Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to clonmel

Options
  • 04-05-2012 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone could send a bit of their knowledge my way. heading to clonmel for work in a few weeks. I'll be looking for a place to rent just wondering where to start. Daft is not the most informative.
    Can anyone tell me where's a good place to start looking sharing or renting a place by myself not fully decided yet.

I'll be working in the town so what areas are handy for getting in and out walking if possible.

Also if anyone has information on clubs etc. Is hillview the main/only badmintion club. Whats it like. Is there masters swimming in clonmel there seems to be in Thurles but would prefer not to have to drive there twice a week if there was somewhere closer.

In general looking for information on what there is to do, places to work on getting fit. Avoiding the gym route as these seem expensive enough not sure i'd get my use out of them.

Is there just the one pool?? some places say three?

What's it like for a night out? like most small/medium towns?

Has anyone moved here recently how do you find it?

Sorry for all the questions but any info would be great nothing like a little local knowledge.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭cml387

Both The Minella Hotel and the Clonmel Park have pools where you can join for a fee.

Like most largish towns, a lot of apartments have been built in the last few years.

I guess you will be working in Boston/Abbot.
    Cycling up the hill in the morning will get you as fit as a flea.

Anybody got any other advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 waseqr

thanks for the reply. I'll actually be working just outside the town , still maybe I could get a house out there and freewheel down the hill if i'm running late :D

is it worth picking up a copy of the nationalist, do many advertise accommodation in it?

looked at the clonmel park it looks ok but expensive. does anyone know if they have a student rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

The local swimming pool does a weekly + monthly membership. You can get gym + pool or either on their own as far as I know. There are plenty of clubs(hillview is the only badminton club alright) about town so you should find whatever you want. As for nights out I am assuming you are not a teenager (masters swimming refrence), the best night out for the slightly older crowd(25+) is Friday...pubs try Phil Carrolls, Bakers, Eldons, Mulcahys, Gleesons...one of thing should suit as they are all slightly different. Late night bars/clubs its O Keeffes Thurs-Sun. The nationalist is your best bet for accommodation alright.

cheers, I am unfortunately not a teenager anymore. i'll check out a few of the spots that you mentioned. Also have a look at the pool. I'll have to see if i can pick up a copy of the nationalist.

what is the local swimming pool like? their online timetable says that they only open after 8 is that right?

I havnt been in the pool in a few years but it was a great pool when I wa slast in there so I am assuming it still is. It used to be open pretty much all day so I am assuming that it still is...maybe the after 8pm bit is for swimming in lanes (thats a guess, I really dont know) because it used to be a free for all in the old days, but it was a decent size so it never really mattered to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭hamco

Have you looked on adverts.ie for a rental property? You could also check out Sinclair property who handle quite a lot of rented properties in and near Clonmel.
    The nationalist and the South Tipp Today are the local papers here and both have a property section.
    Good luck with the new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

The public pool has a lot of classes and is booked out sometimes by groups so that's probably why it's showing up as not open until after 8pm. It didn't suit me personally so I joined the gym in Minella which I love but at €480 a year it's certainly something to think twice about.

Daft is probably best for accomodation as most adverts in the Nationalist don't give the price or location. Maybe if you give a general idea of the area you'll be working in (what side of the town etc?) people can recommend estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

hamco wrote: »
    Have you looked on adverts.ie for a rental property? You could also check out Sinclair property who handle quite a lot of rented properties in and near Clonmel.
    The nationalist and the South Tipp Today are the local papers here and both have a property section.
    Good luck with the new job.
    Have never met a renter who has had a good experience with this crowd.
    I would stick with the papers and Daft to be honest.

Hi thanks for all the reply's. Meathlass I'll be working just off Parnell street (towards the old Waterford road) but I have a car so outside town doesn't bother me too much. Thought it might be nice to live in town. would like to stay away from the river (although I could manage it).
    I'll be taking a spin down that way soon so I'll keep an eye on Daft and the other websites mentioned above.
    I'll also check out the pools/gyms etc.
    while i'm on has anyone ever done any courses in the institute? Thinking of doing one of the language courses that they advertise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

waseqr wrote: »
    Hi thanks for all the reply's. Meathlass I'll be working just off Parnell street (towards the old Waterford road) but I have a car so outside town doesn't bother me too much. Thought it might be nice to live in town. would like to stay away from the river (although I could manage it).

If you come out the Davis Road a little (old Waterford Road) just opposite the Dunnes is a complex of apartments and maybe houses - not sure what it's called or what it's like to live in but regularly see them advertised on Daft.

Further out that road and between it and the bypass is the area around the graveyard which has lots of nice, mature estates - Beechwood Drive and Close, Glencarra, Springfields.

• Advertisement

Meathlass wrote: »
    If you come out the Davis Road a little (old Waterford Road) just opposite the Dunnes is a complex of apartments and maybe houses - not sure what it's called or what it's like to live in but regularly see them advertised on Daft.

Further out that road and between it and the bypass is the area around the graveyard which has lots of nice, mature estates - Beechwood Drive and Close, Glencarra, Springfields.

The apartments you mentioned are called Slievenamon Mews.
    Glencarra isnt out the waterford Road its up the Fethard Road in Crann Ard.
    Tivoli is another estate out the waterford Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Queen of Pots

You'll be working fairly close to me, waseqr. I'm only a 'blow-in' here myself but I love the town.

I second The Nationalist for searching for rentals. It mightn't give prices, but it gives a good list of rentals. If dealing with an auctioneer try Pat Quirke - very approachable and very helpful. I've dealt with Sinclaire's and had no problems, btw., in fact I've dealt with most of them and there's only one I'd honestly stay well clear of, especially with regard to rentals.

Can't add anything to the list of places to go out - all the good places are there. I like Phil Carrolls and The Posthouse, myself. O'Keefe's is the place most people end up in at the end of the night. My own opinion is you need 'a few drinks in ye before ye go there.'

If you're looking to get fit by walking, then there are lots of local walks - out to Marlfield Church, St. Patrick's Well, out the Dungarvan Road to Carey's Castle, the Holy Year Cross - the list is endless. Clonmel is fantastic for hill walks.

The Clonmel Park has a student rate for their pool. The Minella doesn't. There's also the public pool and there's Knocklofty pool, although this is about a mile or two outside of Clonmel. As far as I know there's a men's fitness gym on the bypass, but someone else might clarify this. I know there's a Figure 8 and a Curves in the town.

With regard to the Institute, it's a great college - I've been studying there for the last three years and am considering a fourth. Go and have a look around some day - there's a photography exhibition there at the moment, so worth a look.

Best of luck with the move - hope it all goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭hamco

Meathlass wrote: »

There is a house on daft right across the road from dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

As far as I know there's a men's fitness gym on the bypass, but someone else might clarify this. I know there's a Figure 8 and a Curves in the town.

The Forge gym is up beside Abbott. It's a kettlebell/crossfit gym. Not men only and really good. Lovely instructors and they really work you. Highly recommend!

cheers guys going to head down next week and have a look around. good to see so many positive replies.

Advertisement