Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate Developer Salaries 2012 Edition

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

lenovoguy wrote: »
    why would you bother going into software dev when you can go into finance or banking and be earning upwards of 80k before you're 30.

This is a good thing. Much like teachers if you don't like the job you should not be in the job the money should be a secondary motivation/result.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

lenovoguy wrote: »
    It's pretty easy to understand why there is such a shortage of talented software developers considering the woeful education to pay ratio that exists in the industry. I think employers get away with it because money isn't a primary motivation for the developers they do have, but for anyone researching future careers when picking courses on their CAO, the long-term prospects mustn't look good financially ; why would you bother going into software dev when you can go into finance or banking and be earning upwards of 80k before you're 30.

So write software for a bank: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantitative_analyst#Quantitative_developer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

This is a good thing. Much like teachers if you don't like the job you should not be in the job the money should be a secondary motivation/result.

Exactly, it is a fact that money does not equal happiness when it goes to a job.

Anyway, with the way the market is now it is possible to make very good money in the software dev industry, but not really as a programmer.

Nonsense, there has never been a better time to be a developer - if you aren't earning enough money then find a better paying job. Ability to sell yourself is just as important as technical ability. Don't expect to earn good money until you have good experience - just like any profession.

Good job conditions = happiness. Money is only one aspect of this. Work from home / flexible hours would be an example of some non-monetary perks/conditions.

You can not put a value on enjoying the work you do.

• Advertisement

srsly78 wrote: »
    Nonsense, there has never been a better time to be a developer - if you aren't earning enough money then find a better paying job. Ability to sell yourself is just as important as technical ability.

Job conditions = happiness. Money is only one aspect of this. Work from home / flexible hours would be an example of some non-monetary perks/conditions.

There's nothing nonsense about it. Yes, I agree that there has never been a better time to be a developer but that doesn't mean it's equal in terms of pay to other types of jobs with comparable education/experience requirements.

What I was alluding to there was that to make the big money in software development industry, you generally need to progress from programmer to manager or technical architect.

Actually you can, everyone has a price. I can and have put up with a lot of bull****/poisonous environment because my daily rate made it worth it.

You say "generally", but there are of course exceptions. Where I work everyone is a developer, even the bosses. No managerial bull**** in sight. We are all architects I suppose :D Job titles means **** all anyway! I was senior architect in last few jobs, now my job title is just developer again but I get paid more. But yes my situation is probably exceptional.

I ****ing hated my last job where I was actually forbidden to write code and had to manage a team in india -.-

Actually you can, everyone has a price. I can and have put up with a lot of bull****/poisonous environment because my daily rate made it worth it.

Still working there? It doesn't really count if you're dropping in for 3-6 months and always have that light at the end of the tunnel.

That's actually true, I was only able to put up with it coz I was a contractor. Have since moved on to job with better pay and conditions.

It does count btw, coz I got paid for it.

Actually you can, everyone has a price.

You say "generally", but there are of course exceptions

I ****ing hated my last job where I was actually forbidden to write code and had to manage a team in india -.-

Down to each person. As you say there are always exceptions and on your last point there is no amount of money I could be offered to do this unless I wanted to do it or there was some other good reason to do it.

But I am a big believer in the idea behind that RSA video that was posted, it was my opinion before seeing it and it is my opinion after it.

• Advertisement

That's actually true, I was only able to put up with it coz I was a contractor. Have since moved on to job with better pay and conditions.

Glad to hear it - you're lucky :)

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

what are salaries like for graduate software testers?
    Looking at a position and starting salary is 25000 far as I know. Is their good opportunities for testers then with a number of years experience and is the money good?
    Is it possible to go back into software development after being a tester or does it make it more difficult?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Should we start a 2013 edition? I'm currently jobseeking in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭slyph

Related question: is it considered rude to ask about the starting salary on the first-round of interviews for a job ? (specifically graduate jobs)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

slyph wrote: »
    Related question: is it considered rude to ask about the starting salary on the first-round of interviews for a job ? (specifically graduate jobs)

Never be the first one to mention salary, it gives them the advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

slyph wrote: »

I would not consider it rude; I would consider asking about salary early, even pre-interview, to make sure everyone was on the same page.
    If potential employers won't discuss salary at all, or even give you some indication or range, thats a bad signal about the employer.

Even if you ask about it, be prepared to be told that they can't discuss it, or that it needs to go to HR at the end of the process etc. How readily you accept reasons like that, vs. how much you push, is up to you.
    It all depends, use your judgement, try come across as reasonable, but with a reasonably firm idea of your worth with respect to the market rate.
    ChRoMe wrote: »

People say this.

