Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BB stops working intermittently but still available/connected. Any ideas?

• 04-05-2012 5:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

My BB stops working at random times for around 30s but sometimes for a few mins. On the router page it says DSL available and broadband connected. 100% sure its not my wireless or device or phone filters.
    So I guess that leaves it between my router or the exchange causing the problems, I have a feeling its the exchange as it happens more around midnight.
    Have tried resetting the router.

I have 3mbs with ifa telecom.

Anyone know wtf is going on?

If the exchange will it be a huge battle to get them to do anything?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Can you give a bit more detail on the "100% sure it's not wireless" point? Can you post the line statistics (aka the attenuation and signal margin values)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Duff Man Jr.

Thanks for the reply, i'm not sure if these screenshots have what you need? I can still mess around with the router (wirelessly) when the net isn't working so presumed it can't be that.
    7e0OB.png
    z1vrV.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The line's physical connection to the exchange is perfect. In those cases, I would presume the wireless or the computer itself is at fault. Have you been able to try another computer and evaluate how it works? Also, have you been able to run ping tests to www.boards.ie or www.rte.ie?? You could run it once while the internet's fine and once while you have connection problems and compare the results.

Yeah being able to access the router via wifi when there's a problem is a good sign that the wifi's not to blame. It's not guaranteed, but I agree with you there.

Have you the likes of torrent applications or filesharing or online gaming or other people using the connection in general, when there's problems?

It's totally random, no-matter what i'm running, I can't recreate it, if its down on the Computer its down on the phone.
    Edit, actually the ping doesn't change when its down. Gonna talk to the neighbors and see if they have problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Do you mean that the ping continues to get responses while your browser stops working for you? DNS is a likely cause if so.

• Advertisement

Zab wrote: »
    Do you mean that the ping continues to get responses while your browser stops working for you? DNS is a likely cause if so.

Yes but I don't think its DNS because I just changed from the default servers (esat) to google and it happens when playing games / watching streams.

Incase anyone finds this in the future, confirmed exchange fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

Incase anyone finds this in the future, confirmed exchange fault.
    Yeah we have had this problem with IFA before and they said they fixed the fault and tonight it went again. I'm very annoyed and thinking of moving companies as I'm not sure if it really is an exchange fault!!!

Advertisement