Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off to Battlebridge for the weekend

Options
  • 04-05-2012 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭

Just getting packed up to head off for 3 nights to Battlebridge.
    We've never been before so looking forward to it !

Have a great Bank Holiday y'all !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

safe travels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

I was looking at this spot too do tell how you get on ... Have a good time:)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

Battlebridge is a lovely little site situated right on the banks of the Shannon.
    Lovely riverside and woodland walks nearby. A real traditional old fashioned pub right at the entrance to the site and the food they serve is great too. We have been there several times in the past but haven't returned since we were terrorised by a black labrador pup that scared the life out of tha 4 kids that were in our group.
    When my better half mentioned it to the people in charge on site they claimed the dog was not theirs even though it was obvious to all on site that it was. Sorry to say , we haven't gone back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

demoreino wrote: »
    Battlebridge is a lovely little site situated right on the banks of the Shannon.
    Lovely riverside and woodland walks nearby.

Sounds like MIDGES AHHHRHGHHGHHG to me :-p

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭sunchaser

Some of my friends are heading to Killarney for the Rally of the Lakes and others who want a quiter weekend are heading to Mannix Point, Cahirciveen or Glen of Aherlow
    Wherever you all are have a great weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

that's a nice little campsite, we have been there several times,,

great to take the kayaks along and go along the river that borders the campsite

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

So - got back yesterday.

Had a lovely time - the site is in a nice location and the pub is owned by the people who run the site.

One things I wasn't too impressed with was the pitch we got was VERY close to a caravan with an awning out - so I had to park in the opposite direction or we would have literally been stepping out of our door into their awning.
    Also- the piece of grass we had beside our pitch was only about 4 foot wide - so quite tight,I would not have been able to set up my awning if I had brought it (there were other pitches with much more spaces though).
    The problem was that it was well booked up so we only really got what was left when we arrived at 9 on Friday night - we booked about a month ago, but apart from having a booking there seems to be no place numbers, so people who just turned up without booking could have been lucky and got a much better pitch, which I though was quite poor (maybe I'm just picky though).
    I talked to a couple not far from our spot who got a much nicer pitch but had just driven in and parked there without any booking (they didn't realise) but when the talked to the owners they were told it was fine to stay there.

The other annoying thing was there were no free electricity outlets beside us (one even had a 3 way adapter put in it that was fully used), but luckily I have a long, heavy duty cable so I was able to run it across to 1 free outlet that I found - but cars had to drive across my cable a few times (and I was a bit worried someone might have tripped on it, but I had no other choice)
    I think there was enough electricity outlets - just people were taking more than one. Again - I think this sort of think should be under surveillance of the campsite owners

The toilets / showers were just OK - about what I've come to expect from Irish campsites TBH

So all in all a nice enough site, but the organisation was poor I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

We've planned it for one of our trips this year, as I wanted to get a sneaky fish in, but to be honest yours is just another disappointing review that I've read. If they take bookings and you've booked well in advance, I wouldn't expect to be squashed in either. Any issue with dog's roaming and crapping all over the place - which is what I've read in other reviews?

Any issue with dog's roaming and crapping all over the place - which is what I've read in other reviews?
    Most dogs were on a leash - one we saw was not, but he looked a bit like a stray...

Oh yeah - one other thing. It says on their website that there is free WiFi but I couldn't see (on my phone or my wife's phone) any access point either from our camper or the pub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Oh yeah - one other thing. It says on their website that there is free WiFi but I couldn't see (on my phone or my wife's phone) any access point either from our camper or the pub

Did you ask them about it??

Did you ask them about it??
    Didn't bother to be honest, but there was no access point visible on a WiFi search (it's not like there was a locked one even)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭T650

Didn't bother to be honest, but there was no access point visible on a WiFi search (it's not like there was a locked one even)

It is possible to hide the SSID on a network. They might have done that. So you would need to type in network name as well as password.

It is possible to hide the SSID on a network. They might have done that. So you would need to type in network name as well as password.
    True, so I could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭T650

True, so I could be wrong

Or it could have been plugged out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Dibble

We stayed there over St. Patrick's weekend and got the WiFi code when we asked in the bar. Overall, we really enjoyed staying at Battlebridge and would stay there again. It's not perfect by any stretch, but we found the owners to be sound and the site to be clean. And the kids enjoyed it, which helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭chewed

Digging up this old thread rather than starting a new one!

I'm thinking of heading to Battlebridge in the camper for a weekend in mid July. It looks like a lovely spot, but I've read mixed reviews....especially around the noise levels and hen parties! I'm really looking for a quiet relaxed weekend.

Has anyone got any good/bad experiences with Battlebridge over the past few years?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

Lovely spot and area.
    Hens in separate area but they take over the small pub and like all hen parties they think they are the central attraction.
    But other than that they are no problem.
    Do a full walk around and find a spot away from the pub and you will be ok. Good spots are over at the far river side

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭pongo69

We are off to carne beach in wexford basic but all you want

pongo69 wrote:
    We are off to carne beach in wexford basic but all you want

Where's came beach?

• Advertisement

chewed wrote: »
    Where's came beach?

Ha! I was reading that from my phone this morning. I think I need glasses. Yes, it's Carne beach! :p

Advertisement