Then other people say that you should actually bring up the salary first, and try and put an expected number out there, to take advantage of the effects of anchoring. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchoring

Distrust any rule that says 'Never do X'.

It'll come down to the impression you've given by the end of the hiring process, the market rate, the company's need for someone with your skills, the budget allocated for the position, the personalities involved, other candidates, etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

I was told the opposite — always be first to mention salary :)

The explanation I got was this: if you're applying for a position & think you're worth €30k, for instance. If you ask for the salary first (but keeping it fairly high-level — "I'm aware that all offers would be dependent on the candidate and their experience, but what salary range are you considering for the position?"):
    1. If they say a higher number (€40–60k), you go away happy;
    2. if they say a lower number (€15–20k) you consider taking it if it's a good position, or negotiating when the time is right, or realising that you're applying well below your level & walking away

Either way you've a good result. On the other hand, if you let them bring it up first — "What's your salary expectations?" and you say €30k:
    1. If they were offering higher, they tell you it sounds reasonable & go away laughing, (or else start to reconsider how appropriate you are for the position if you go too low)
    2. If they were offering lower, they may be put off by your higher figure & go with someone else — if they think you'll only be happy with the role until something else comes along, or that you seem arrogant that you've an inflated sense of your own worth.

Really interested why you think it gives them an advantage if you're first to mention it?

Feathers wrote: »
    I was told the opposite — always be first to mention salary :)

The explanation I got was this: if you're applying for a position & think you're worth €30k, for instance. If you ask for the salary first (but keeping it fairly high-level — "I'm aware that all offers would be dependent on the candidate and their experience, but what salary range are you considering for the position?"):
    1. If they say a higher number (€40–60k), you go away happy;
    2. if they say a lower number (€15–20k) you consider taking it if it's a good position, or negotiating when the time is right, or realising that you're applying well below your level & walking away

Either way you've a good result. On the other hand, if you let them bring it up first — "What's your salary expectations?" and you say €30k:
    1. If they were offering higher, they tell you it sounds reasonable & go away laughing, (or else start to reconsider how appropriate you are for the position if you go too low)
    2. If they were offering lower, they may be put off by your higher figure & go with someone else — if they think you'll only be happy with the role until something else comes along, or that you seem arrogant that you've an inflated sense of your own worth.

Really interested why you think it gives them an advantage if you're first to mention it?

Think of a interview like a game of poker, both sides operating on incomplete information. By asking about salary you are showing your hand, i.e that you are excited/interest in the position. Don't forget an interview is a two way street, they have to impress you as well. If they bring it up first, you know they are considering making an offer and you now have the upper hand in the negotiations.

The caveat I'd put on this, is that I wouldn't apply for a job without at least an advertised salary band.... its a mugs game.

• Administrators Posts: 53,752 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Any decent interviewer should let you know the salary or at least the ballpark during the first interview. If they don't mention it during the interview then it's fine to ask it during one of your questions at the end.

awec wrote: »
    Any decent interviewer should let you know the salary or at least the ballpark during the first interview. If they don't mention it during the interview then it's fine to ask it during one of your questions at the end.

At that stage its a non issue because if they don't talk about a second interview or mention it themselves. It doesn't matter because they are not making an offer.

• Advertisement

Think of a interview like a game of poker, both sides operating on incomplete information. By asking about salary you are showing your hand, i.e that you are excited/interest in the position. Don't forget an interview is a two way street, they have to impress you as well. If they bring it up first, you know they are considering making an offer and you now have the upper hand in the negotiations.

The caveat I'd put on this, is that I wouldn't apply for a job without at least an advertised salary band.... its a mugs game.

But they can already see your hand - you've given them your CV :)

Yeah, if it was an advertised band I'd probably hold off asking further alright. Otherwise, I'd ask about salary as a matter of course, unless I was going through an agent, where I'd leave it to them to sort it out.

Feathers wrote: »
    But they can already see your hand - you've given them your CV :)

Your CV doesn't have any salary related information :confused:

Your CV doesn't have any salary related information :confused:

Of course, but in terms of operating on incomplete information, their information about you is still a lot more complete than yours is about their budgets — if you've 6 years of experience & are applying for a junior role they know you're hard up.

I wouldn't see raising the question of salary a marker that you're more interested than they are though, or vice versa — I get it as a standard interview question normally, unless I've brought it up first myself.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

As this is my first job as a graduate I didn't haggle whatsoever. I accepted the number they offered and the benefits instantly. I really wanted a job so I suppose I could have made a mistake there. I was concerned haggling would make them look on other candidates in a better light, but as they skipped the second round of interviews because I couldn't make it and just gave me the job instead I might have been in a better position than I thought. I knew what I was going to be offered because the position salary was written down in front of him :p

As a graduate, I kinda think it was better to make sure my foot was in the door and haggle over wages in future interviews/reviews when you are in a better position and actually have some experience. I don't think the couple of thousand mattered much compared to what I am getting in experience and enjoying my job, but of course maybe I was foolish and should have tried? I will be in future interviews anyway.

