Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Zealand Bus tours

Options
  • 04-05-2012 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Has anyone bused around New Zealand and got any advise on which bus to use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

ecdi wrote: »
    Has anyone bused around New Zealand and got any advise on which bus to use?

KIWI EXPERIENCE -UNREAL

kinda depends on your age....

but my lord it was the highlight of my traveling!!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ecdi

shakencat wrote: »
    KIWI EXPERIENCE -UNREAL

kinda depends on your age....

but my lord it was the highlight of my traveling!!

what age would you want to be for this bus?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

Know people who loved the KE bus, and people who hated it. Alot depends on the crowd you are with apparently...

ecdi wrote: »
    what age would you want to be for this bus?

from like 18 - 30

lad on my bus was 33..

theres Stray too.. which is the same idea but an older age group..

does mostly the same stuff .. each bus has places that others dont go to..

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ecdi

so all ages go on the different bus tours?

Any tour better than rest or are they the same, Stray, Kiwi, Magic seem to be the main ones. looks like Magic have more and cheaper options..

• Advertisement

stray and kiwi were most popular when i was there..

magic was more..

elderly...

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭lauras91

stray is defo not for the older age group! i did a tour around the north island with them 2 years ago, I was 18.. and a lot of people my age and slightly older on it! had the time of my life, a lot depends on the driver though! Would recommend it 100%!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 navilink

As known, Kiwi Experience bus are the infamous 'party' bus, Magic Bus is more for elderly/slow-paced travel? and Stray Bus have good mix of young and old.
    Definitely agree with lauras91 on the drivers also. I've been with Stray bus and I can say they're a good mix bunch of crazy and humorous people! And they're quite knowledgable as when we passed a certain place, they will commentate on the history of the place. And when things get dull/boring, they know how to cheer it up!

Well if you're on your way to get Stray bus, you'll able to save $25-50 by using Stray Mate Code KL3909 (for passes over $400, maybe can try use for below $400 pass, never try though).

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Awful_Bliss

I went on a tour with Strays in 2006. They're really good. Not sure what the previous poster was thinking of when they said it's for the older group - not the case at all. Strays go to some places the Kiwi Experience don't such as Stewart Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 navilink

And not to mention Stray Bus also stops at Gunn's Camp along the way to Milford Sound. I've stayed there for 3 days, and it's one of the funniest place I've stayed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Podgoricka

Hey bro. I have been Living in NZ since end of Jan/Start of Feb. When I got here first I was gonna buy a car, Travel around before settling down. Anyway, Decided against that after talking to some locals and what not. I got a Magic Bus pass. I paid for the North Island and got the South Island for free.!

It is great! I spend all most 3 weeks on one occasion travelling the North island and another few days several weeks later again on the North. I was 20 at the time and am now 21. I didnt find the age to be a problem. Yeah sure, there was at most 2/3 25+ people on any of the buses I got on. I met so many people on Magic and I have the height of praise for them. Even the drivers!! Any night we went out with the drivers, they bought us drinks, food what not.

I have since met up with some of the folks I met on the Magic bus, Plan on meeting some again in OZ when I finally get around to going. I have yet to go to the South Island, But I am at the end of June and Cannot wait to get on the bus again!

Anyway, I did hear that Kiwi was better and tbh, Never heard a whole lot about stray. HOWEVER.... Kiwi Experience people (From sharing hostels, meeting them etc...) I found alot less out going than all the people on my Magic Bus....

Anyway thats my piece.

Have fun in NZ! Its awesome!

Advertisement