Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BLOAT

• 04-05-2012 3:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone any effective remedy for this?

Have a heifer that got it this time last week. Vet gave her injections and I kept her in hay in the shed. She released the gas and went back to normal...

But a few day back on grass and she's swelled up on left side again :mad:

From looking on net, it seems that you can get salt licks with polaxolene to avoid the foaming that is causing the problem

Any experiences of it and what cured it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭munkus

Is there alot of clover in the field?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

It's old pasture. There would be a bit of clover, but nothing excessive. I have her in the shed again on hay, but it's not a long term solution.

And it's a double edged sword, because when I let her out again she'I graze like mad and I'm back to square one! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Pharaoh1

Some cattle seem to be suceptible to it but they are usually ok once they get accustomed to good grass.
    I've used Bloatenz in the drinking troughs before and it seemed to work ok. Dosed with liquid paraffin for bad cases.
    I had a bullock last week also slightly bloated I checked him as often as I could and got him up and moved him around and he's been ok since.
    Vet advised that they are usually not too bad unless they are huge or immobile or labouring/panting but its always a worry.

Has put me off introducing any more clover until I can afford to get a proper dispensing system for the troughs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Had a nice calf die of bloat, housed and he bloated overnight and was dead when I got to him.

If an adult animal constantly gets it then maybe the vet should puncture a hole to allow the gas out.

Thanks Pharaoh1. Bloatenz ... did you get this off the vet or where?

• Advertisement

Min wrote: »

maybe the vet should puncture a hole to allow the gas out.

A trocar could introduce an infection. Seemingly with forthy bloat tubing to remove the air isn't effective, you are looking at something to reduced the foaming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I've only seen this twice.
    Once was bad as it repeated as you describe. We fed hay until it had gone down, then cut some grass and brought it into the animal in the shed, building up over a week I think. Was long time ago, think the grass was cut with a scythe, shows how long ago that was.

Yes this is only our second case of it. The introducing the grass slowly in the shed along with hay sounds like a good idea ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

it might not be bloat, could be an infection that entered the navel at birth and causes the bloat had a bull last year that keep bloating up, used bloatguard etc, kept him in, it would go down but swell up again not long after we would let him out .. not clovery pastures, sent him to factory, vet was with him a few times... put him on calf crunch as it was easier on his stomach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭ceannfort

Natural rock salt is best preventative for this.

• Advertisement

Really? In the water? :confused:

No, big pieces left out for free access or on top of the silo. Cattle lick it as required and it regulates the ph in the stomach

I don't think bloat has anything to do with PH. Are you thinking of acidosis?

Muckit wrote: »
    I don't think bloat has anything to do with PH. Are you thinking of acidosis?
    I may stand corrected on this but are frothy bloated and acidios symptoms of an upset digestive system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

ceannfort wrote: »
    I may stand corrected on this but are frothy bloated and acidios symptoms of an upset digestive system.

Are you just guessing things, or am I being very unfair to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

got a calf here with bloat too... cant remember if she got a few injections as a calf or not:confused:

Have to talk to vet about it yet but am not too hopeful atm.

Noticed it nearly 2wks ago now but not off food and is passing everything ok.
    is moving around fine but not as lively and she should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ddogsbollix

Yes... Bloat and acidosis are related and both are because of a low pH in the rumen. mineral oils can help reduce it. My next question is, obviously its froathy bloat because of the way you were explaining it so is the animal on a high cereal diet??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Pharaoh1

Muckit wrote: »
    Thanks Pharaoh1. Bloatenz ... did you get this off the vet or where?

Sorry for delay.
    I got Bloatenz from local co-op. It comes in 5 litre cans.

Yes... Bloat and acidosis are related and both are because of a low pH in the rumen. mineral oils can help reduce it. My next question is, obviously its froathy bloat because of the way you were explaining it so is the animal on a high cereal diet??

Heifer was out at grass and receiving no meal. She was at grass over 4weeks before incident. It appears from what I've read, that it can be hereditary. Why else would one animal swell and another not when on the same diet? Her digestive system seems to be more sensitive to small changes in diet. It seems to coincide with the growth period of clover.

Only thing in common between the two incidents I have had (this one and a case 3 years ago), is that they were both bought in animals. Never had it in animal reared on farm.

RE mineral oils. I came across this alright. Linseed oil appears to be good to bring down swelling, but has to be given in a bigger dose than say bloatenz to be effective.

Pharaoh1 wrote: »
    Sorry for delay.
    I got Bloatenz from local co-op. It comes in 5 litre cans.

Thanks Pharoaoh1. Have a lad ordering it in for me. What did you pay for it? Was it around the €50 mark?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ddogsbollix

ya she must have it in her genes. its a pain in the ass. hope she pulls through! but i have seen that many animals will exhibit bloat and sometimes if ya just leave them alone it can repair itself if it isnt to bad. the rumen just needs time to a just

Pain in the ass is right! Just when you think you have work of foddering and herd testing out of the way and that they're able to fend for themselves!

She's back on a bare paddock and under close observation... fingers and toes crossed :rolleyes:

ya she must have it in her genes. its a pain in the ass. hope she pulls through! but i have seen that many animals will exhibit bloat and sometimes if ya just leave them alone it can repair itself if it isnt to bad. the rumen just needs time to a just

As pharaoh1 already stated, it's not overly serious unless they are badly swelled and it's affecting their breathing. They'I be whizzing and eventually panting with tongue out.

This is emergency time. It can take them quick if undetected and monitored closely, so it's a worry until they are back to normal. They can die in under 3hours if the gas is not released - heart and lungs give in. :o

Heifer back to herself.... but just in case ;)
    bloatenz.jpg

Advertisement