Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Levels of love

• 04-05-2012 7:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭

I recently came back from the States after a short holiday. While there i met some cousins for the first time and after only about two days they were telling me they loved me. How could they love me ?They dont even know me.Before i came home even some of their friends were telling me the same. It got me thinking about the way the word Love is used in such a casual and flippant manner.Performers telling their audiences that they love them ! Religious leaders telling their congregations they love them. Politicians telling party members they love them.How can you love someone you do not even know ? At the top level of love i would put Parents, wife and children and grandchildren.At the next level i would put siblings, some Uncles Aunts and cousins. At that point in my opinion the word love ends and changes to like. !!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

i love cake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Love this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

I cake love

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Love yore Ma's diddys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I agree OP, it's thrown around like a greeting nowadays. I passed a group of teens the other day, a couple of them were leaving, and one of the girls hugged one of the lads, said love you. you could tell by her body language that it wasn't a boyfriend.

I may say it about things that I love, but I don't say it to people very often at all. though, that's probably not good either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

I've loved you all my life :P

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

Me balls are full of love.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Love is a chemical reaction, common among family members, close friends and sexual partners.

It is also a synonym for

fancy/want to fúck - I love the new girl
    enjoy - I love Ben and Jerrys
    like - I love all my mates
    respect - I love my new history professor
    sex = we made sweet anal love all night long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

I Love Scotch

Scothchy Scotchy Scotch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

lanomist wrote: »
    I recently came back from the States after a short holiday. While there i met some cousins for the first time and after only about two days they were telling me they loved me. How could they love me ?They dont even know me.Before i came home even some of their friends were telling me the same. It got me thinking about the way the word Love is used in such a casual and flippant manner.Performers telling their audiences that they love them ! Religious leaders telling their congregations they love them. Politicians telling party members they love them.How can you love someone you do not even know ? At the top level of love i would put Parents, wife and children and grandchildren.At the next level i would put siblings, some Uncles Aunts and cousins. At that point in my opinion the word love ends and changes to like. !!

Aha! So you do love your cousins!

• Advertisement

I Love Scotch

Scothchy Scotchy Scotch

and chunkiness surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I love lamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭CavanCrew

Rather a lot of love than a lot of hate !

LOVE U BBZ XOXOXOX.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

With the overuse and consequent depreciation leading to the creation of such awful distinctions as "I love you but I'm not in love with you..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭ihsb

I love my family, my friends and my OH. I cannot imagine having friends around that I didn't love.

Ficheall wrote: »
    With the overuse and consequent depreciation leading to the creation of such awful distinctions as "I love you but I'm not in love with you..."

so do you love yore ma?

it's a necessary distinction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Is one of your cousins called Cletus, and can he play the banjo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Eathrin wrote: »
    I love lamp.

Do you really love lamp or are you just saying that because you saw it? :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The cute girl in the bakery shop always greets me with a ' hiya love ' but not in a stoopid ,sloppy way so I don't mind ...ffs she look like Britney Spears so why would I :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

This one goes out to the one I love
    This one goes out to the one 've left behind
    A simple prop to occupy my time
    This one goes out to the one I love

FIRE

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I love my brick.

Latchy wrote: »
    The cute girl in the bakery shop always greets me with a ' hiya love ' but not in a stoopid ,sloppy way so I don't mind ...ffs she look like Britney Spears so why would I :p

Does she have big baps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

I love my ass

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

forfuxsake wrote: »
    Does she have big baps?

I heard she was an (apple) tart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

ihsb wrote: »
    I love my family, my friends and my OH. I cannot imagine having friends around that I didn't love.

No liking? Just striaght to love? What a beautiful open heart you have ihsb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

thread is full of incest right from the get go:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

forfuxsake wrote: »
    Does she have big baps?
    Yea ...sprinkled with wheatgerm to .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I love lots of stuff :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭ihsb

HazDanz wrote: »
    No liking? Just striaght to love? What a beautiful open heart you have ihsb.

Friends are those people I have known for years and tell everything to. I have about five of them. Everyone else is an acquaintance to me.

And yes my heart is very open. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

The love between a man and a woman, or the love a man has for a fine cuban cigar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I don't say I love men much, but I do Love Fernando Torres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

the_monkey wrote: »
    I don't say I love men much, but I do Love Fernando Torres.

