Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How Bidding Process at a Mart Works?

• 04-05-2012 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Heading to the mart on Saturday and want to buy a few animals. have been going for the past few weeks getting a feel for what I'm after, prices, etc. The only thing I can't figure out fully is the bidding process. I want to buy the animals myself but don't want to be embarressed by doing something silly! Can somebody go through the process involved. I think I know the basics but for example, I don't know what the auctioneer means when he says " you're out!". Any help greatly appreciated - Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

... I don't know what the auctioneer means when he says " you're out!". ....
    "You're out" just means you are not the highest bidder. So you have to bid again to "get back in", as it were.
    You've got to keep an eye on where the other bids are coming from so that you'll know if you are the highest bid or not. Say it's down to just 2 bidders, yerself and another guy. If he's at the other side of the mart then no problem. If he happens to be beside you then the auctioneer will have to tell you that you are not the last bid , so that you can bid again if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Native Hawk

OK - thanks! Is there anything to stop me waiting until bidding is nearly over and then coming in with my bid, even when its on the market?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

OK - thanks! Is there anything to stop me waiting until bidding is nearly over and then coming in with my bid, even when its on the market?

Not a thing, but it often can be easier to get in early. Make sure you have established that you are actually bidding. Eye contact is important with the auctioneer.
    You can get some education around the sales ring. Best of luck!

When I think of it. I would buy nothing in the ring that I have not inspected outside beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

bit of an ebay job your thinking of doing!! biggest danger in doing this is that the auctioneer could have is eyes focused on say 2 guys bidding against each other and not catch your bid

Thanks for your help guys! What about the position I take up around the ring? Does it matter where I stand (around the ring, up the back, etc). What signals should i use when bidding? Any other advice for me you think might help tomorrow

• Advertisement

Thanks for your help guys! What about the position I take up around the ring? Does it matter where I stand (around the ring, up the back, etc). What signals should i use when bidding? Any other advice for me you think might help tomorrow

Maybe you're better being away from where you think most of the bidding action is because when you do bit it can be easier to see that the auctioneer is taking your bids.
    Use whever signal you like as long as you are sure you have attracted the attention of the auctioneer. When you have, and you're sure you have, the bid can be subtle if you like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 hiltonclary

I am also not much aware of bidding. I just know about it is that the people speak a particular amount on something and if someone else ready to invest more money then the thing is gone to the person investing the highest amount. In bargaining we try to reduce the amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

bit of an ebay job your thinking of doing!! biggest danger in doing this is that the auctioneer could have is eyes focused on say 2 guys bidding against each other and not catch your bid

Yep this is a potential problem for you with leaving it late to get stuck in

Especially if you are new to the mart - the auctioneer won't know to look for you

On the first couple of lots you bid for i think you should get stuck in early and once you are more comfortable then you can leave it a bit later if you want

Be careful not to get a name for yourself as well - quite often if a fella jumps in at the end people will think that he is pushing them on

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Yep this is a potential problem for you with leaving it late to get stuck in

Especially if you are new to the mart - the auctioneer won't know to look for you

On the first couple of lots you bid for i think you should get stuck in early and once you are more comfortable then you can leave it a bit later if you want

Be careful not to get a name for yourself as well - quite often if a fella jumps in at the end people will think that he is pushing them on

Agree entirely.
    Many lads think they will leave it to the last and then end up disappointed that the auctioneer didn't see them.
    Also some dealers in particular get really annoyed at someone "jumping in" on a lot they have "followed" from the start and will keep pushing (roasting) you for every subsequent lot you bid on.
    If interested, it is best to get in early. The auctioneer will always come back to you before dropping the hammer and your intent and commitment to buy may deter other bidders, thereby making purchase easier for you:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

If i was you, i would have a quick word with the auctioneer before the sale starts to tell him your name and that you might buy a few cattle, if he doesnt already know you.This will save the hassle of having to do this during the sale.

