Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a Mashtun - what are my options?

Options
  • 04-05-2012 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Ok so I'm thinking of brewing all-grain and I need to get some equipment ready. Firstly, the mashtun. Here are a few ideas I was thinking about:

1) Coleman Coolbox 70 qt Conversion
    Basically buy a big coolbox, connect some copper pipe together with a tap and place in the bottom of the coolbox. Hot water would be supplied from a Burco Boiler which I already own.

2) Burco Boiler Conversion
    I was thinking of putting a false bottom in it and boiling directly in the Burco. However I'm thinking the heating element will eventually burn out and will need replacing.

3) Stainless Keg Conversion
    Get a keg, cut a hole in the top and boil ontop of a gas element.
    It will also need a tap fitted.

Option 1 seems the most expensive of the 3. A good coolbox will set me back over 100 euro delivered.

Option 2 seems like it would work except for the heating element issue. Plus I will need to use the Burco for other stuff, dont want to ruin it.

Option 3 seems like its the best of the 3, no element issues and its an all in one job. Will need to drill and attach a tap.

What do you guys think. What are you using as a mashtun and what are the pro's and cons and overall cost approx? Throw up a few photos if you have any. Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I'm not a masher, but €100 seems a lot for a coolbox conversion. Have you checked prices in Argos? Lidl and Aldi sometimes have cheap ones. There's a step-by-step conversion guide here, and a simpler one here.

For options 2 and 3 you're best going for brew-in-a-bag where you use the same container as mash tun and kettle. If you don't already have a burco or keg, you can buy a boiler from a homebrew shop, or convert a fermenter with your own element. I use the one linked to there. Three years and the element is still going fine.

I know a guy in Dublin who makes custom brew-in-a-bag bags and I've heard they're very good. I can give you details if that's how you're thinking of going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Hi

I went with the cooler box, as they off the best insulation with the least work. The Stainless Keg Conversion is another great option, but may need so additional insulation

Any any hope the below is of some help to you ?

Here is a mash tun I did a few years ago as part of an upgrade and have a bigger mash tun available to use. It’s a 66liter igloo cool box with SS braiding, as my standard mash tun has a limit of around 23 litres for 1.070 ‘ish beers. I want something that would allowed to bigger beers and do 40 liters (10 gallons) of standard beer if I want to. :D

Here are some picks of it

DSC00213-1.jpg

Tap
    DSC00210-1.jpg

Inside the mash tun

DSC00212-1.jpg

I have since up graded the SS braiding as I would never get it to work satisfactorily, here are some shot of the copper manifold and the mash tun in action: Brewing an historical Russian Imperial Stout from Courage

The new copper manifold in my 70 liter mash tun
    DSC00656.jpg

Mash in
    DSC00650.jpg

Run off, first and only
    DSC00651.jpg

Spent hops, a whole load!
    DSC00654.jpg

Up grading my mash tun
    http://www.beoir.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1226&p=15389&hilit=66+igloo#p15389

Russian Imperial Stout: Dutch courage
    http://www.beoir.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1945&p=23611&hilit=

Advertisement