 = 4.68 a day. So 7.68 a day. If you add full day, maybe another $5ish for dinner and cereal is 20c a day too. So grand total $12.88, about 37 minutes worth of work....

Detailed enough?

A dollar on petrol, a dollar on coffee, a dollar on fags and two dollars on food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

I bring my own lunch in from home and the train cost £5.80 each day. I agree with the person who said they spend more on a day off than a work day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Used to be about twenty quid or more a day between bus fare, breakfast, hot drink, lunch and newspapers. Then I realised that was a ridiculous amount to be spending. Now it's the bike in, about six quid on food, and I read the news on my phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

€4 on the Dart and between €6-€10 thereafter on lunch and snacks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I used to spend roughly 3.80 on the bus, fiver on food, but then I realized what a stupid waste if it was, and that I'd have to live more economically since I was on my own now, so I started walking to work, which is only 2 miles anyway, and bringing sandwiches, or just grabbing the occasional bargain/reduced section. So now its barely anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

€1-€2 a day. Subsidised canteen and cycle to work. There have been days were I spent nothing as there is also a free "healthy" option available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭ronjo

About 2 euro on petrol and then 5-8 euro on food and drinks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

London:

£5 on travel
    £6 on lunch
    £7 on dinner

c. £18/£20 a day = €25 ish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Lunch is €4.67

Cycle in.

I used to get a coffee on the way in the morning until I realise that a €2 coffee every day for a year was costing me €500 a year :eek:
    And it wasn't very good coffee. So I just bought a €2 mug in Dunnes and fill up on free tea & coffee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Too much. I've started making soup and stew and bought an aero press for coffee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

walk to work, about 4.50 on lunch and then soemtimes Ill pick up dinner on the way home so maybe another €8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Dublin, spend €4.60 a day on the bus. Bring in a sandwich and a yoghurt (shop in Aldi so total cost is probably about €1.50). We get free fruit in work so that's all I need. Maybe once a week I'll treat myself to a non-packed lunch and will spend between €5 and €10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Cigarettes €8.80
    Lunch €4
    Walk to work €0

So around €12.80 normally, could go up if I buy a bar of chocolate.

These last couple of days though about €70 quid because I stopped off in the pub on the way home!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Fook all tbh, I walk to work and come home for lunch! Usually just have a bowl of cereal at lunchtime to keep me ticking over. Prob spend about €6-€7 on dinner and stuff after work so very little expenditure day to day!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NiallFH

€160 on travel for the month so that's about €8 a day on travel if you work it out at 5 days a week.

90% of other days I don't spend anything else, I bring food to work with me. Although if spending online counts then all of my money pretty much lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I spend €70 a week on petrol to get into and out of work (no public transport out in the sticks). Then for food I spend €25 a week on bread, cheese, turkey, egg mayo, milk, tea bags, sugar and eggs and use them during the day for my tea break and lunch. Eat out very rarely so on average I spend €20 a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

In Dublin.

Cycle to work = zero spend

Porridge (morning snack) = less than 1 euro

Packed lunch = €3, maybe €4

4pm snack = €2

Total = €6, maybe €7

That's on a sensible day.

Then there are my not-so-sensible days (like yesterday) when I accompany my boss to an art exhibition and from there we go to the pub and when I leave the pub I'm too impatient/tired/hungry to wait for a bus and take a taxi home. This was in addition to my earlier caution-to-the-wind foolishness, when I ignored the voice of reason bellowing annoyingly in my head, reminding me that I'm supposed to be off cigarettes, and decided to buy 20 of the feckers to satisfy that three-drink intense craving for tobacco.

Total spend = €35 + €7 = €42

21.50 on a weekly bus ticket, maybe another tenner if i'm coming from meath
    sandwich in work is 1.72 or a dinner would be up to 4. porridge another euro

buy chewing gum most days
    that's about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

I spend around 86 euro on for a 30 Day rambler. But that lasts 6 weeks so

86/30 = 2.86666667*5 = 14.3 a week for Dublin Bus

16.70 for Bus Eireann

Then spend first two days just buying a roll ~€6

Then go to restaurants for Wed, Thurs, Fri ~€34

So i spend about 71 on food and transport.

Was not expecting it to be that much :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

25 a day for travel and about 8-10 for food so 33-35 a day in total

Is that euros?
    Sounds like a killer commute!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

3.40 for travel every day. Canteen is subsidized so no more than 4/5 a day (includes breakfast and lunch). Tea and Coffee are free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

I only spend whatever it costs on petrol. Bring my own lunch. No option to 'buy' anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

seamus wrote: »
    Lunch is €4.67

Does this very precise figure mean you eat the same lunch every day or you have a subsidised canteen and all meals are €4.67, or some other reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

about 8 euro on diesel and 3 euro on grub and 1 euro on a coffee if im early

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

For a few years, I was spending over €90 a day on childcare, €10 on petrol and sometimes €5 on lunch (though I generally bought in a packed lunch) which meant I had virtually nothing left at the end of the week.

But I'm glad I persevered as now the children are older and going to afterschool, my outgoings are a lot less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Fizzlesque wrote: »
    Does this very precise figure mean you eat the same lunch every day or you have a subsidised canteen and all meals are €4.67, or some other reason?
    Same lunch every day, more-or-less. Sandwich costs the same regardless of what I get, drink costs the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

approx €15 per day petrol
    approx €3 per day food

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

15 a day on food (brekky and lunch)
    3 on a return dart

so 18 squid a day.

50 on after work pints twice a week :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement