Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JavaME & Eclipse IDE

Options
  • 04-05-2012 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭

I am having problems setting up an IDE for Nokia Symbian developement and right 'm to tear my hair ( whats left of it) out!

I am a bit new to java. Right now I am studying for SCJP. I have eclipse installed and was interested in developing some apps for Symbian (Nokia) OS. So I downloaded the JavaME JDK. But I can find no way to get Eclipse to find it. In fact I can't even find a options in Eclipse to do so.
    I have downloaded Netbeans , which works ok, but Nokia recommend using their SDK in Eclipse so I am keen to get it working. I now noticed Eclipse Pulsar which seems to be directed at mobile development so I am now wondering if it is the IDE I should be using.

Needless to say, I don't want to download more IDE's than I need, if for no other reason than that they will probably interfere with each other.

I would really appreciate any help to set up a working IDE, or any make, for Symbian.
    thanks
    ger

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Normally with eclipse plugins you simply put them (the jar) in the plugins directory.
    ps. though I usually install the plugins from eclipse to ensure they are kept up to date. In Help->Install new software...
    You usually have a url where plugin is, which you add. When you do you should see new options available to install here.

rock22 wrote: »
    I am having problems setting up an IDE for Nokia Symbian developement and right 'm to tear my hair ( whats left of it) out!

I am a bit new to java. Right now I am studying for SCJP. I have eclipse installed and was interested in developing some apps for Symbian (Nokia) OS. So I downloaded the JavaME JDK. But I can find no way to get Eclipse to find it. In fact I can't even find a options in Eclipse to do so.
    I have downloaded Netbeans , which works ok, but Nokia recommend using their SDK in Eclipse so I am keen to get it working. I now noticed Eclipse Pulsar which seems to be directed at mobile development so I am now wondering if it is the IDE I should be using.

Needless to say, I don't want to download more IDE's than I need, if for no other reason than that they will probably interfere with each other.

I would really appreciate any help to set up a working IDE, or any make, for Symbian.
    thanks
    ger
    Go for Android. Isn't too hard, and the SDK works very well with eclipse.

Also, videos on http://thenewboston.com are great videos to start you off ;)

Advertisement