Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network/internet over power plug advice

• 04-05-2012 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, excuse the rushed post - not a fan of typing on the mobile.

I'm going to be travelling home from London shortly and have been asked to sort out the internet at my parents place.

Unfortunately they're stuck with a rubbish Eircom connection and can't change - but the bigger issue is the constantly poor wireless signal.

I've heard great things about these network / Ethernet over power things and have decided to get them one of the starter packs, but can't quite decide on which make / model to go for. I've found the descriptions on Amazon lacking, and don't answer many of my questions.

I would like to buy one that doubles as both a wired Ethernet network extender and a wireless network extender. Does this exist?

Speed is important, so the faster the better. I'd be looking to set up media streaming and networking for various devices, wirelessly from PC / Mac etc to Xbox and other receivers, and wired through Ethernet from the extender to devices such as WD Live Hub.

Does anyone have any experience, advice or opinions on this? If you happen to know of something which fits the brief I would love to hear from you.

I've been looking at www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B00472MMC6/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1 which appears to have the wireless box ticked, but I'm not sure if it has a wired option, and if the speeds would be up to scratch for streaming.

Many thanks in advance!

V

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

vard wrote: »
    Hi guys, excuse the rushed post - not a fan of typing on the mobile.

I'm going to be travelling home from London shortly and have been asked to sort out the internet at my parents place.

Unfortunately they're stuck with a rubbish Eircom connection and can't change - but the bigger issue is the constantly poor wireless signal.

I've heard great things about these network / Ethernet over power things and have decided to get them one of the starter packs, but can't quite decide on which make / model to go for. I've found the descriptions on Amazon lacking, and don't answer many of my questions.

I would like to buy one that doubles as both a wired Ethernet network extender and a wireless network extender. Does this exist?

Speed is important, so the faster the better. I'd be looking to set up media streaming and networking for various devices, wirelessly from PC / Mac etc to Xbox and other receivers, and wired through Ethernet from the extender to devices such as WD Live Hub.

Does anyone have any experience, advice or opinions on this? If you happen to know of something which fits the brief I would love to hear from you.

I've been looking at www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B00472MMC6/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1 which appears to have the wireless box ticked, but I'm not sure if it has a wired option, and if the speeds would be up to scratch for streaming.

Many thanks in advance!

V

Hi also on phone so sorry for short answer!

The Devolo device is the one to get.

I got mine from elara.ie & it's fantastic.

Wired (3 ports) & brilliant range wireless.

Have it one year & love it.

Will post link when I get home!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

Brilliant!

I've placed an order through Amazon - looks exactly like what I need.

I'll update the thread once it arrives. Reading consistently great reviews, so I hope to join the club.

Cheers

Devolo dLAN 200 AV Wireless N Wireless router - 3-port switch (integrated) - EN, Fast EN, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n, HomePlug AV (HPAV)

Game consoles, Internet TV sets, Blu-ray players, laptops and smartphones -more and more devices can be connected to the Internet. Whether using WLAN or a classic network cable - the dLAN 200 AV Wireless N is the solution. Using the compact devolo adapter, you can easily set up individual WLAN zones in the home and also connect up to three cable-based devices in the room to the Internet using just one dLAN adapter. Ideal for the living room and home office!

This is the one to get!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Devolo-1409-dLAN-Wireless-N-Starter/dp/B00472MMC6/ref=pd_cp_ce_1

http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=MMEN150258

Hi OP, any update on this?

Just wondering if you got it & are happy with it! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

keredern wrote: »
    Devolo dLAN 200 AV Wireless N Wireless router - 3-port switch (integrated) - EN, Fast EN, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n, HomePlug AV (HPAV)

Game consoles, Internet TV sets, Blu-ray players, laptops and smartphones -more and more devices can be connected to the Internet. Whether using WLAN or a classic network cable - the dLAN 200 AV Wireless N is the solution. Using the compact devolo adapter, you can easily set up individual WLAN zones in the home and also connect up to three cable-based devices in the room to the Internet using just one dLAN adapter. Ideal for the living room and home office!

This is the one to get!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Devolo-1409-dLAN-Wireless-N-Starter/dp/B00472MMC6/ref=pd_cp_ce_1

http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=MMEN150258
    Friends of mine built an extension recently, with lots and lots of insulation, and can't pick up the signal from their wireless router (UPC) in this extension. Would this be the solution to that problem?

• Advertisement

vienne86 wrote: »
    Friends of mine built an extension recently, with lots and lots of insulation, and can't pick up the signal from their wireless router (UPC) in this extension. Would this be the solution to that problem?

Absolutely, as long as the electrics are all on the one circuit!:)

It's an amazing piece of kit!!

Can't recommend it highly enough!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

keredern wrote: »
    Absolutely, as long as the electrics are all on the one circuit!:)

It's an amazing piece of kit!!

Can't recommend it highly enough!;)

Good price on Amazon right now too - thanks.

Advertisement