Best of luck with it, it's one thing watching a cattle sale but actually trying to buy a few cattle can be a real eye opener. I'd stand well away from the dealers. They will be welded to each other along the ringside with their arms in the ring carrying on like as if they already own the cattle even before they are sold.:D

• Advertisement

When you start bidding first, you will have to wave your hand out so that the auctioneer can see you. After that, lifting a finger or something subtle like that, is enough.
    The most important thing though, is to know the value of the cattle you want to buy and have an upper limit that you won't pass. Pick your cattle out beforehand and give them a good lookover. You may also end up bidding on 5 or so lots before you actually buy, so be patient.
    I remember the first time I bought cattle on my own, I wasn't sure whether I bought them or not. It happened so quick.........:D
    Great feeling though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

One thing I would say if its your first time buying, Dont make the opening bid on the animal, the dealers will pull them down a lot before they open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

tanko wrote: »
    If i was you, i would have a quick word with the auctioneer before the sale starts to tell him your name and that you might buy a few cattle, if he doesnt already know you.This will save the hassle of having to do this during the sale.

Best of luck with it, it's one thing watching a cattle sale but actually trying to buy a few cattle can be a real eye opener. I'd stand well away from the dealers. They will be welded to each other along the ringside with their arms in the ring carrying on like as if they already own the cattle even before they are sold.:D

Beware of the fckuing auctioneer as well. Them boyos, know well how to lighten the pocket of a novice buyer. You might well end up competing with yourself, with the auctioneer taking phantom bids.:pac:

Thank you all for your help! Am very excited about tomorrow now and a little nervous! Hopefully can get what I am looking for at a good price!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

i bought for the first time in a mart in Feb, after going to a few in Jan and Feb and selling cattle myself last year in a mart.

What i did was write your name on an envellope that if u buy the details are at hand to show auctioneer/assistant. then it looks like your prepared to buy. ;)

Then bid on an animal you wount mind buying and bid for 2 or 3 times and then pull out. The auctioneer then knows you have limits and its self decipline. The auctioneers and dealers if given a chance will fleece you. I have heard stories that would shock you.

And my lessons. Well for 2 years i bought calves off a dealer. This year i went to the mart. A few days i picked up a few, some none. What im saying is they will come in time at the right price and quality :D> Its an achievement and fun. Then off to the office to pay and get cards. Then sort the few you bought into a single pen is some fun not:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

Thank you all for your help! Am very excited about tomorrow now and a little nervous! Hopefully can get what I am looking for at a good price!
    what mart are you going to,i might bring some cheap ones;);).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

i bought for the first time in a mart in Feb, after going to a few in Jan and Feb and selling cattle myself last year in a mart.

What i did was write your name on an envellope that if u buy the details are at hand to show auctioneer/assistant. then it looks like your prepared to buy. ;)

Then bid on an animal you wouldn't mind buying and bid for 2 or 3 times and then pull out. The auctioneer then knows you have limits and its self decipline. The auctioneers and dealers if given a chance will fleece you. I have heard stories that would shock you.

And my lessons. Well for 2 years i bought calves off a dealer. This year i went to the mart. A few days i picked up a few, some none. What im saying is they will come in time at the right price and quality :D> Its an achievement and fun. Then off to the office to pay and get cards. Then sort the few you bought into a single pen is some fun not:rolleyes:

This is good advice. It is very easy get roped in. Don't get fixated on any one animal. Remember like buses, there is always another one coming along. Have plenty of patience.

I know lads say go look at your animals in pens before hand, but it can also leave you just fixated oin these and you think you have to buy them at any cost. It is good from a health status point of view though to have a look at them in the pens, but pick out about twice the number that you intend to buy.

Have someone with you to help you take animals out of the pens after you buy (and have gone to the office paid for your purchases, got the bluecards and pass out slip).

They will possibly be all different lots, so sort them all into a pen that is not being used. Then bring them all to the chute to get them passed out.

Best of luck with it all. The first time is always the hardest and most nerve wracking, but you have to start somewhere!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Attended the mart once with my Dad, it was for sheep that day so the pens were loaded and the auctioneer walks along the gangway above the pens as you move along. I suppose that's standard.

But I just have a technical question

The mart is very fast and furious so what happens in a dispute?

Is this recorded somehow? Do the auctioneers have a voice recorder? Or maybe a clerk is recording everything as they move along the pens?

Just wondering, sorry for the slight hijack
    It might help the OP anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭bonaparte2

The buyers are all gentlemen and as such accept each others word without hesitation.

As a consequence , disputes are unheard of!

bonaparte2 wrote: »
    The buyers are all gentlemen and as such accept each others word without hesitation.

Jaysus Bonaparte have you led a sheltered existance:D

The auctioneer is recorded, if there is a dispute, and they DO occur, the client or indeed both parties can listen back to the tape.

