Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who else has crap parents?

• 04-05-2012 9:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

I had crap parents. My summers consisted of my sister and I sitting outside amusement arcades for 12 hours a day as my mother and father spent all their money on poker machines.

My parents never had a mortgage and always had plenty of money for themselves. They still have.

I once broke my arm and was not brought to the hospital for two days because it did not suit them. I never had any lunch going to school. They never took any interest if I went in or not.

During the 80s my mother made me wear a break dancing tracksuit that was grey and pink. It was a hand me down from a female cousin. Well it thought me to fight :)

Everything they ever did for us was an after thought and half arsed.

I was never sexually abused and there was never any bad violence in the home so I know it could have been a lot worse.

Does any one else have crap parents?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

Yea, I was never abused per say but in an ideal world my parents should never have been allowed have kids. They were **** parents whos apathy towards our wellbeing and self delusion bordered on criminal.

Ive forgiven them for this but most of my brothers and sisters have not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Some times he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds, pretty standard really. At the age of 12 I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum, it's breathtaking, I suggest you try it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

my mom is a total bitch, she wouldnt buy me a car until i was like 19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

summerskin wrote: »
    Very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Some times he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds, pretty standard really. At the age of 12 I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum, it's breathtaking, I suggest you try it.

and you sued them for 1 MILLION DOLLARS!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't know diary, sometimes I think you're the only one that gets me, you're my best friend... I feel like tacos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 naysayer

Very well, where do I begin...

I think that was one of the best posts I've ever read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

lousy beatniks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I had crap parents. My summers consisted of my sister and I sitting outside amusement arcades for 12 hours a day as my mother and father spent all their money on poker machines.

My parents never had a mortgage and always had plenty of money for themselves. They still have.

I once broke my arm and was not brought to the hospital for two days because it did not suit them. I never had any lunch going to school. They never took any interest if I went in or not.

During the 80s my mother made me wear a break dancing tracksuit that was grey and pink. It was a hand me down from a female cousin. Well it thought me to fight :)

Everything they ever did for us was an after thought and half arsed.

I was never sexually abused and there was never any bad violence in the home so I know it could have been a lot worse.

It seems to me that there is a strong possibility that, after one of your outings, you and your sister actually went home with the wrong people, and they were too polite to tell you.

Your real parents could still be looking for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Ash Ketchum.
    His parents don't care that he travels the world getting into fights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Awwww I thought you made that up yourself, then I googled it :( still though, hilarious :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

I only have my dad, and he messed up a lot of stuff when I was growing up, but he's always happily paid for the endless rounds of therapy I had to put myself through during my tormented 20s.

It's a hard question to answer because while he really screwed up my childhood, it wasn't down to not caring.

We're great friends now, so all's well that ends well

[what's that nurse, my computer time is over ---- already!! No, no, take that needle away from meeeeeeeee :eek:]

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

My mum and dad used to go out for dinner with their friends while me and my brothers would be left alone in our room. This even happened on holidays.
    Eventually I was kidnapped when on holidays by loving parents who even fixed my wonky eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Borboletinha

My dad is far from good, my mum is great though so it balances out. What I dont know is why she ever married him in the first place...:confused:
    Thank god theyre divorced now... Best thing that ever happened to her...

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

My parents were so bad that I did a sh!t in my potty once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Ash Ketchum.
    His parents don't care that he travels the world getting into fights.

Parents? Ash Ketchum has one parent, his mother. His father's dead.

Or he might as well be...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

My Mum's great. Couldn't do enough for me. I couldn't think of a bad word to say about her.

My Dad's a cunt and I barely see him.

So my parenting balances out so :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

My Mum's great. Couldn't do enough for me. I couldn't think of a bad word to say about her.

My Dad's a cunt and I barely see him.

So my parenting balances out so :cool:

How did those fabulous ladies settle for and stay with those arseholes?? My Father and Mother had not lived together for 16 years but he still insisted on speaking at her funeral. It was only my total respect for my Mother that stopped me getting up and walking out.....she was 64 when she died.......that fecker will live forever! Sorry for going off topic but, this thread brought up so much anger in me, deep breaths and away I go to my Happy Place:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

My father knocked out my 2 front teeth when I was 6

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

My father drop kicked me when I was a toddler

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Probably my fault though, he pushed me down a large hill on my first bike.

