Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spend Convictions Bill

• 04-05-2012 8:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭

http://news.ie.msn.com/spent-convictions-bill-published

Looks like we're going in the right direction. Anyone know if there is anything in the works regarding getting fines paid - such as wages or social welfare being garnished rather than locking people up?

I do wonder if the IT might have a better photo though - every time I see this I'm reminded of the late great Peter Faulk - and more specifically Columbo.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I would disagree to a point ....I dont know the specifics of the bill but on the face of it ...the ministers solution to crime is to release criminals early and wipe their convictions from record.

Not exactly punishing them is it ?

we need to move away from a system of reform and back to a system of punishment - make prisons a horrible place to go, remove state benefits or reduce them for those who do not obey state rules (the law) - simple enough solution to allow criminals pay for their crimes.

also - forget free legal aid....subsidised legal aid - where a person has to pay €10-20...or even €25 PER APPEARANCE for any court appearances, if a person is on welfare - have the welfare deducted at source - this will quickly stop many cases in the district court getting adjourned and adjourned for trivial matters and since the criminally accused will have to financially suffer they will also expedite matters and in the future would simply plead guilty at an early stage to avoid the extra hassle of loosing welfare money when they know they will be found guilty anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

PCPhoto wrote: »
    we need to move away from a system of reform and back to a system of punishment - make prisons a horrible place to go, remove state benefits or reduce them for those who do not obey state rules (the law) - simple enough solution to allow criminals pay for their crimes.

That simply doesn't work though, they become angrier and further isolated from society, leading to worse criminal behaviour upon release. Alternative punishment is a far better option. As for the bill itself it will only apply as far as I'm aware to single convictions so will give individuals who make a mistake (something we're all capable of) the chance to atone for this provided they don't reoffend.
    PCPhoto wrote: »
    also - forget free legal aid....subsidised legal aid - where a person has to pay €10-20...or even €25 PER APPEARANCE for any court appearances, if a person is on welfare - have the welfare deducted at source - this will quickly stop many cases in the district court getting adjourned and adjourned for trivial matters and since the criminally accused will have to financially suffer they will also expedite matters and in the future would simply plead guilty at an early stage to avoid the extra hassle of loosing welfare money when they know they will be found guilty anyway.

This would potentially lead to cases where the less well off have no chance of a fair trial, one of the fundamental aspects of any decent legal system. Legal aid, whether you like it or not, is there to ensure criminally accused benefit from fair procedures, there is an obligation to protect the innocent, mess around with this too much and the entire criminal justice process is undermined.

Advertisement