Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halogen Lights and Fiberglass

Options
  • 04-05-2012 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I want to reinsulate my attic. I have a number of recessed halogen lights in the celing. Can I put fiberglass directly over the light fittings. If not what are my options?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

reaswalsh wrote: »
    I want to reinsulate my attic. I have a number of recessed halogen lights in the celing. Can I put fiberglass directly over the light fittings. If not what are my options?
    No. This may become a fire hazzard.

There are quite a few options.
    You could box them in to ensure that they do not overhaet and then insulate over the box. Obviously you would have to consider the size and material of the box to ensure that the lamps do not overheat. The aim is to ensure that the lamp has sufficient space to breath.

Alternitively you could install a different type of light that does not run hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 pipsdad

2011 wrote: »
    No. This may become a fire hazzard.

There are quite a few options.
    You could box them in to ensure that they do not overhaet and then insulate over the box. Obviously you would have to consider the size and material of the box to ensure that the lamps do not overheat. The aim is to ensure that the lamp has sufficient space to breath.

Alternitively you could install a different type of light that does not run hot.

agree: LED replacement bulbs are a good option, they don't run hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ed electrical

Another option --- is piping sat around the fitting that stands proud of the dept of you insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

pipsdad wrote: »
    agree: LED replacement bulbs are a good option, they don't run hot.

i dont agree with this as led lamp can easily be change to a halogen again by someone else not knowing of insulation above.there are fire rated enclosures for down lights can be bought in most wholesalers its the best safest option imo.

Advertisement