Is it because he's scoring goals again or because of his lovely preened blonde hair?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Maybe you're just a ride

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

its said way too much :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

its said way too much :o

Alright but it's not a crime either. I wouldn't stop someone saying "I love football" mid-sentence to question whether they value football as much as their closest.
    The one exaggeration that really annoys me thoughts when people say literally. "I literally died". Did you now? Feck off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Alright but it's not a crime either. I wouldn't stop someone saying "I love football" mid-sentence to question whether they value football as much as their closest.
    The one exaggeration that really annoys me thoughts when people say literally. "I literally died". Did you now? Feck off.

Literally is the worst. 'The crowd is literally going mental.' Really? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

retalivity wrote: »
    i love cake

In Russia cake love you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Jammy Donut

I'm not the only one thinking OPs cousin is into incest am I?

Sowwi OP :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭jiltloop

That's strange, you would love your siblings less than parents, wife children and grandchildren? For me they would be on at least the same level. I'd certainly love my siblings more than "some uncles, aunts and cousins". Do you not get on too well with your siblings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

I think females can be flippant about love. Are these cousins female? I think men take longer to fall in love, real love and it's deeper and more complex than what women understand of the word.

For example, men sometimes commit suicide when relationships end, I've never heard of a woman doing this. I think men have deeper emotions in respect of love, something a woman could never understand imho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭.SONIC.

brick love lamp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Or just as bad is when people say "its the worst thing ever". NO, getting a few grey hairs doing i your hamstring is not the worst thing ever. On the other hand if you had all the limbs pulled apart in your body or burying one of your children.

I think females can be flippant about love. Are these cousins female? I think men take longer to fall in love, real love and it's deeper and more complex than what women understand of the word.

For example, men sometimes commit suicide when relationships end, I've never heard of a woman doing this. I think men have deeper emotions in respect of love, something a woman could never understand imho.

Your well and truly opening up a can of worms there. Although I think theres a certain level of foundation in the point you make I do see it as too much of a generalisation all the same. I think you need to look at each individual as opposed to the two genders

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭duiggers

I love lamp.

Do you really love that lamp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Your well and truly opening up a can of worms there. Although I think theres a certain level of foundation in the point you make I do see it as too much of a generalisation all the same. I think you need to look at each individual as opposed to the two genders

I agree, but I did intend it to be a generalisation and why not. I think it's safe to generalise men and women as we're fundamentally different.

Perhaps, females can better manage and deal with their emotions. I've heard the argument that women can open up and have better support from their peers than men. Which is fine but I don't buy it. We know the adage of "forgetting the pain of birth" maybe they simply forget emotions and feelings quicker and more easily than men.

Or maybe as I was originally suggesting, they don't feel love to as a deep a level as men do. Maybe that's why the best pieces of work in terms of art & music throughout history are from men and not women. Is it because a womans passion is not as passionate as a mans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

I recently came back from the States after a short holiday. While there i met some cousins for the first time and after only about two days they were telling me they loved me. How could they love me ?

Hmm, are your cousins from the deep south? Perhaps they weren't saying "we love you" but rather, "we loved you" in the biblical sense. Did you wake up with a sore ar$e and feelings of guilt in the morning?

I agree, but I did intend it to be a generalisation and why not. I think it's safe to generalise men and women as we're fundamentally different.

Perhaps, females can better manage and deal with their emotions. I've heard the argument that women can open up and have better support from their peers than men. Which is fine but I don't buy it. We know the adage of "forgetting the pain of birth" maybe they simply forget emotions and feelings quicker and more easily than men.

If you are to generalise I would certainly tend to agree with you Battered Mars Bar. From experience of relationships I've being in and those of friends that have failed it would certainly seem as if women tend to bounce back quicker usually, or so it would seem anyway. I suppose the fact that men are more inclined to bottle up their emotions and not deal with them effectively doesn't help though.
    Or maybe as I was originally suggesting, they don't feel love to as a deep a level as men do. Maybe that's why the best pieces of work in terms of art & music throughout history are from men and not women. Is it because a womans passion is not as passionate as a mans.

I'm not entirely sure if I follow your point on that one. Although I would again agree that men generally tend to possess deeper levels of love and passion I'm note entirely sure how this translates into higher levels of artistic talent....perhaps there is some correlation though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

Love comes in spurts :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

mongdesade wrote: »
    Love comes in spurts :eek: :D

I like to let love wash over me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I think women say it much more than men, my ex was always telling me she loved me and would be expecting me to say it back. But to me it sounds soppy to be saying it everyday to someone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement