Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Turning Japanese!

• 04-05-2012 11:48am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17942181
    Up to 90% of school leavers in major Asian cities are suffering from myopia - short-sightedness - a study suggests.
    Researchers say the "extraordinary rise" in the problem is being caused by students working very hard in school and missing out on outdoor light.
    The scientists told the Lancet that up to one in five of these students could experience severe visual impairment and even blindness.

Working very hard at what exactly.:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

onanism

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

As long as they can still make my electronics I'm okay with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Chamone MF

dolanbaker wrote: »

Online role play games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Ranking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Actually thought this was going to be about how Humans will evolve to look Japanese.

Thread, I am disapoint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

When I read the heading, I thought OP was turning himself japanese. I am dissapointed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

I'd say students are going blind from too much ****!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭cml387

When I read the heading, I thought OP was turning himself japanese. I am dissapointed

Cannot lead heading.Solly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Why bother doing anything in life, you just know a Japanese person is going to be a thousand times better than you at it. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Why bother doing anything in life, you just know a Japanese person is going to be a thousand times better than you at it. :(
    But i can open my eyes fully! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

dolanbaker wrote: »

building robots and and excavators

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

I saw an asian add recently from Sony saying "Caucasians, because they're just too damn tall"

they were saying we're too tall to make microchips where as they can get closer to the board so their chips are better, more efficient and better built.

Think I saw this on Crazy People. =- look it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Professor Morgan argues that many children in South East Asia spend long hours studying at school and doing their homework. This in itself puts pressure on the eyes, but exposure to between two and three hours of daylight acts as a counterbalance and helps maintain healthy eyes.

"Daylight affects the focusing of the eyes" ?
    That doesn't sound right.

I would've thought it's the fact that if you spend a lot of time indoors then your eyes will be naturally focusing on near objects most of the time.

Eye physiology link

From the link above you can see that those small muscles in the eye are tense when looking at near objects.

So they probably can't relax enough outdoors to focus on far objects correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

you'd think with all their expertice in robots that they could build robotic eyes for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

"Daylight affects the focusing of the eyes" ?
    That doesn't sound right.

I would've thought it's the fact that if you spend a lot of time indoors then your eyes will be naturally focusing on near objects most of the time.

Eye physiology link

From the link above you can see that those small muscles in the eye are tense when looking at near objects.

So they probably can't relax enough outdoors to focus on far objects correctly.

Or the muscles for focusing on near objects are overworked and degrade...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

BizzyC wrote: »
    Or the muscles for focusing on near objects are overworked and degrade...

In general, when muscles are overused they get damaged and when they're repaired they're over-repaired and made stronger.

That's what happens when you exercise.
    You damage the muscles in your legs/arms and they get bigger when the body repairs them.

The researcher doesn't say whether the myopia is down to problems with the eye focusing, or that the eyeball is physically elongated which is the typical cause of myopia in young people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

In general, when muscles are overused they get damaged and when they're repaired they're over-repaired and made stronger.

That's what happens when you exercise.
    You damage the muscles in your legs/arms and they get bigger when the body repairs them.

Only to an extent. If you do too much you simply cause damage. Wear and tear adds up over the course of years.

Advertisement