Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House survey

Options
  • 04-05-2012 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi ive just had my offer accepted on house and contracts have been received by my solicitor?
    At what point do i get the full survey done for the house? before contracts are signed? do i get my solicitor to sort or get estate agent to sort?
    help appreciated

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

rexel21 wrote: »
    Hi ive just had my offer accepted on house and contracts have been received by my solicitor?
    At what point do i get the full survey done for the house? before contracts are signed? do i get my solicitor to sort or get estate agent to sort?
    help appreciated

It is a matter for you. Do not get the estate agent you are buying from to have anything to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Agree 1000%.

You want the survey to be done by an impartial third party who will give you an unbiased assessment of the house & who has nothing to lose or gain financially from the sale going through or not going through. Your solicitor and estate agent do not fall into that category.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

help appreciated

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SIGN CONTRACTS BEFORE YOUR SURVEY IS DONE!!

This would be absolute madness! You sign binding and unconditional contracts & pay 10% of the purchase price to find out after the survey that the property is subsiding or the roof needs to be replaced or the whole house needs re-wiring and if you pull out you've lost that money. You can't even renegotiate to have the price reduced as the seller will just say tough luck, you've signed your contracts, back out if you want but I'm keeping your 10%!

Use a qualified structural surveyor who will give you a comprehensive report on the property. Do not just pick the cheapest cowboy you can find and use someone who you know or has been recommended to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 rexel21

Thanks. Yes i have no plan to sigh contracts before this is done. But at the same time dont want to pay for a survey and the guy to change his mind and then waste money on getting one for no reason!!!! Maybe im just being a little sceptical of the seller......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

OP, getting a survey done is something that every prospective buyer should be doing regardless of his opinion of the seller. You get your survey done. The surveyor either gives the house a clean bill of health or he doesn't. You then decide if you want to proceed with the purchase of the house or not. If the surveyor finds something wrong with the house that will be costly and/or difficult to repair, you can adjust your offer accordingly. The seller can decline or accept your new offer. If he declines the new offer, yes you will be out the cost of the survey, but in the grand scheme of things, being out a few hundred quid is nothing compared to being saddled with a house with subsidance issues or asbestos in the attic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

Thanks. Yes i have no plan to sigh contracts before this is done. But at the same time dont want to pay for a survey and the guy to change his mind and then waste money on getting one for no reason!!!! Maybe im just being a little sceptical of the seller......

The ideal time to get the survey done is once contracts have arrived and your solicitor is happy with them. If you do it before this and there's an issue with the contracts/title and your solicitor advises you to walk away then you've wasted the cost of the survey. Unfortunately even once you've had a survey done and signed the contracts, the seller can still pull out up until contracts are exchanged but that's just the process...Anyone who buys a property is at risk of losing the money spent on the survey for a period of time during the process, that's just the way it works...

Advertisement