Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: URGENT - Lost Passport - Need New Visa

Options
  • 04-05-2012 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Sorry for the Duplication - I posted in the wrong thread!!

Hi All

Im really in an awful situation and dont know where to turn frown.gif

I have lost my passport here in Toronto and its going to take 3 weeks for a new one. I need to apply for a new IEC visa as my one is up end of June. (I know Im leaving it pretty late, didnt realise how fast they went this year) There is only 400 left and im pretty sure they will be gone by the time I get my new passport.

Here is what I was thinking (I am at my wits end so probably not thinking straight)
    Do you think I could possibly validate the forms using my old passport number etc and send off the application? hoping to get accepted?

Or

I was thinking of validating the forms now with my old details, waiting on my new passport and send off my visa then with a post dated mark on my application ?

Any advice/help greatly appreciated :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 coll123

Hi
    You're in a tough situation alright. I'd say the first thing to do is get a new passport sorted.

With your application you have to send a copy of your passport and they assign your work permit number to this passport. If you were to use your old passport i'd say it could cause difficulties for you in the long run.

I'd also definitely check on the time it takes to get a new passport - in Ireland it's 2 weeks (quickest way) and if it's lost/stolen there's a whole load of extra information and documents that you must provide so it's not an easy process. 3 weeks sounds too good to be true, unless they are just issuing an emergency one which might not be valid for very long ie 1 year.

Whether you validate your forms earlier or not won't make any difference, it is only when the application is scanned when they receive it by post is when the process starts.

Hope it works out for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 lolly23

Hi coll23

Thanks for your advice, its a tough one alright :(

I was already onto the Embassy Here in Ottawa and they have an express service for $210 for a passport in 3 weeks.

Its just my only problem then is by the time I receive it IEC places will have gone :( and was hoping to figure out some way around that (dont think there is one)

What I meant by validating is, I was going to use my old passport number to validate the forms to send the application to get the ball rolling. (Probably take them 3 weeks to even get round to my application) was hoping by then I would have my new passport and could contact them and give them a copy of my new passport etc. :confused:

Im just sooo confused and panicing at this stage I dont know what to do :(

• Registered Users Posts: 39 coll123

Hi

That might work alright - worth a shot anyway. Presume they can change a work permit number to a different passport at some stage in the process. Don't worry too much about the quota, it keeps going up and down, 400 today and might actually higher tomorrow cause of rejections etc. Just get the form filled in and sent off asap and you could be lucky.

Fingers crossed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

work permit is issued by the person's name, not their passport number

i changed my passport last year and stopped by immigration on a flight back in to query whether i needed anything changed. he said once my name and date of birth hadnt changed i was fine, and laughed

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

lolly23 wrote: »
    Sorry for the Duplication - I posted in the wrong thread!!

Hi All

Im really in an awful situation and dont know where to turn frown.gif

I have lost my passport here in Toronto and its going to take 3 weeks for a new one. I need to apply for a new IEC visa as my one is up end of June. (I know Im leaving it pretty late, didnt realise how fast they went this year) There is only 400 left and im pretty sure they will be gone by the time I get my new passport.

Here is what I was thinking (I am at my wits end so probably not thinking straight)
    Do you think I could possibly validate the forms using my old passport number etc and send off the application? hoping to get accepted?

Or

I was thinking of validating the forms now with my old details, waiting on my new passport and send off my visa then with a post dated mark on my application ?

Any advice/help greatly appreciated :(

If you use your old passport number I'd imagine they will reject your application!

It says clearly that your passport must be valid for the entirety of your work permit. So your getting a year one. And lets say it takes 3 months to process your application. Then your passport would have to be valid for a year and 3 months from the time you send your forms to the iec.

If you use your old 1 they'll throw out your application for being unelligable.

Do you know that you have to send photocopies of your passport with your application? Have you already got them?

• Advertisement

Thank you coll and Helix for your advice, Im sending my application today. No harm in at least trying as you said. Better than waiting and doing nothing!

Ill be 3 weeks waiting on a new passport anyway, might aswell chance it.

Ill keep you posted ...

NoelAPM wrote: »
    If you use your old passport number I'd imagine they will reject your application!

It says clearly that your passport must be valid for the entirety of your work permit. So your getting a year one. And lets say it takes 3 months to process your application. Then your passport would have to be valid for a year and 3 months from the time you send your forms to the iec.

If you use your old 1 they'll throw out your application for being unelligable.

Do you know that you have to send photocopies of your passport with your application? Have you already got them?

Hi Noel,

My new passport will be valid for 10 years so it will be well and truely in date!

And yes I know I have to send photocopies of my passport, if you read above I have said I already have them. (And this passport is also indate untill 2014) I havent 'officially' reported it lost as of yet, hence why I want to chance this first.

Im quite aware that the probability of me getting a visa at this stage is slim and none, but Like I said, I cant sit around and do nothing I have to at least chance it! Whats the worst that can happen they reject me and the quota is closed!! ..

I have already spoken to work about other options, I would just really like to get my 2nd year with the IEC though first....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Sounds like it'll all be good.

;)

Advertisement