I pulled the front brakes because I was going way too fast and was pooing myself.

went over the handlebars and landed on the tarmac using my 2 front teeth.
    had no front teeth for the next few years.

the mother never lets him forget that one, even to this day. ha ha

• Advertisement

You were lucky. I had to get up at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down at the mill and pay the mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our mother and father would kill us and dance on our graves singing Halleluja.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Sorry to hear that OP - I have issues with my parents like anyone but nothing on that scale.

I reckon everybody can look back at how they were raised, and figure out what they should do differently. Some people just shouldn't have kids though. And based on some contact with the care system, the majority of those neglectful/abusive parents hang onto their children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I know a guy whose parents used to just leave him in his cot when he was a baby, then go out for the night. They reasoned that since he couldn't climb out of the cot he'd be grand. Other than that they seemed grand.

My parents are fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

A cuckoo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Urg tell me about it. You won't believe what my parents did yesterday!

They provided me with shelter, education and good manners.

Parents are the worst like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

My dad tried to convince me to support Liverpool. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

My dad tried to convince me to support Liverpool. :eek:

I am contacting social services

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

My father drank himself into having brain damage last week and now has severe memory loss, doesn't recognize his own family, threatened to choke me when I challenged the fact he is making up stories and now will most likely be dependent for the rest of his life. The nurse said he was the most manipulative and evasive man she had ever met, even with an Iq now bordering on moderate mental retardation. Once when he was sober, I was staying with him and we were coming home late after a family visit. His neighbors saw him from afar entering into his house with a young woman (me) and began wolfwhistling and catcalling at him because it looked like he had someone back for the night. He gave them a thumbs up and walked inside. He was too conscious of his reputation than to think how totally disgusted I was.

My mother, after being abused by him for 20 years, and separated from him for 10, and despite hating the man, went to his apartment, scrubbed everything clean after all the filth he had left, carted all his clothes two hours to home, and cleaned them all. She has stocked his freezer for when he gets home. She has also invited him for christmas dinner every year since they divorced, and on the day of her divorce she allowed him sober up at her house. She is absolutely amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I read about this family once the schnitzels, britzels, blitzvels, something like that, they didn't sound like the best parents either.
    The Fritzels - that was it.:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Musefan wrote: »
    I was staying with him and we were coming home late after a family visit. His neighbors saw him from afar entering into his house with a young woman (me) and began wolfwhistling and catcalling at him because it looked like he had someone back for the night. He gave them a thumbs up and walked inside.
    Are you hot looking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Thread reminds me of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭decembersun77

Musefan wrote: »
    My father drank himself into having brain damage last week and now has severe memory loss, doesn't recognize his own family, threatened to choke me when I challenged the fact he is making up stories and now will most likely be dependent for the rest of his life. The nurse said he was the most manipulative and evasive man she had ever met, even with an Iq now bordering on moderate mental retardation. Once when he was sober, I was staying with him and we were coming home late after a family visit. His neighbors saw him from afar entering into his house with a young woman (me) and began wolfwhistling and catcalling at him because it looked like he had someone back for the night. He gave them a thumbs up and walked inside. He was too conscious of his reputation than to think how totally disgusted I was.

My mother, after being abused by him for 20 years, and separated from him for 10, and despite hating the man, went to his apartment, scrubbed everything clean after all the filth he had left, carted all his clothes two hours to home, and cleaned them all. She has stocked his freezer for when he gets home. She has also invited him for christmas dinner every year since they divorced, and on the day of her divorce she allowed him sober up at her house. She is absolutely amazing.

Im sorry to hear about your father. He had some serious issues so he did. Your mother is a great person.

I think my parents should have never have gotten married but then me and my brothers wouldn't of been born. I don't know maybe it was meant to be by some twist of fate. Anyways our basic needs were met and some of our social needs were met too but that was about it. I have learned not to need my parents and I don't need a family either, although I love them and care about them. I have always depended on myself because I know I won't let myself down. It can get upsetting sometimes because there are people that talk about their families and seemed to have a good relationship and fun with their families/parents. I don't know why people talk about things when you don't even need to know and you didn't ask them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

