Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 repair tip & Warranty

• 04-05-2012 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Just a quick tip on iPhone repair and warrant FYI:

I had an iphone 4 (VF contract) that was purchased in February 2011 but was water damaged last August. This was replaced at my cost with a brand new unit. It was a replacement unit that was discounted (think I paid €220 for it) and not the full retail price. That handset started showing problems in March and was sent back to VF's repair company, Fonfix for repair. They came back to say that the phone is out of warranty since February 2012 and they gave an estimate of €190 to repair the PCB board.

The phone is out of warranty because the 12 month warranty period starts from the date that you get your first phone not when you get any replacements for that particular handset. So in my case, the replacement iPhone was in fact just 7 months old at that stage. If you upgrade to say iPhone 4s or the like or buy another iPhone that is different and you get a new 12 month warranty again, from that point. It is not like other manufacturers where the warranty countdown starts again.

In relation to the repair, I went in last Saturday morning to GSM Solutions on Abbey St with the phone. They called me 3 hours later to say they wanted a bit more time to run tests on it. They called again Monday to say they can repair the phone within 24 hours for €90. My opinion was that they offered a fantastic service and just brilliant to deal with. I'm going in tomorrow to collect it.

Thought this info might be useful to some folks.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Out of interest what was the fault and did either company tell you exactly what they were doing to fix it?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭budfox

The Sandyford crowd said that it was a PCB fault. I wont know the actual repair until I collect the unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

You got shafted with wrong advice. If you paid full price for another iPhone you get a further 12 month warranty. You're better off dealing directly with apple for warranty repairs

OK, good spot. The replacement phone I paid E220 for, not full price. The old phone was swopped out for this new one. I didnt' pay full retail for a brand new out of the wrapper phone. The replacement phone was brand new though. The Warranty on iPhones is 12 months and if you get a replacement during that period, the warranty only lasts for the remainder of the original warranty. You dont get 12 new months so to speak.

I didnt know this and just was highlighting it as an FYI...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

On replacements from apple you get 90 days or up to the date original warranty is up. Whichever is longest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭badabing106

budfox wrote: »

In relation to the repair, I went in last Saturday morning to GSM Solutions on Abbey St with the phone. They called me 3 hours later to say they wanted a bit more time to run tests on it. They called again Monday to say they can repair the phone within 24 hours for €90. My opinion was that they offered a fantastic service and just brilliant to deal with. I'm going in tomorrow to collect it.

Thought this info might be useful to some folks.....

************ are known for ripping off customers and doing dodgy repairs. Do a search on this site for them

Make sure they give you a proper receipt , detailing the work they have done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Why are you praising their service when you haven't even collected the phone from them yet?:confused: It might be grand but it mightened be repaired properly at all or even butchered in the process.

Good news. I collected the phone from them and it was repaired and is back working again.

My praise was that my initial experience was very good in that they communicated efficiently and when promised. And now with the phone in hand I found them great to deal with.

This contrasts with my experience in Sandyford which has been woeful at every turn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I got an extended apple warranty for a replacement phone I believe. Just contact apple for replacements, they have the best customer service and will definitely help you as much as they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

budfox wrote: »
    Good news. I collected the phone from them and it was repaired and is back working again.

My praise was that my initial experience was very good in that they communicated efficiently and when promised. And now with the phone in hand I found them great to deal with.

This contrasts with my experience in Sandyford which has been woeful at every turn.
    Well what did they fix for €90?

• Advertisement
Advertisement