Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Women's double trap, will the ISSF and IOC governing body's bring it back?

• 04-05-2012 8:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Fatima+Galvez+ISSF+Shooting+World+Cup+LOCOG+yr8fD8osl_Vl.jpg
    Fátima Gálvez of Spain shooting at the the Women's Trap Final on day eight of the ISSF Shooting World Cup LOCOG Test Event for London 2012 at The Royal Artillery Barracks on April 26, 2012 in London, England.
    (April 25, 2012 - Source: Lars Baron/Getty Images Europe)

The year 1937 saw the first participation of a Woman in an open World Championship event. Catherine Woodring fired as a member of the USA team, winning the 50-meter rifle prone gold team medal.

The ISSF recognized all of its open events as “mixed” events where women could participate with men in 1966. The IOC also agreed to apply this standard to Olympic shooting events. For four Olympiads, from 1968 through 1980, the Olympic shooting events were mixed, with opportunities for women and men to participate regardless of gender.
    Margaret Murdock’s silver medal in three-position rifle at the 1976 Olympic Games made her the first markswoman in history to win an individual Olympic medal . The event was open, with men and women competing against each other. She won a silver medal that year, after tying with Lanny Bassham, the U.S. team captain. Olympic rules forbade a shoot-off, which Bassham had requested. During the national anthem, Bassham pulled Murdock up to stand with him on the gold medal spot at the podium.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1091377/index.htm

Murdock’s success opened the door for the inclusion of three separate women’s events at the 1984 Olympic Games in Los Angeles, California. Women’s air rifle, three position rifle and sport pistol were all added to the Olympic program. Pat Spurgin became the first markswoman in history to capture an Olympic gold medal in women’s air rifle.

Separate men’s and women’s air pistol events were added to the Olympic program in 1988. The first women’s shotgun event in double trap debuted at the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta, Georgia, but was cut from the sport listing after the 2004 Olympic Games. Women’s skeet and trap have been in the Olympic lineup since 2000.

Olympic Doubles Trap was created as an attempt to mix the best parts of Skeet with the high points of Trap to form an event for women. According to many members of the international governing body for shooting sports there were not enough women competing in World level competitions in skeet and trap to allow them to compete with everyone else in trap and skeet. So they created International Doubles Trap to have a sport where women compete against only women. Women could no longer compete internationally in skeet and trap under the auspices of Olympic competition. They could now only compete in doubles trap. Women shoot 40-targets per round. A tournament is usually 120 targets. After the L’Union Internationale de Tir (UIT) created this game that was just for women, men decided they liked it so the UIT created a doubles trap event just for men. Men shoot 50 targets per round with a tournament being 150 targets. So you see that women and men's scores cannot be compared. It is also worthy to note that at the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona a woman (Zhang Shan) from China set a new world record and won the Gold Medal in Skeet. The following year women were removed from International skeet and trap.

Women's double trap, will the ISSF & IOC governing body's bring it back?

Your thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

The 1996 Double Trap Gold medal winner is back for more.

69743673-03172746.jpg

Five in Five - Can She Do It? Kim Rhode is no stranger to success. The four-time Olympic medalist is chasing Olympic history. Not only did she nearly double the requisite number of U.S. Olympic selection points, but she was the first American nominated to the 2012 team. If she wins a medal in London, she will become the first American Olympian from an individual sport to accomplish this feat. Originally a women’s double trap shooter, Rhode proved her versatility as she switched to women’s skeet when double trap was removed as a women’s event after the 2004 Games in Athens. Rhodes won a silver medal in women’s skeet in 2008 in Beijing. With five international medals (three gold and two silver) in the past two years, it’s no wonder Rhode is the No. 1-ranked women’s skeet shooter in the world and a clear candidate for the top of the podium in London.

"Ah, the glamour of being an Olympic medalist.

It is an overcast Wednesday morning in Newhall. The parking lot at the Oak Tree Gun Club is already filling up and the greatest competitive female gunslinger in the history of the good ol' USA is being put through the paces by a photographer.

Kim Rhode, who drives a pickup truck, is on a path that could make her the first U.S. athlete in an individual sport to win a medal in five consecutive Olympics."
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-oly-shooting-rhode-20120504,0,1147513.column

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Women's double trap, will the ISSF & IOC governing body's bring it back?
    Your thoughts.

I'd say that the ISSF would bring back women's double trap, all the 300m events, all the fullbore pistol events and about forty other events like 10m and 50m Running Target onto the Olympic programme if they had any choice in the matter.

The dropped events are dropped because NBC tells the IOC that they can't sell advertising space using them; the IOC then puts in sports like Womens Beach Volleyball because NBC pays the bill for the Games to the tune of tens of billions of dollars; and the ISSF gets told it has to cut an event or reduce the number of competitors.

As far as the ISSF is concerned, they're presented with a sophie's choice of a situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

You mean to tell me it's all about money. :rolleyes:

I surely have led a sheltered life, :rolleyes: ...... sex sells, who knew :cool: so g-strings and codpieces are the new uniforms. I'll be. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

sex sells, who knew :cool: so g-strings and codpieces are the new uniforms. I'll be. :confused:

Nah, they were going to do that, but we sent them photos of most of our prone shooters and for some reason they've taken it off the table.

I don't think it's all about money...
    ...if I did, I wouldn't shoot.

• Advertisement

Nah, they were going to do that, but we sent them photos of most of our prone shooters and for some reason they've taken it off the table.
    And yet, most of those prone shooters wore the lycra anyway... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Sparks wrote: »
    And yet, most of those prone shooters wore the lycra anyway... :D

Yeah, now the ISSF are making it *mandatory* to put on shooting clothes over it too. :D

Yeah, now the ISSF are making it *mandatory* to put on shooting clothes over it too. :D
    I don't mind that so much, but the new hotpants rule does seem a bit much :D

Advertisement