As this is my first job as a graduate I didn't haggle whatsoever. I accepted the number they offered and the benefits instantly. I really wanted a job so I suppose I could have made a mistake there. I was concerned haggling would make them look on other candidates in a better light, but as they skipped the second round of interviews because I couldn't make it and just gave me the job instead I might have been in a better position than I thought. I knew what I was going to be offered because the position salary was written down in front of him :p

As a graduate, I kinda think it was better to make sure my foot was in the door and haggle over wages in future interviews/reviews when you are in a better position and actually have some experience. I don't think the couple of thousand mattered much compared to what I am getting in experience and enjoying my job, but of course maybe I was foolish and should have tried? I will be in future interviews anyway.

No you did the right thing, the task when looking for the first job is just to get hired. Its when you get old and bitter like me that you argue over money :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

As this is my first job as a graduate I didn't haggle whatsoever. I accepted the number they offered and the benefits instantly. I really wanted a job so I suppose I could have made a mistake there. I was concerned haggling would make them look on other candidates in a better light,
    Haggling might make you look bad - you dont want an argument; just asking for a higher salary might make you look better though; maybe not, hard to say.
    but as they skipped the second round of interviews because I couldn't make it and just gave me the job instead I might have been in a better position than I thought. I knew what I was going to be offered because the position salary was written down in front of him :p
    Could be a ploy! Probably not.

The first years salary delta, vs. your career earnings, is negligible.
    Getting a position you can learn in, and build good experience in, is the crucial thing.

Only thing to bear in mind though, is whether the next raise you get will be based on your current salary; or if you change job, whether your expectations will be conditioned on your current salary; or if people ask 'what did you get paid in your last job'? There can be knock on effects.
    Probably not an issue to worry about in your first job, but worth thinking about in future.

If you are getting on well, and doing good work, its worth asking in 6 months time - as you are no longer a fresh grad - to be bumped up to a better salary. Getting a bump at 6 months after starting is quite a common thing, as you've now shown competency, and that you aren't a bad hire.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No you did the right thing, the task when looking for the first job is just to get hired. Its when you get old and bitter like me that you argue over money :)
    Ah all right, got confused as it was the graduate thread, didn't know if it was supposed to apply to me etc
    fergalr wrote: »
    Haggling might make you look bad - you dont want an argument; just asking for a higher salary might make you look better though; maybe not, hard to say.

Could be a ploy! Probably not.

The first years salary delta, vs. your career earnings, is negligible.
    Getting a position you can learn in, and build good experience in, is the crucial thing.

Only thing to bear in mind though, is whether the next raise you get will be based on your current salary; or if you change job, whether your expectations will be conditioned on your current salary; or if people ask 'what did you get paid in your last job'? There can be knock on effects.
    Probably not an issue to worry about in your first job, but worth thinking about in future.

If you are getting on well, and doing good work, its worth asking in 6 months time - as you are no longer a fresh grad - to be bumped up to a better salary. Getting a bump at 6 months after starting is quite a common thing, as you've now shown competency, and that you aren't a bad hire.
    Yeah i'm happy enough not having asked anyway, it's a negligible thing. I don't really know how raises work as they do a yearly review that happens at the start of the year. So i won't be doing one again til next year?! I've only been working 3 months and I had mine already. Was told that I wouldn't be having my 6 months probation review because this review was it. and that because I had already done well and he was very happy it was all sorted now, was quite impressed with my work, I've worked very hard on a project on my own, in a language nobody here knows. I also do a team project that they do know a lot on. I got a few percent increase to wage in this review. So I imagine that wouldn't be reviewed for a year again, but I don't know. All that matters at the moment is that it is good experience, and the people are nice and they are helpful. I enjoy it.

For the next job I would hope that my expectations wouldn't be conditioned and I would seek to see what the actual going rate would be. I imagine people lie about their past wage anyway. As for current job, I don't know, but increases could be based on current salary as I got a % increase this time, that might continue.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

fergalr wrote: »
    or if people ask 'what did you get paid in your last job'?

"Not enough."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Thoughts on a starting salary in a junior software developer role? Graduate with 6-12 months experience.

• Advertisement

Job hopping so quickly from first job is a bit suspect. Graduate salary + few grand. If the experience is part-time work while in college then you should just get normal graduate salary. Pretty much everyone should have some experience from college work placement or summer work anyway.

Advertisement