Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FTP and gearing

• 04-05-2012 2:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭

More out of curiosity, what kind of gearing do people use vs. what their threshold wattage is?

I've found myself going towards lower gearing as at self-selected cadence (> 90 rpm) for me I need to push more watts than I have in anything more than 50T on the front and 18/19 at the back which left me with a lot of useless gears unless going downhill or with a tailwind.

Does anyone else base their gearing selection around this or PF/PV type stuff, or does everyone just HTFU and go with 53/39?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

d4r3n wrote: »

or does everyone just HTFU and go with 53/39?

This...

My last FTP test was done at around 80-82 cadence.
    Too low and I've consciously worked on spinning and higher cadence since then.
    As a result I'm now comfortable and pushing out higher cadences for higher watts.

My point is I used to ride with a lower than optimal cadence (in my opinion).
    So I worked on this the last few months and have noticed benefits.

I guess I could have looked at gearing, but isn't that sidestepping the issue?

Surely the only time gearing comes in is for hilly routes, or else if passed on flat/descents despite pushing hardest gear for best cadence and having more to go but not anymore gears...
    Even then if you could push a higher cadence you'd be in a better position.

So, HTFU and rpm that bad boy I guess..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Fazz wrote: »
    This...

My last FTP test was done at around 80-82 cadence.
    Too low and I've consciously worked on spinning and higher cadence since then.
    As a result I'm now comfortable and pushing out higher cadences for higher watts.

What was it too low?

tunney wrote: »
    What was it too low?

In my opinion I needed to be more comfortable at higher cadences to have a broader range and from a few sessions I had liked the difference 90+ rpm gave me and felt like.

Now some 3 months later I am more comfortable at these rpm's and it feels better to me. Could be added benefit of improved fitness/performance but either way my comfortable cadence is up and better as a result.
    Better in my opinion in terms of comfort, range, flexibility and performance.
    I've found increased cadence range beneficial basically.

Not easily explained but it's something that I believe has worked for me so I'm happy. I'm sure it's a personal thing though like many others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I know i used to use 50/34 gearing and found i was running out of gears so switched to a 53/39 which i find suits me perfect. For me i can push put more watts in the high 70s and my long bikes range from anything from 77 to 85. Its strange as the previous year i would have always been around the 90+ range but i am stronger on the bike this year.

Like you fazz its a personal thing and i find i am more powerful over a lower cadence pushing a bigger gear. My session last night which contained 2x20min @ 100% ftp came in at 76 and 77 to give an idea. I dont think there is an optimal cadence one should aspire to, whatever gives you best results and feeling coming off the bike is what's optimal for the individual!!

I know i used to use 50/34 gearing and found i was running out of gears so switched to a 53/39 which i find suits me perfect. For me i can push put more watts in the high 70s and my long bikes range from anything from 77 to 85. Its strange as the previous year i would have always been around the 90+ range but i am stronger on the bike this year.

Like you fazz its a personal thing and i find i am more powerful over a lower cadence pushing a bigger gear. My session last night which contained 2x20min @ 100% ftp came in at 76 and 77 to give an idea. I dont think there is an optimal cadence one should aspire to, whatever gives you best results and feeling coming off the bike is what's optimal for the individual!!

I know for me optimal power generation cadence is also high 70s low 80s - however the caveat there is when trained.

Brett Sutton would disagree with "I dont think there is an optimal cadence one should aspire to"

• Advertisement

I've read a few articles and possibly the Brett Sutton one also.
    I didn't get much conclusion out of it other than individual thing.

There was that debate on higher rpm's being more beneficial to running off but think I recall a study that couldn't agree with that either :)

I'd say it's individual, and also a matter of control.
    It takes time to be able to control watts at higher rpm's, well it has and still does for me anyway. Less so now though.

I know for me optimal power generation cadence is also high 70s low 80s - however the caveat there is when trained.

Brett Sutton would disagree with "I dont think there is an optimal cadence one should aspire to"

Same here, link to Bret Sutton article? I think it's stupid for people to say this is the range of cadence people should hold. So many different factors to be considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

The big objection I have with some of the research I have seen is that they compare (a) high cadence with (b) low cadence and (c) self selected cadence. Then surprise surprise the self selected cadence is superior. No sh*t Sherlock, I've been cycling at this cadence for 10 years and you expect me to adapt to a significantly higher or lower one overnight?

Nwm2 wrote: »
    The big objection I have with some of the research I have seen is that they compare (a) high cadence with (b) low cadence and (c) self selected cadence. Then surprise surprise the self selected cadence is superior. No sh*t Sherlock, I've been cycling at this cadence for 10 years and you expect me to adapt to a significantly higher or lower one overnight?

Exactly - however adapting over time to a certain range is optimal for triathlon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

Exactly - however adapting over time to a certain range is optimal for triathlon

With that range (optimal for triathlon) being? 70-80? 80-90?

46x13 @ 90 rpm = 40.2 kph
    50x12 @ 77 rpm = 40.5 kph
    53x12 @ 72 rpm = 40.2 kph

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

to the op knowbody can tell you whats right based on what you write.

peter kern wrote: »
    to the op knowbody can tell you whats right based on what you write.

I'm not asking what's right or wrong, I doubt I'm going to consciously change my cadence because of what I see on the internet. I find what I do works for me.

I was more curious about what other people's gearing, cadence and threshold power is to compare to others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭dquirke1

I know I spin a high cadence when I'm putting in a big effort, >110rpm for 10 mins or so and around 95-100 for up to an hour.
    I find a 53-39 with 11-25 on the back is grand on most courses your likely to encounter.

If I'm just taking it easy or have a hilly route planned, then its a compact all the way.

Guess a lot of it depends on fitness as well. Some people have the power to spin a 39-23 up the hills at a reasonable cadence while others(me) just dont.:(

It'd be nice to see links to the studies mentioned, otherwise it's just marketing hype.

I do find a cadence in that range suits me, but everyone's different.

Yeah, stopped reading as soon as I saw the site name. Not known for unbiased honest debate are they?

.Its not more or less biased than anything
    you read out there.
    its a bit unfortunate they dont have the source of the table in the article.
    but hey, the german education secretary cheated in her thesis....

Article looks familar and looks rehashed from somewhere previously, possibly TEM.

Sorry whats TEM.
    ta

Sorry whats TEM.
    ta

Assuming Triathlon Europe Magazine. Good Mag, great race coverage and pro interviews.

• Advertisement

Sorry whats TEM.
    ta
    Assuming Triathlon Europe Magazine. Good Mag, great race coverage and pro interviews.

Yep good mag and it sometimes has some good articles in it. Pretty certain the above article is a rehash of something they had a while back.

so how can it be a good magazine if thats a rehash of an article of their mag ;-)
    or did the guys that used the article make it so much worse (if you are right with your assumption) ???

Advertisement