Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best option for Internet in camper

Options
  • 04-05-2012 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭

What does everyone use for Internet on the move?

Who's best and what does it cost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

m8 wrote: »

I use my phone to tether the wireless to the laptop, have 1gb of data and haven't gone over that yet. It's a better (and cheaper) option than buying a seperate USB dongle imo. Wireless tether works out of the box for newer android phones, for older phones you may have to root the device to get tethering going (plus an app in the market)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

I had a o2 hotshot Huawei E5832 (15 gig limit €20) that i used to bring with me ... but i now have 3 Huawei E586 (60 gig limit €30) good coverage but slow at times

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

dickwod1 wrote: »
    I had a o2 hotshot Huawei E5832 (15 gig limit €20) that i used to bring with me ... but i now have 3 Huawei E586 (60 gig limit €30) good coverage but slow at times

Is that per month or until your limit is used?

If per month can you just have it for one month?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Is that per month or until your limit is used?

If per month can you just have it for one month?

Thats per calender month with 3 ( http://shop.three.ie/catalogue/products/view/huawei-e586-mifi-black/50970/T010019 ) and a 12 month contract ... i use this at home also for me and the kids on the net

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

stevire wrote: »
    I use my phone to tether the wireless to the laptop, have 1gb of data and haven't gone over that yet. It's a better (and cheaper) option than buying a seperate USB dongle imo. Wireless tether works out of the box for newer android phones, for older phones you may have to root the device to get tethering going (plus an app in the market)

Check you plan if using your phone for tethering. I'm with Vodafone and it's expressly forbidden on my plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

If you can park up outside mc Donalds you can usually get free wifi
    At least you can send and receive mail
    That said ,I just use the iPhone in an O2 package

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

I tether to a cheapie €39 samsung europa from three - €20 pay as you go top up gives you 'all you can eat data' (probably somekind of limit but I never had a problem. You also get €20 call credit, free any network weekend calls, free any network texts, only issue is if you are connected to a non-3g network for too long they stop data which is fair enough as I'm sure the other networks fleece them. Definitely avoid vodafone for tethering they are b@stUrds been fleeced by them before to the order of hundreds of euro when my wife transferred about 55mb over the wrong connection. using their own supplied software. What a load of bull, same phone, same mast, same fibre, same servers yet 1000 times the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Del2005 wrote: »
    Check you plan if using your phone for tethering. I'm with Vodafone and it's expressly forbidden on my plan.

Wasn't aware of that, I'm with Meteor and no problems so far! That's a bit much to forbid it, you're paying enough for connection and data you should be allowed use it as you see fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Vodafone allow tethering since Christmas on billpay as part of your data bundle, or €20 for 5GB over 30-days on prepay.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

Del2005 wrote: »

I have pay-as-you-go (HTC desire os probably possible) with vodafone so not sure how this would work out.

• Advertisement

Tethering 02, 5GB data for €10ish, on a €10ish monthly contract.
    Good coverage.

Advertisement