My therapist says I blanked out a whole bunch, so I don't remember a lot of my childhood. I do know that apparently my Pop was a demon, but my Mom was and is infinitely worse. Dad is a really good guy, now, really supporting of all my stupid ideas and is even helping me make a robot suit. My Mom is a manipulative bitch I haven't spoken to in years. I'm two teeth down because of her. We ended up in her custody because she kidnapped us after going missing for something like two years, and for some reason the courts decided we were better off being with her than with him, despite him having a career, a decent enough family (Grandparents were the absolute best), so on. I blame the fucked up court system over here for the Hell my Sisters and I went through just as much as I blame my Mom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

This thread is depressing for a Friday afternoon on a bank holiday :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I genuinely couldn't have hoped for better parents. I'll always respect the things they've done for us, particularly during their separation, when our happiness and well being was placed before their own problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Has anyone ever tried to talk to a parent about how much of a crap parent they were its hilarious ah no shure that was your [other parent]'s fault *continues doing what they were doing - pause* shure I brought you to the beach that time, remember that, that was great you had a grand childhood so you did what are you talking about?..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

naysayer wrote: »
    I think that was one of the best posts I've ever read.

You do realise the poster 'borrowed' this, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,261 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

My mother is amazing, don't have a bad word to say about her. She always put the family before herself. A truly incredible woman.

My parents separated when I was a toddler so I don't remember living with my dad. My older siblings have told me it wasn't good. My mother has told me lots of bad things about him. He has a lot of problems and wasn't able to deal with them.

In the few times I've met him in my life, I've found him to be a detestable character: manipulative, antagonistic, insensitive, I could go on and on. In some ways, I'm glad he didn't raise me as I imagine it wouldn't have been nice. My family life was happy as a kid so I'm glad that wasn't damaged by having an unhappy influence added to the mix.

I always wonder how my mother ended up with him. My mother remarried and her new husband is also a gob****e, though he parades as a nice guy. I don't know how she picks them.

• Advertisement

Well there's at least one poster who didn't know, and the lack of quotes suggests someone trying to take credit for someone elses creativity. No doubt you plagarised the picture also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

My parents used to go out most nights and get píssed. My father took so much sick leave from work, it was unreal. They would then ring me at 2 or 3am to go out and pick them up and on the way home they would proceed to have a row which sometimes involved physical violence. Things would really kick off when they got home. I would be falling asleep at school the next day.

When I was sixteen, I was going through a really rough time and one evening asked my "dad" could I talk to him - his response was before he grabbed his jacket and fúcked off out drinking was "talk to me when Im drunk" which he thought was hilarious. My mother worked all the hours that god sent when she wasn't drinking but he would do anything he could to avoid work. He insisted I go to college so as he said himself "I would get a big job and look after him."

To my father, my siblings and I were just byproducts of something he liked doing. He never spent time with us or did any of the normal things that a dad does with their children. He hoped to use us when we got older and started earning to provide for him! He eventually got fired from his job and has lived off my mother ever since. He is still the same, if there is any work to be done he will run a mile. We hardly speak now, but I have managed to have a kind of normal relationship with my mother (she doesn't drink as much now).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Yep my ma was f*cking horrible.

I was playing basketball one day when a couple of guys who were up to no good started trouble, I ended up in one fight and she sent me off to live with my aunt and uncle who live miles away (forced me to take a cab and pay with my own money) she said she was scared or something (bullsh*t she just didn't want to look after me). Jokes on her though, my Aunt and Uncle are loaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭AnnaVanilla

This thread makes me want to give a lot of hugs :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Crikey after reading some of the replies i have to be thankful for the brilliant parents i had (my dad died 12yrs ago, my mum is still alive) I couldnt say one bad thing about them, i love them both to bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

CJC999 wrote: »
    Crikey after reading some of the replies i have to be thankful for the brilliant parents i had (my dad died 12yrs ago, my mum is still alive) I couldnt say one bad thing about them, i love them both to bits.

Lucky you! As they say you can choose your friends but not your family.

juan.kerr wrote: »

Well there's at least one poster who didn't know, and the lack of quotes suggests someone trying to take credit for someone elses creativity. No doubt you plagarised the picture also.

http://www.troll.me/images/creepy-willy-wonka/you-must-be-new-here-thumb.jpg

Looking forward to something original from you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

CJC999 wrote: »
    Crikey after reading some of the replies i have to be thankful for the brilliant parents i had.
    I think I should get the parachute because I'm great. In fact, I think I should get both the parachutes, in case one of them doesn't work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement