Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stone in my food....

Options
  • 04-05-2012 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, just looking for a bit of advice here. I was eating my lunch this afternoon and found a stone in it. It came from a tin of Tesco own value chopped tomatoes I bought last weekend, it's small enough but it's definitely a stone and if I had bitten it I would have lost half a tooth! I have no idea what to do, I still have the tin the tomatoes came in, and the remainder of them (couldn't bring myself to finish it after that!), as well as the stone. Would anyone here know what I should do, who I should contact or if I should bring it back to the shop or what I should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

damselnat wrote: »
    Hi guys, just looking for a bit of advice here. I was eating my lunch this afternoon and found a stone in it. It came from a tin of Tesco own value chopped tomatoes I bought last weekend, it's small enough but it's definitely a stone and if I had bitten it I would have lost half a tooth! I have no idea what to do, I still have the tin the tomatoes came in, and the remainder of them (couldn't bring myself to finish it after that!), as well as the stone. Would anyone here know what I should do, who I should contact or if I should bring it back to the shop or what I should I do?

If it's a stone you should most definitely return it, not only to receive a refund, but also to notify the store / factory of a potential fault or defect on the line.

It's worth double making sure that it's not a seed or something which might have originated in your kitchen before doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

damselnat wrote: »

What should you do???

1. Throw it away and forget about it, or
    2. Drive back to Tescos and get your 99 cent back.

Not too hard to figure that out.

If you're looking for a bumper compo claim, by your own admission you have no damages.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

In the past we would throw it to one side and continue eating, taking a bit of care.

Now everyone is looking for something.

Forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Bit harsh.

I'd bring it back and tell them. You won't get anything much but I'd tell them anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭ChocolateChip

Pkiernan wrote: »
    What should you do???

1. Throw it away and forget about it, or
    2. Drive back to Tescos and get your 99 cent back.

Not too hard to figure that out.

If you're looking for a bumper compo claim, by your own admission you have no damages.

You know, you could have said that in a nicer way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,592 ✭✭✭✭looksee

On occasion I have phoned them and said - look just fyi, I am not looking for anything, I found .....whatever.... in a jar/packet etc of your food. Then they either sort it or risk getting sued by someone else.

One time it was a single pot of yoghurt (one of 4) that had gone mouldy, presumably because the lid was not sealed properly. Not a major issue in my opinion, maybe machine needed attention, I wasn't going to be poisoned as it was obvious what the problem was. Not worth going back to store. Let them sort it, bit of karma in my direction (hopefully :D)

If it was something that was obviously negligence, or had cost me a significant amount of money then I would go back, but sometimes its better to just let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I would very much doubt they would investigate or panic too much over a single reported incident, as it could just be some chancer out looking for a freebie, making up a story.

If they were to get a handful of reports of say, mouldy youghurt or stones in food, then I think they might take it further.

In this case, best to just move on. If someone else finds a stone, then you'll never know sure.

Two family members have worked in the food industry - one in QC - and many firms would take even one report seriously. They have a pretty good idea what is a likely issue and what is not. That is why I said that I might phone the firm to inform them, without looking for compensation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

I am not looking for any sort of compensation, as I said I have no damage and I certainly wouldn't expect any. My concern is that it isn't the only one and somebody *would* have an injury or something. I am not so pathetic and petty as to think I could get something out of it, some people actually just have concern for others

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Notify the shop - you might prevent someone else breaking a tooth. Also, they will likely want the can, to get the batch number etc.

Damselnat, I was making the observation about compensation mostly at Niman's 'freebie' comment. I think we are all going round in circles a bit, saying much the same thing.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I got a bit of broken glass in a spring roll from a chinese once. Went back and told them and they couldn't have given less of a fúck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jk1254

i was eating my dinner and bit down on something hard i spit it out and came to find it was a tiny stone. i chipped my back tooth.. what sould i do? it was a diet meal that i purchased on line from... well i dont want to name the company but you get the pic...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭rameire

Make your own foods. It's healthier and cheaper.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

rameire wrote: »
    Make your own foods. It's healthier and cheaper.

agree.

Also - stop giving Tesco money. They've taken so many nicer smaller companies out of business. Buy Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭SteM

NIMAN wrote: »
    In the past we would throw it to one side and continue eating, taking a bit of care.

Now everyone is looking for something.

Forget about it.

In the past if we had had nothing good to say we'd pass over a thread.

Now everyone if looking to make a pointless remark.

He never suggested that he was 'looking for something', there was no need to be rude to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

rameire & dancingqueen - You shouldn't need to be told to stay on topic. Constructive and helpful please.

dudara

Advertisement