Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I rescued a baby bird!

• 04-05-2012 7:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭

:)

Turns out I'm quite the little rescue worker.

Five hours it took us to free him from behind the kitchen fixtures. God only knows how he flew in there... His little chirps for help all day and the occasional flutter of his wings will be missed I have to say. :(

He's now back safe living with his family in a nest on the roof of my shed.

Anyone ever have an uninvited wild guest take up lodging in their house?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Dean0088 wrote: »

Five hours it took us to free him from behind the kitchen fixtures. God only knows how he flew in there... His little chirps for help all day and the occasional flutter of his wings will be missed I have to say. :(

Uninvited? I invite them.

Nest boxes, feeders and leaving they're previous nests so they can come back. Its nice to have a bit of wildlife in the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Make him a new home in the hair on your hands:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I hope you're proud of yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwww. So cute.

Well done, OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

poor little thing.

i've helped a few birds, never had any uninvited in my house though, don't know how that could happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Years ago a bird flew into our living room window full force, the thud made me jump up, looked out to see him lying stone dead on the ground. :(
    At least the cats got a free munch. :)

Years ago a bird flew into our living room window full force, the thud made me jump up, looked out to see him lying stone dead on the ground. :(
    At least the cats got a free munch. :)

It's possible he was just stunned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

This story is only going to attract moar birds to you.
    Well done love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Awwwwhhhhh!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Yeah..well today I made friends with another cat in my neighborhood so ha!

Jk op, good stuff. He looks adorable :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

Yeah, a French student invited his girlfriend over for a visit.... had to turf the pair of them out after 4 weeks, never thought of putting a nest in the roof of the shed!! Next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

bronte wrote: »
    Awwwwhhhhh!!
    See what I mean:D:P

earpiece wrote: »
    Yeah, a French student invited his girlfriend over for a visit.... had to turf the pair of them out after 4 weeks, never thought of putting a nest in the roof of the shed!! Next time.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Stop messing with fate or you'll end up killing us all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

A few years back I was chilling out at home with my brother. Having a relaxing Saturday afternoon with a few smokes and playing Playstation. Out of nowhere there was an almighty sound coming from the fireplace. It went on for a good 30 seconds until a crow fell out of the chimney along with a pile of soot. I don't know who was more freaked out.

We sat there looking at each other for a minute until I got my head together and got a shopping bag and put it over him then picked him up and brought him outside and let him go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

A bird shat on my car window once, I never took her to the cinema again! :mad:

No, seriously OP, well done! I myself have a pair of great tits nesting on the cavity of my wall in the back garden. They've laid eggs now, so am keeping a keen eye on things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I dunno whether this is a pile of bollix or whatever, but someone told me years ago if you handle the bird the parents reject it or summat. I remember finding a fallen nest and I went to go rounding up the chicks that were on the ground, but I was told not to touch them and they were fúcked anyway.

I hope that wasn't a lie :(
    BX 19 wrote: »
    Uninvited? I invite them.

Nest boxes, feeders and leaving they're previous nests so they can come back. Its nice to have a bit of wildlife in the garden.

I don't have a nest box because the birds probably wouldnt settle with the dog in the garden (he chases them), but I do keep different kinds of feed in the garden. It is nice to see them coming and going :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Abi wrote: »
    I dunno whether this is a pile of bollix or whatever, but someone told me years ago if you handle the bird the parents reject it or summat. I remember finding a fallen nest and I went to go rounding up the chicks that were on the ground, but I was told not to touch them and they were fúcked anyway.

I hope that wasn't a lie :(

I was told something similar about a bird's nest, if you went near it the mother would desert the unhatched eggs or something like that. I wasn't much of a climber as a youngster anyway so didn't pay too much heed to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

8-10 Cats at any one time, A town Fox, Hedgehogs turning up to eat
    the catfood and starlings in the attic and any stray dog is usually what trots through our door where we live.

~B

That's told to people so they won't go at the nests or disturb them,it stresses them out. Also so you don't draw attention to them for predators

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

For all we know the OP could be a sociopathic sadistic attention seeking bird kidnapper. I've seen his kind many times before.:mad:

Be wary, be very wary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

kfallon wrote: »
    I was told something similar about a bird's nest, if you went near it the mother would desert the unhatched eggs or something like that. I wasn't much of a climber as a youngster anyway so didn't pay too much heed to it!

Glad its not just me that heard this, but alas! the internet provides the answers yet again!
    It is a myth that after human hands handle the babies that the parents won’t come back to care for the birds. Try to place the baby back into the nest.

Source

That lying fúcking bastard! :mad: All them birdies are dedded over his lies :(

Glad its not just me that heard this, but alas! the internet provides the answers yet again!

or me..... 5 minutes previously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Source

That lying fúcking bastard! :mad: All them birdies are dedded over his lies :(

Ah Jaysus wept, was anything I was told when I was younger true? Next you'll be telling me that if the wind changed when I made a face it wouldn't stay like that........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

n'Awwwwwwwwwww.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Awww babybird, you're gorgeous :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

It's possible he was just stunned.

With a cat munching him after I reckon you shouldn't hold your breath on that one...:p

Cicero wrote: »
    With a cat munching him after I reckon you shouldn't hold your breath on that one...:p

well obviously once the cat got him..it's a different story :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,508 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Years ago what we thought was a bird flew in through our kitchen window. We assumed it would fly out again as it was a frequent occurance. A couple of weeks later a horrible rotten smell started developing in the kitchen. Anyway I checked every nook and cranny until I found a dead bat :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

kfallon wrote: »
    Ah Jaysus wept, was anything I was told when I was younger true? Next you'll be telling me that if the wind changed when I made a face it wouldn't stay like that........

