Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harbourmaster IFSC

Options
  • 04-05-2012 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Has anyone else had a problem with customer service at the Harbourmaster IFSC? I called up this evening to book a table for dinner for two using a voucher, and was shocked at the rude response from the manager! I was refused a booking and told that calling up on the night, "wasn't good enough"!!

I wouldn't mind if the restaurant was fully booked, but the manager actually told me on the phone that there were tables available but that we couldn't have a table unless we were going to pay for our meal- not use the voucher! The voucher is just a meal they've already been paid for though?!!

Leaving aside for the moment the rudeness of the manner in which we were told, are restaurants allowed to do this? To refuse a booking that we've essentially already paid for?! It says on the voucher that 'reservations are required and subject to availability', but obviously nothing about people paying by voucher having to defer to people paying in other ways!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

You didn't have a reservation.
    Simply make a reservation and go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 SCAW

That's exactly the point! We were phoning up to make a reservation, and were told that phoning to make a reservation on the same night that we wanted to go for dinner ''wasn't good enough'', despite also being told that there was space available (though apparently not for people who'd already paid for their meal by voucher)!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

More of a Consumer Issue. Moved from Food & Drink.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

Why not ring up, book table, eat meal and pay with voucher? Simples. They can't refuse it if its valid etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Why would anybody making a reservation even mention that they would be using a voucher?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Recessionbust

SCAW wrote: »
    Has anyone else had a problem with customer service at the Harbourmaster IFSC? I called up this evening to book a table for dinner for two using a voucher, and was shocked at the rude response from the manager! I was refused a booking and told that calling up on the night, "wasn't good enough"!!

I wouldn't mind if the restaurant was fully booked, but the manager actually told me on the phone that there were tables available but that we couldn't have a table unless we were going to pay for our meal- not use the voucher! The voucher is just a meal they've already been paid for though?!!

Leaving aside for the moment the rudeness of the manner in which we were told, are restaurants allowed to do this? To refuse a booking that we've essentially already paid for?! It says on the voucher that 'reservations are required and subject to availability', but obviously nothing about people paying by voucher having to defer to people paying in other ways!!

It is bad customer service. It sounds like they already know they have their money an would rather have people in that were goin to give them more money. I agree with other posters make a reservation an pay with the voucher an don't say anything to them before about the voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BlueCam

SCAW wrote: »

Completely illegal. If they've admitted there were tables available then they have no right to refuse a reservation unless it says on the voucher "must book at least 1 day in advance" etc. It's a breach of contract, pure and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

Found the staff very snotty last two times I was in there so I don't go in anymore.

First incident was we wanted to order food. We were sitting upstairs in bar so they rudely told my husband they wouldnt bring it up the stairs and we could collect it from the bar. Got the feeling they didnt want to serve us at all - despite there being a menu on our table - so we left.

Second time it was dead quiet at the bar man was yacking to a friend while ignoring me standing at the bar.
    When he finally served me he took my money and went back to yacking.
    I stood for a second in amazement. He gestured at the drinks and said "theyre your drinks".
    I said "Are you going to give me my change?"
    He looked snotty and said "oh it was 20c or something" and slapped it down on the bar.
    Now its beneath me to kick up a fuss over 20c but it was just the whole attitude of the place so it was the last straw for me and I refuse to go in there now.
    I doubt they miss me though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

jeez they sound pleasant! one thing to the people who said don't mention the voucher til you come to pay. i don't know the type of voucher it was (eg gift voucher for the place, or groupon or the like) but i know generally with the likes of groupon vouchers you need to mention in advance that you are using a groupon voucher. like it is a t&c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

hdowney wrote: »
    jeez they sound pleasant! one thing to the people who said don't mention the voucher til you come to pay. i don't know the type of voucher it was (eg gift voucher for the place, or groupon or the like) but i know generally with the likes of groupon vouchers you need to mention in advance that you are using a groupon voucher. like it is a t&c
    OP said the meal was paid for so implied a gift voucher. Groupon certainly a different matter altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

BlueCam wrote: »
    Completely illegal. If they've admitted there were tables available then they have no right to refuse a reservation unless it says on the voucher "must book at least 1 day in advance" etc.

Can you quote that law/provide a link please?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Recessionbust

Magenta wrote: »
    BlueCam wrote: »
    Completely illegal. If they've admitted there were tables available then they have no right to refuse a reservation unless it says on the voucher "must book at least 1 day in advance" etc.

Can you quote that law/provide a link please?

Don't think he can to be honest. Not that I agree with the way the customer was treated but I doubt there is a law that covers this as with all business "The management and its agents reserve the right" just a pity that its sometimes abused which seems to be the case here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

It very much depends on where the voucher is from. If its a groupon then his contract is with them and not the Pub. I have to say if it is groupon I'd get on to them and get a refund. Explain the situation and they will most likely refund you.

If the voucher is from the restaurant then the situation is different but I would be very surprised if they could see you a gift voucher and then refuse to serve you.

I'd like to say that the shoddy service will get them their comeuppance, but having briefly managed a premises near there I know the footfall :mad:

Advertisement