Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2012 Cooking Club Week 18: Beef Tagine with Cous Cous

• 04-05-2012 10:02am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I've made this a few times - enjoy it.

tcctagine.jpg

Ingredients

500g diced beef
    1 medium onion chopped
    1 sweet potato cut into cubes
    2 tomatoes chopped
    1 tin of chickpeas, drained
    1 orange zest
    225g cous cous
    1 tsp ground cumin (optional)
    1 tsp dried mixed herbs
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 tsp chilli powder
    1 tsp sugar
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 tbsp plain flour
    450ml beef stock
    50g raisins
    350ml chicken stock or boiling water
    Salt and pepper

Method

Fire up your oven to 170°C.

Mix the herbs with cumin, cinnamon, chilli powder and the sugar.

tcctagine2.jpg

Add a little olive oil to coat the beef. Add the spice/herb mix to the meat. Cover and put the meat in the fridge for 30 minutes.

tcctagine3.jpg

Next, fry off it on a large frying pan and then transfer it to your ovenproof casserole dish.

Next, fry the onions, garlic and sweet potato for approx 3-4 minutes until well browned. Add the plain flour and stir this with the vegetables for a minute or two. Then mix in your chopped tomatoes with the beef stock.
    Pour all of this into your casserole dish, mix in with the meat and place into the oven and simmer for 1 hour until the meat is tender.

tcctagine4.jpg

Check the dish every 20 minutes to give it a stir and if you feel the mixture is becoming too dry add in some additional stock.

After the hour mark, add the chickpeas, raisins and orange zest and return to the oven for a further 20-30 minutes.

tcctagine5.jpg

Cous Cous

Add the cous cous to a large bowl, pour in the boiling water or the chicken stock and cover with cling film. Leave aside for 8-10 minutes. Remove the cling film, fluff up the mixture with a fork. Season with some salt and pepper. Additional suggestions include serving with some natural yoghurt or toasted almonds.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

For this would you use stewing beef or what type is best suited?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Oh, i think i will be giving this ago on monday

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

fitzcoff wrote: »
    For this would you use stewing beef or what type is best suited?

Well, the packets I get tend to say 'lean diced beef', that's generally grand for the slow cooker. Haven't had a problem with it in 2 hour casserole set up, either. Not sure if this answers your question sufficiently..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

Cheers OP! Made the Tagine yesterday and was very happy with the result. There are so many different flavours contained in it, and it's soooo filling! :D

Only have the pic from when it came out of the oven, I was too hungry to photograph it after plating.

e22f5e16992011e1989612313815112c_7.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I think I might make this over the next few days :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

That's great, pts. Thanks for trying it, the flavours do come out well alright. What sort of beef did you use?

It's a supermarket recipe, so you're supposed to be able to make it for around €8 assuming you have the spices, etc already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

Yeah it worked out fairly cheaply. I had most of the things, just had to get the meat (the same one you got I think, the packaging looks the same), a sweet potato and an orange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

2 tomatoes chopped
    ???

Do you mean a tin of chopped tomatoes?

I used one tin of chopped tomatoes. However, the supermarket leaflet/website says '2 (brand X) tomatoes, chopped'. Link

Faith, or one of the other mods, could I trouble you do put 'drained' next to the tin of chickpeas in the OP? Thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

This is nearly ready.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

we had this last night and loved it.

there is no photo cos i completely misjudged the times and it wasnt ready until nearly 10pm last night and i was far too hungry to stop and take a photo.

Thanks for trying it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

This looks amazing! I'm hoping to try this tomorrow evening but I won't have the time to do it all as I am in late enough, would it be okay to prepare tonight and put in the oven on a timer in the morning for tomorrow evening? Thanks :)

I'd say it'll be fine to leave it siting in the fridge over night. Oven should also be OK, assuming you trust your timer. ;) I've never tried that...might take a while for the thing (stock, etc) to heat up. Dunno if it'll need a bit extra time...each oven is different. Also, forgot to mention in the OP that I generally put a layer of tinfoil on top of casseroles, but I can't recall if I did that in this case.

Hope it works out for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Bit of a bump for this thread, but made this on Saturday, except used lamb (and lamb stock) instead of beef. I used tinned tomatoes and for me the whole thing was a bit TOO liquidy, next time I'd definitely reduce the amount of stock. I think I'd leave it for longer next time too because, although the lamb was lovely and tender, it wasn't completely breaking up with the slightest touch, which is how I love my lamb! Also, I had the chickpeas in for over 30 minutes and they were somehow still a bit firm, which I thought was strange. But overall I enjoyed it!

lyr2btp.jpg

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I made this today. I used a bunch of quartered cherry tomatoes and halved the beef stock quantity since I was cooking it in a covered tagine pot. I chopped some fresh mint into the couscous and also served some flatbreads made to Chucken's recipe in the "two ingredients" thread.

beef-tagine.jpg

Delicious!

I forgot to mention that I cooked the couscous in chicken stock that I made according to Sparks' recipe in the random recipe thread. It's starting to feel like everything I cook is inspired by this forum on some level :pac:

Well, excuse me Mr. I have my own tagine... :pac:

They had them in Aldi last year. I couldn't resist...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

This looks yummy, I live alone so I cook big pots and then freeze portions, this looks like it would be perfect. Will have to free up some space in my fecking freezer first though.

Advertisement