Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hellboy 3/reboot

• 04-05-2012 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭

Hellboy was out in 2004, the sequel in 2008, is anyone else thinking it's a pity we don't have a third film for 2012? Yeah, I know the director's busy with Pacific Rim, but damn I want another Hellboy film :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭amacca

Links234 wrote: »
    Hellboy was out in 2004, the sequel in 2008, is anyone else thinking it's a pity we don't have a third film for 2012? Yeah, I know the director's busy with Pacific Rim, but damn I want another Hellboy film :o

not me anyway........I liked the first one and grew tired after that

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Me too, guy, me too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Yeh, same as OP. I thoroughly enjoy those films. Admittedly the first is better but still, I'd like to see another one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Guillermo Del Toro & Ron Perlman have both supposedly made noises about how they'd love to do a new Hellboy film, and seem fairly receptive to the idea, so I'm guessing it's the studio or license holders who are against it.

I loved both movies, the first more than the second - but then the sequel was a bit wobbly in places. Both however had a great sense of humour & really likable characters. Not to mention some great imagination & monster design, the kind of which you get with DelToro; the Troll Market in Hellboy 2 was great to look at if nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Hellboy 2 > Hellboy 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Hellboy 2 > Hellboy 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Yeah Ron perlman is 62! unless he kills himself in the gym he is not gonna look the part, but no way anyone else can play Hellboy now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

If it hasn't been mentioned Hellboy 2 > Hellboy 1.

Caught the end of the sequel a few weeks ago, it's just visually amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Yeah Ron perlman is 62! unless he kills himself in the gym he is not gonna look the part, but no way anyone else can play Hellboy now.
    His physique was provided by prosthetics in the other movies, not gym work.

Would love a third movie too by the way. Great fun was had from the first two!

I had the privilege to speak to Del Toro awhile back and he said that Hellboy 3 was a long time off and that he feared that he may never to make it. Be a shame if we never had the opportunity to see how it turned out as it was clear from Hellboy 2 that Del Toro had at least one more film in mind when writing/making part two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

First one is so much better.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,333 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm in the the Hellboy 2 is superior camp myself, it feels more like a Del Toro movie to me. and along with avengers and TDK its one of the best comic book movies ever imho. Love both of them though.

Really hope they get to finish off the trilogy. I seem to recall reading something about Mike Mignola being worried (tongue in cheek possibly) about a third movie as it would finish the full character arch before he would have a chance to in the books, basically
    Hellboy would end up dying somehow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

The first is way better. The second was painful in places and clunky in others although that didn't stop me enjoying it. I'd like a 3rd alright but it would want to be strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Prince Nuada.

Do I need to say anything else to make my case for Hellboy 2 > Hellboy 1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Prince Nuada.

Do I need to say anything else to make my case for Hellboy 2 > Hellboy 1?

I'm waiting for you to say something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

I wish Hellboy had never been made TBH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I wish Hellboy had never been made TBH

What why? I enjoyed Hellboy 1 and 2 equally thought both had good plots with likeable characters and the visuals were just stunning in both, bit of a crazy statement really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Both Hellboys bored me senseless.

But speaking of Del Toro, it seems Prometheus may have put the final nail in the coffin of At the Mountains of Madness. Del Toro reckons they are so similar that his project will never get made now. I feel sorry for the guy, especially since the budget and R rating is what basically killed ATMOM in the end, and here's Scott making a 200 million R rated film inspired by the same source material. He's had terrible luck with film projects since Pan's.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I liked the two Hellboys as the slightly frivolous, eccentric curious they are. I'd certainly but them above most other superhero movies, as they have an awful lot of character and a pleasantly tongue-in-cheek delivery. Did think the second one was a bit more uncertain of its tone, or perhaps the freshness had worn off a bit.

Although I'll admit I'm not as fond of Del Toro as a director as others are. Not to say I haven't really liked many of his films (especially The Devil's Backbone) but there's always something... lacking for me. I actually find it very difficult to describe why, but I've never been blown away by one of his films.

Would've loved to see his Bioshock adaptation though. One case where I thought source material and director could have combined into a very rewarding whole.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I didn't know he was attached to Bioshock. I always thought Verbinski would have done a good job with it, but De Toro would have been even better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Oh, maybe he wasn't attached. I may just be confused. A few moments of idle speculation and swift denials online (http://ie.movies.ign.com/articles/868/868008p1.html), but nothing concrete. He has been working on a video game project and been in discussion with Bioshock creator Ken Levine: perhaps that's where I got confussed.

But still, would like to see it :pac:

Really hope this happens, I love the first two for me its the best comic adaptation, well maybe just behind Batman.

But even Batman cant compete for the visuals of Hellboy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Thought the second movie was crap tbh.

Thought the second movie was crap tbh.

Really why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Loved the 1st one had an awesome opening scene taking right out of indiana jones kind of, second was good but i felt it lost some of the magic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Hellboy chilling out with a little boy is easily the best photograph on the entire planet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Would be great to see a third film, especially if it added a capper on the overall arc that bubbled beneath the first two films; part of me though thinks it has been too long and the moment just a little bit lost. I dunno, I tend to believe there's an informal 'statute of limitations' when it comes to belated sequels to otherwise beloved franchises :D

Not that I wouldn't be immensely excited about the prospect of a third Hellboy film mind you - in a world where XXX manages to get a second sequel, and the Underworld series continues to give Kate Beckinsale gainful employment 5/6 films in, surely there's room for more Hellboy in our world...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Hold on, there's a Hellboy 2???

Advertisement