In your case , with your sneaky fingerin' , that wind might build up into pressure.

May not be entirely true, cider confuses me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

My cat once paralysed a baby rabbit and left it outside the back door. It was a sweet little thing but I couldn't do anything for him but wrap him up in a towel and bring him inside. I left him in a box downstairs that night and he was dead when I got up the next morning.

My cat once paralysed a baby rabbit and left it outside the back door. It was a sweet little thing but I couldn't do anything for him but wrap him up in a towel and bring him inside. I left him in a box downstairs that night and he was dead when I got up the next morning.

The cat or the rabbit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

mattjack wrote: »
    The cat or the rabbit ?

The bunny rabbit.

The bunny rabbit.

Sleep well , little rabbit prince .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

wil wrote: »
    Awww babybird, you're gorgeous :D

You've been waiting for this thread so you could say that...haven't you? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

We have loads of trees around & lots of birds nests...lovely to hear the chatter in the springtime!

We put in a bird feeder over the winter, but our fecking cat is now having a field day.... killing about 2 blackbirds a week. I'm thinking of taking down the feeder. Want to keep the cat cos hes good for murdering rats as well...

FoxT wrote: »
    We have loads of trees around & lots of birds nests...lovely to hear the chatter in the springtime!

We put in a bird feeder over the winter, but our fecking cat is now having a field day.... killing about 2 blackbirds a week. I'm thinking of taking down the feeder. Want to keep the cat cos hes good for murdering rats as well...

yes you really should take down the feeder!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

My oh saved a little lamb today who was out on the road and put it back in the field. Good Times

On the other hand, it will now probably become chops. Bad Times:(

FoxT wrote: »

In all my time on this here earth , I have never heard a tree and a birds nest chat to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

I carried out a similar rescue operation last year, saved the bird and everything. Then two days later I looked out the kitchen window to see my dog killing the little thing :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I feed foxes, badgers and birds in my garden. Well done for looking after the bird!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭MadameGascar

Five hours, very good op :D I've rescued a good few birds but unfortunately a lot of them don't live, think the fear can kill them.

My house(hot spot being my bedroom:eek:) was infested with hobo spiders until recently. The father is a carpenter so at some stage over the years they got in through deliveries. We didn't know there were venomous spiders in the house until I got some nasty bites in bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Old Tom

Usually my cat takes care of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Chamone MF

5 hours, wow thats some effort.
    But worth it to save a birds life.

All sorted, anyway it 13.30 so you can get that chicken sambo now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Kersh

stimpson wrote: »
    A few years back I was chilling out at home with my brother. Having a relaxing Saturday afternoon with a few smokes and playing Playstation. Out of nowhere there was an almighty sound coming from the fireplace. It went on for a good 30 seconds until a crow fell out of the chimney along with a pile of soot. I don't know who was more freaked out.

We sat there looking at each other for a minute until I got my head together and got a shopping bag and put it over him then picked him up and brought him outside and let him go.

This happened to us too a few years back. He kept flying around and bashing into the ceiling.
    Wrecked the place! The ceiling had soot marks all over it.
    We eventually caught him and put him out in the back garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Kinda, I was in the garden a few years ago and I found a baby bird lying in it under a tree. It was still alive so I looked up but the nest was completely destroyed, bit of it all over the tree. So I got a lunch box and filled it with kitchen roll and put the chick in it. I had an old cage, which I cleaned up and left the bird in that, in the makeshift nest. I went online and looked up how to care for it and rang the ISPCA and a few bird societies and learned more.

I had it for months! It was almost full developed and trying to fly when it died unexpectedly. I was actually heartbroken because it was my little helpless baby which I cared for and protected and it was getting so strong (we called her Thitim as in the Irish for I fell :P). I rang one of the societies and they said it happens a lot with birds and that I had done very well to keep it alive for so long.

sup_dude wrote: »
    Kinda, I was in the garden a few years ago and I found a baby bird lying in it under a tree. It was still alive so I looked up but the nest was completely destroyed, bit of it all over the tree. So I got a lunch box and filled it with kitchen roll and put the chick in it. I had an old cage, which I cleaned up and left the bird in that, in the makeshift nest. I went online and looked up how to care for it and rang the ISPCA and a few bird societies and learned more.

I had it for months! It was almost full developed and trying to fly when it died unexpectedly. I was actually heartbroken because it was my little helpless baby which I cared for and protected and it was getting so strong (we called her Thitim as in the Irish for I fell :P). I rang one of the societies and they said it happens a lot with birds and that I had done very well to keep it alive for so long.

That's so sweet. Poor Thitim :(

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Chiliroses

Aww thats so cute, well done :) I was working in a museum last summer and a bird flew in the window, took me a while to catch him he was really worked up, it was great to get him out into freedom though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

When I was little, my siblings and I found an egg, unhatched at blessington lakes and walked home with it ever so carefully. We chatted the whole way home about how to care for it, who would take the night shifts in case it hatched that night and all.

When we got home, my brother put it on the windowsill in order to have his hands free to look for the spare key.

It rolled off and cracked. We had been nursing a very rotten hard boiled egg from someone's picnic :)

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

You rule, OP.

• Advertisement
Advertisement