Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MH116 Community and Youth Work (Full Time)- Interview

Options
  • 04-05-2012 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hey, I would like your help.

I have applied to the Community and Youth Work full time degree in NUI Maynooth and I did the entrance test and got through to the interviews, yay me :).

The more and more I read into this course the more I realise I actually really want it, that is why I am here, asking anyone who has previously, or is now studying this degree and went through the interviews also (or if you just have general interview- question- experience).

I need help.

I was wondering if you had any clue what questions I may be asked. I have a group interview and single interview to do and would but sincerely grateful of any help from anyone.

Let me know :)
    Many thanks,
    T x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I done the H dip in community and youth work a few years back and had to go through the process too.

For the individual interview have a knowledge of issues facing young people and communities today. Factors such as cuts to funding and how they are impacting on the work and how they are changing what the work looks like. Also they will ask you why you want to do this work, you will have to be very clear about why and what the work means to you. This was a question everyone on my course was asked in the interview.
    They will look to see if you have a background in either community or youth work and will look to see which you would like to work in when your done. Again be very clear about your reasoning and why you want to do the work.
    Definitely have a knowledge of the sector and different organisations that work in it, such as Foroige, CYC, CDYSB and of CDP's and Rural community organisations.

For the group interview they give a topic that you will be asked to discuss as a group. Make sure you say something during this, this is to see how you interact and if you can work in the group. Everyone on my course talked during their group interview, I remember the few who didnt and I didnt see them on the course.

Dont be afraid of the interview though, if its what you really want to do and you can show this that is all they want to see.

Hope that was of some help and if you have any other questions let me know and I can try answer them! Cheers, Joey

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Moon Indigo

Currently finishing up first year full time in Community and Youth. The single interview is basic enough. The questions are what experience you have, what issues you feel community/youth are facing, what do you feel that tells you about that issue. Why you want to do that course, preperation you have done.

The group has a member of staff in the room and six or so people sit in a circle (other people who are doing the group interview). The next bit is you are given a question/scenario and you have like ten mins to discuss it. In my case is it was 'you are given the task to run a six week pilot with traveller teenagers and you are the youth group tasked with organising it' that was the basic jist.

Just balance getting involved and listening as both are being watched. PM me if you want any more information on the course or anything else. They look for desire and passion for both youth and community and this is important and knowing why you want to do this course. As I said if I can be any help let me know :) Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 auds1

Hi all,

I've been called for the written test in Community and Youth tomorrow in Maynooth. What format does this written test take? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭JoeR91

auds1 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've been called for the written test in Community and Youth tomorrow in Maynooth. What format does this written test take? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Did you get into the course??

I'm going into my second year of the course

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭JoeR91

auds1 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Many thanks.

Did you get into the course??

I'm going into my second year of the course

• Advertisement
Advertisement