Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to separate double glazing glass?

• 04-05-2012 10:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have 6 panes of double glazing. I was thinking of making a mini green house from them. Is it worth my while trying to separate the two panes of glass to get more for my diy greenhouse? Or is it best to leave them as they are for overall strength?

If they are worth separating, whats the best way to do it considering they are well stuck together, and they are filled with argon gas.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭dathi

wd40 spray oil and a Stanley knife. spray the wd40 on the black sealer and it lubricates the stanley blade as you cut the two panes apart. then use a stanley blade to scrape the remaining black sealer of the glass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

dathi wrote: »
    wd40 spray oil and a Stanley knife. spray the wd40 on the black sealer and it lubricates the stanley blade as you cut the two panes apart. then use a stanley blade to scrape the remaining black sealer of the glass.

Sounds like you have done this before. Thanks for info. How successful was it when you attempted it. I presume patience is the name of the game here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

I have used the same method to seperate a broken unit to re use the good laminated glass pane.

I used the used glass to reglaze a broken single glazed window.

Just be aware If it has a safety stamp in the corner it is most likely to be toughened glass which cant be cut to size. Just use as is.

Stove Fan:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

very strong gloves a must, one slip and your like fingers fredie

Advertisement