Sometimes even gentlemen can behave ungentlemanly!

• Advertisement

OP,
    I take it you don't have cattle at home already. If not, be careful buying single cattle. You may end up buying just one. A wild one can be a nighmare to bring home in a trailer alone. Worst still if you have to let him out in a field on his own. He will take to the hills in no time.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 29 jdmurf

Some great advice so far op, take note especially of inspecting lots beforehand, handing name to auctioneer or clerk, watch dates of birth, bidding on lots and pulling out early, don't pull out at same price over the weight every time, don't buy a single first! Enjoy the experience!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

bonaparte2 wrote: »

Ha, reading this post you'd think farmers settle disputes with ten paces and pistols at dawn :D

How did you get on? ;)

Muckit wrote: »
    How did you get on? ;)

Come on lad...........Spill the beans:)

He got stuck in a fistycuffs with the local dealer boys....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

tanko wrote: »

Yes, yes, yes & yes. It's the most awkward thing being in an office and seeing *blue cap* or *red top* on a sheet.

Also I agree with making yourself acquainted with where the dealers are. Steer away from them and make sure they don't know you're a first time buyer.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Attended the mart once with my Dad, it was for sheep that day so the pens were loaded and the auctioneer walks along the gangway above the pens as you move along. I suppose that's standard.

But I just have a technical question

The mart is very fast and furious so what happens in a dispute?

Is this recorded somehow? Do the auctioneers have a voice recorder? Or maybe a clerk is recording everything as they move along the pens?

Just wondering, sorry for the slight hijack
    It might help the OP anyway

Sheep are not always recorded, we just installed a new system with a portable mike/recorder to solve this.
    On occasion the mart is left with a beast that was written incorrectly down or to an unknown buyer that doesn't give his name. So then these will be sold/bargained with to another (usual) buyer.
    Not great in the long run but it has to be done. It beats keeping cattle for the week to sell them again.

Other disputes that crop up are the usual - I bought such & such an animal at this price & another buyers name is down. Tht's the worst one to deal with as both men are adamant they bought it.

Well - Got on well enough on Saturday - took on board as much of your advice as I could. Bought a BBX heifer in the end. Happy enough!

Started out the day inspecting animals in the yard and picking out what I was interested in. Went into the ring then, stood up high and watched what was happening. Eventually one of my chosen animals came in. Put a few bids on but let her go as things happened so fast, I was afraid of bidding too much. Done this a few times and got my confidence up. Was bidding on a few on the market up as far as my limit when I would stop. After about the 10th attempt, I landed my BBX heifer for €980. Went to the office picked up the pass out docket, got her loaded up and down home very satisfied. It was a huge experience for me and I cant wait to get back at it again. I was amazed at how fast it all happens and how many people watched the bidding - so much for being discreet! Thanks for all your help guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

Well - Got on well enough on Saturday - took on board as much of your advice as I could. Bought a BBX heifer in the end. Happy enough!

Started out the day inspecting animals in the yard and picking out what I was interested in. Went into the ring then, stood up high and watched what was happening. Eventually one of my chosen animals came in. Put a few bids on but let her go as things happened so fast, I was afraid of bidding too much. Done this a few times and got my confidence up. Was bidding on a few on the market up as far as my limit when I would stop. After about the 10th attempt, I landed my BBX heifer for €980. Went to the office picked up the pass out docket, got her loaded up and down home very satisfied. It was a huge experience for me and I cant wait to get back at it again. I was amazed at how fast it all happens and how many people watched the bidding - so much for being discreet! Thanks for all your help guys!

well done what weight breeding or fattening .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

Good man! Now the next thing you need to learn about, is how drive up the price of your animals, the day you are selling:D
    Getting a mate to bid on them, up to a preset limit, just to encourage the jobbers, to keep wagging their fingers:D:D

BeeDI wrote: »
    Now the next thing you need to learn about, is how drive up the price of your animals, the day you are selling:D
    Getting a mate to bid on them, up to a preset limit, just to encourage the jobbers, to keep wagging their fingers:D:D

'Careful now' 'Down with that sort of thing!'

You'd have no luck out of that kind of goin' on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

I'll be going to Ennis next weeks with a few bullocks. If you want to get a bit more practice I would be more than happy to let you bid away :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

and you didnt have to pay a cut to the Monaghan lads :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

now i know a man with blue heifers:rolleyes: for sale.

Advertisement