Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chemistry

• 04-05-2012 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I don't really understand why we dilute ethanoic acid in Exp/ To dermine the percentage of ethanoic acid in vinegar

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

inkapinka wrote: »
    I don't really understand why we dilute ethanoic acid in Exp/ To dermine the percentage of ethanoic acid in vinegar
    1.It's too concentrated
    2. Too much reagents (NaOH) would be used in the experiment
    3 If an error is made measuring a dilute solution, the endpoint wont be affected too much
    4 The end point would be too low

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

I'm fairly sure it's just to get a more accurate reading. If you used concentrated vinegar, the base would neutralise too quickly and it'd be more difficult to measure the amount needed for neutralisation. I think that's why, anyway, unless I'm getting it mixed up with another experiment

• Registered Users Posts: 28 inkapinka

What do you mean by end point would be to low, it's a part i do not understand//

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

inkapinka wrote: »
    What do you mean by end point would be to low, it's a part i do not understand//
    As in, only a tiny volume of vinegar from the burette would be used to neutralise the NaOH so the correct volume would be difficult to read!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 inkapinka

thank you)

• Advertisement
Advertisement