Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hot water problem !

• 04-05-2012 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi,

Hope someone can help with this :)

When we have the heating controls set to both rads and water on , then the water cylinder heats up fine. If we switch on just the water on the controls then the burner starts up and runs one cycle, but then doesn't come back on leaving the tank freezing ! We don't really need the rads on much now, so would like to just flick the water on by itself.

The boiler is a Euroflame 70/90 and has recently had a service, but i didn't realise until now, otherwise i would have asked the service guy.

any ideas ? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Not sure if yours is the same but we have a system boiler where it has to be permanently on the rad/water setting but upstairs next to hot press we have a switch that turns off the rads and only heats the hot water when needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

A bit more detail would help.
    Have you room stats, cylinder stat, motoised valves, zoned timer, switches etc, a few pics would be a help.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 shunney

It's quite an old system, but the boiler is pretty new.

There's one ancent looking thermostat in the house and one on top of the boiler, not sure about the cylinder, maybe that's one on the top ? I don't think there's any motorised valves.

It's all activated by that main control panel and no other seperate stats or switches.

That small red tank is at the bottom of the hot press, but it's caged in with wooden lats so that's the best pic i can do without dismanteling it.

Please let me know if you need any more pics or info, thanks

hope this helps

pics of the boiler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

From what I can see, when set on the heating/hot water setting both circuits are being pumped, when hot water is selected it is relying on gravity, which is not working.
    The black yoke on the top of the cylinder is the electric immersion heater and works indepentely of the oil boiler.
    Other than turning off the rads individually I don't see any way of having hot water only.
    It would need an onsite look at your current system to see how automatic or manual controls could be added.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

The small red tank is the diaphragm vessel that maintains the correct system pressure as the water temperature changes, and it has nothing directly to do with whether you are running rads and hot water, or only the latter. From your pics it is difficult to see what the pipe layout around the hot tank is and how it relates to the boiler, but it does look like there are the normal connections to the hot tank coil. These connections are on the side of the hot tank, and it may be that there is a manual valve connecting them. If so, you could try checking that the valve is fully open since if the hot water circuit is gravity as the last poster suggested, it might be closed in enough to inhibit the flow.

If the boiler pump serves both the hot water and rad circuits (as is normal) then the balance valve could be too far open and needs to be closed to get better flow to the coil.

Ok thanks guys, that gives me something to check later :) for now i have the rads off.

Advertisement