Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP MCA

Options
  • 04-05-2012 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭

I don't normally do RIP Threads but decided today warranted it. Adam Yauch,better known to many as MCA in the Beastie Boys passed away at the age of 47 due to Cancer.

They had a place in the heart of many in the R&M community as a rap/rock crossover following their beginnings as a Punk band. They could rap,they played their own instruments and they could definitely rock.

Seen them in twice in the early 90's at the Tivoli and RDS and they put on a fantastic set. Sadly they'll probably call it quits following Yauch's passing.

Sad day.:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,463 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

not really a fan of the bestie boys but is very sad to see someone pass away so young and only weeks after being inducted into the rock n roll hall of fame.

RIP Adam Yauch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Just off the phone to my brother jeff in Vancouver he called me specifically to tell me.

Wonder if he'll get a mention in the actual rap forum due to musicianship, from his punk background. Fly bassist from a century when rap was still tolerable

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 92 ✭✭Polygon_window

I've already commented in 2 other threads !! But I'm sad today :(

RIP MCA

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Very sad to hear this. Annoyed that I chose to see Muse over them back in 07, mainly due to seeing Muse lots since then.

RIP, thanks for the tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Definitely a sad loss, RIP. Hopefully this will bring the Beastie Boys music to prominence for people starting out on a hip hop career and they'll follow them rather than the "bling n' bitchez" garbage that modern hip hop seems to be infested with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Ah no! This is very sad indeed, I'm a massive fan of the Beastie Boys, possibly my favourite rap group, they put so many different styles into their music, Licence To Ill was their first massively successful release with had variations of Rock/Metal music with badass Hip Hop vocals too, as well as plenty of stupidly cool beat driven tracks! Check Your Head and Ill Communication will be up there with two of the greatest albums from the 90's. I'm now happy that I got to play two of my favourite Beastie tracks on my radio show while I could ("Sure Shot" and "So What'cha Want").

Adam brought this coolness to Beastie Boys tracks that wouldn't be there if it wasn't for his cool rhymes and the slight roughness to his vocals, his lyric in "Intergalactic" that goes "If you try to knock me, you'll get mocked; I'll stir fry you in my wok" is probably my favourite in music! It's so cool and badass, but at the same time it has got this nerdy humour. And it makes it all so terrible that he was only 47, I remember hear about his cancer ages ago, and I remember thinking not too recently that he's been with it a long time, maybe that he was well onto recovery. So sad.

Thanks for the music, Adam Yauch (MCA). Thoughts with his friends and family.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭icarus86

Seen them a few times down through the years and they were great each time.

RIP...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Damn shame...RIP Adam!:(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

RayCon wrote: »
    Was just about to post that track up, awesome tune. I only was just watching this live studio version they did with Cypress Hill a few months ago, two awesome hip hop groups, two of the best in my opinion.

Edit:
    Lovely sentiment, but that version is.....

tumblr_m0xmh6rCEq1qbnggp.jpg

Remember you'd be at some house party early 90s, grungers / trashers / hippy chicks n sure shot or sabotage which were in heavy rotation at the time would come on n they were the one thing everyone agreed on. they were collectively everyone's favourites. Every rocker that is, this side of the pond

n when Yauch got all conscious with his yearning for all things tibetan and incorporated it into actual musicality, they really did take off. And always retained their clean comic humility were like The three stooges. three stereotypical NY Jewish boys the Adam Sandler collective in appealing to every youth across the board including the ones who never will grow up. whether us, or them

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Terrible news, one of the greats. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

LH Pathe wrote: »
    Wonder if he'll get a mention in the actual rap forum due to musicianship, from his punk background. Fly bassist from a century when rap was still tolerable

Yeah he got his own thread in the hip hop forum, the beasties are as much rock as they are hip hop to me.

Just thought I'd pay my respects in this thread too.
    RIP MCA.

Think it'd already been made too when I said that

.. anyhow RIP. best wishes to his wife
    n child Deshen & Tenzin, and Adam & Mike of course they've lost their big brother. seriously humble, good natured regular guy who only used his fame as a platform to lead his Free Tibet movement and attempt to dispel islamaphobia pre-9/11.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

One of the few rap/hip-hop acts I actually like, that's far too young an age to go at. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Malice wrote: »
    Definitely a sad loss, RIP. Hopefully this will bring the Beastie Boys music to prominence for people starting out on a hip hop career and they'll follow them rather than the "bling n' bitchez" garbage that modern hip hop seems to be infested with.

Because you know SO much about modern hip hop.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Because you know SO much about modern hip hop.

:rolleyes:

...and some of its touchy fans. :)

Note the use of the word "seems" in the post you quoted. I'm afraid that is the impression people with limited interest in the genre would have, like it or not.

Advertisement