Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kingfisher Gym

Options
  • 04-05-2012 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

My renewal is up in the Kingfisher Gym soon and I'm wondering weather to renew it again or can anyone recomend somewhere different like Goldstones Gym?.I like the Kingfisher,plenty of cardio machines etc, but I've heard it has now over 2000 members and I have noticed it has become extreamly busy,which leads the changing rooms to be a bit of a nightmare(cant get near lockers,or no room to put your bag down).I've also noticed its nearly impossable to use the free weights now,people just coming in to use them and nothing else(would'nt they be better off joining Waterford Weight Lifting Club?)also most of the classes seem to be booked up all the time so its hard to get to one unless you put your name down a week in advance.Any other members think the same as me?.Should I renew or try somewhere different?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Doesnt sound good at all. If you can leave your bag down, get a locker and cant use the weights because other people are using them all the time then I dont see any point in renewing your membership down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

It usually dies down come the summer, they work on the principle that most people will not continue to use the gym after a few months, and they usually get it right.
    If I were you I would hold out and leave your renewal for as long as possible. The last time I did this they offered 14 months for 12 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

When I signed up I was a student and employed part-time, they gave me a year for €360.

Haven't really enjoyed using the place. One machine I need to use is nearly always out of order.

I got a call last week saying my membership was running out in two weeks. Wasn't gonna renew because I really don't have the money.
    "Are you working at the moment Mitch?"
    I'm not unfortunately I lost my job.
    "Are you still a student though?"
    No I'm finished with while now. And no job to show for it sadly!
    "Ah I see, well sure look in that case your membership will go up to around €450 for the year, how does that sound?"
    Yeah.....no thanks....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'm looking into joining one myself now that I'll be back in Waterford city working soon and my hours will have mornings free.

However I'm not pushed on kingfisher. I would have liked to give Spirit or the tower ago but parking is a pain in the ass and it's not free.

Pity there isn't really anywhere else with a pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 wsopchamp

was in Kingfisher up untill Jan of this year.Left for all sorts of reasons that i wont go into but Joined up Crossfit and its a whole different ballgame, never experienced pain like it (in a good way).not for everyony but if u catch the bug for it you will never return to an "ordinary Gym " again.and its all free weights up there,,not a machine in sight except for a few rowers and a couple of the trainers lol...By all accounts Goldstone is place to go if thats the type of gym ur lookin for,,,lots of great reviews here for it ( x-infantry-man ) seems to be the man in the know on in,,,dont think it has a pool but not 100% sure on that..
    woodlands ,spirit ,tower and educo gym are a few of the others ,,dont know much about them so cant comment,,

• Advertisement

ziedth wrote: »
    I'm looking into joining one myself now that I'll be back in Waterford city working soon and my hours will have mornings free.

However I'm not pushed on kingfisher. I would have liked to give Spirit or the tower ago but parking is a pain in the ass and it's not free.

Pity there isn't really anywhere else with a pool.
    Woodlands??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

wsopchamp wrote: »
    Woodlands??

Not a bad idea. Its only about a ten min drive from work out the outer ring road.

Is that other hotel still open out the old Kilmedan road? IIRC that had a pool

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

The kingfisher's been going downhill for ages,i let my membership run out last week and they kinda pestered me to renew(calling me at home and work etc).
    The 1 major gripe i had with the place was the kids in the locker rooms(boys & girls),totally inapropriate,embarrassing for all involved and unnessasary seeing as there was a family room that could be used.
    I used to love the Jacuzzi there until that white foamy scum like stuff engulfed the place,you'd come out covered in the stuff,also 1 time a used plaster floated by me which nearly made me puke.
    i think i'll stick to running on the outer ring road for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭watermark

I would have liked to give Spirit or the tower ago but parking is a pain in the ass and it's not free.

ya can park free in the aldi carpark with spirit (3hrs) the lads stamp ur ticket at reception for ya. not ideal, but still free :)

also bradolf i think kids are allowed into opposite sex changing rooms unless they are 8 or over, could be wrong but even at that it is wicked uncomfortable wen tryin to dry off and get dressed in front of a 5 year old girl!

pity bout most gyms is if ya reduce the prices ya get loads of people joinin but the place gets crowded. or ya keep the prices high and keep it comfortable for people! hard to find a balance i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

Isn't Goldstone only 225 for the year at the moment? thats a super deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭watermark

Typhoon. wrote: »
    Isn't Goldstone only 225 for the year at the moment? thats a super deal

its savage actually, was thinkin bout joining up myself. must be a catch tho?

oh ya wanna use the treadmill, that an extra €5...........have an image of the sales reps in goldstone like ur woman off the no nonsense car insurance adds

ya want classes included? and towels?!! aaahhhhahahahah :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

I'm pretty sure the €225 offer is over now guys. No harm in ringing them just to see though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

watermark wrote: »
    its savage actually, was thinkin bout joining up myself. must be a catch tho?

oh ya wanna use the treadmill, that an extra €5...........have an image of the sales reps in goldstone like ur woman off the no nonsense car insurance adds

ya want classes included? and towels?!! aaahhhhahahahah :D
    ah its not like that in there at all,lol defo not a ryanair type place where everything else is charged for, but op pop down there talk to alan he'll give you a tour, talk you through everything that you need to know and if there is any special offers like the €225 deal that just ended this week then he'll give ya the heads up, do a thread search of joining goldstone also as there good bit of info there also

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

ziedth wrote: »
    Not a bad idea. Its only about a ten min drive from work out the outer ring road.
    Its for exercise, jog out to the place and leave the car at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 threerivers

I think that offer is still on in Goldstone.I'm on the outer ring road fairly often and there never seems to be many cars outside the place.Suppose it would be worth checking out.I also heard Cross Fit is €70 a month which seems way too expensive.

I think that offer is still on in Goldstone.I'm on the outer ring road fairly often and there never seems to be many cars outside the place.Suppose it would be worth checking out.I also heard Cross Fit is €70 a month which seems way too expensive.
    actually 75 but prices vary depending on the package,,puts a lot of people off but i dont mind payin as im seeing good results for my money,,Id say Goldstone is ur best bet and gets very good revies here.
    just outta intrest any one here know how much Waterford Weight Lifting Club is to join and is it a 1 off payment or do you have to pay every time you go there or bit of both

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

crossfit is class based program, so if you go to a class in most gyms , example kettlebell class, or cross training class, you would be paying between 6-8euro per class... crossfit hosts 7 days a week, so if you go 4 times a week, its actually amazing value..

Its cant really compare like with like... in saying that as the guy above says some people just want a place to go relax or have freedom to go whenever, so it wont suit everyone.. as someone who used gyms all my life, since i started crossfit i never looked back.... by far the best thing I have done results wise..

in sayng that i miss certain things bout normal gym, if i got a gym for 250 or so a year, id take it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

wsopchamp wrote: »
    just outta intrest any one here know how much Waterford Weight Lifting Club is to join and is it a 1 off payment or do you have to pay every time you go there or bit of both
    its €350 up from €200 is a once of joining fee and €150 there after every year as membership fee, i can give ya the name of one of the committee members who will sign ya up if ya want to pm me

Advertisement