Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blues for export

• 04-05-2012 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

Good news for the Belgian Blue breed on the way in the comic (maybe in this weeks as I haven't seen it yet).
    http://www.ibbcs.com/index.html

The section on the centre of the page, Italian feedlots demand Irish Belgian Blues.

What do ye all think? Imo when the Irish factory price falls we will see the rise the blues again as lads look towards the ships. I hope so as we have stuck with the blue.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Seems to me, if blues are depending on one market in particular to keep prices up, they will always be prone to severe price swings, both up and down. Bit chancy in my eyes. Never had a blue, so can't say I know a whole lot about them, so could be talkin rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

Tora Bora wrote: »
    Seems to me, if blues are depending on one market in particular to keep prices up, they will always be prone to severe price swings, both up and down. Bit chancy in my eyes. Never had a blue, so can't say I know a whole lot about them, so could be talkin rubbish.
    the blue market has been the same for as long as i can remember, how can it be chancy,they go on a boat or stay at home and push other cattle prices down if irish price is bad and if irish price is good as it is now we still get great money,the swing in price is more prone to irish quility cattle as we all have seen lately,this year my cattle that are fit for export are making the same money as any other year,but my rubbish is the iceing on the cake ,they have made great money, its a win win for blues as far as i am concerened.when the country is full of cattle the blue will be top dog again.one thing how come the price of beef in italy has not gone up,its still around the 4.20 a kilo or so if there is a shortage of beef.we dont hear the house wife out moaning that she cannot buy it for the family because its gone up in price so much,the middle man was all along taking the 300-400 euro that he now has to give the farmer as extra because farmers are not dumping cattle at them with the tighter numbers,with the increase in numbers coming down the line how come there is no new meat factories opening to cope,when they are full its more profitable to take back the 300-400 euro a head back from the farmer.rant over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

One thing I can say for sure about Blues. Only cross them on good cont cows. If you have a half bred cow, better off with a Char or Lim cross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

pakalasa wrote: »
    One thing I can say for sure about Blues. Only cross them on good cont cows. If you have a half bred cow, better off with a Char or Lim cross.

And if your cows are too good your into trouble too :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

My way of thinking is there is always a market for quality. Good blue cattle are still good if they don't go for export.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

when we were commercial suckling back in the 1990's, the blues were winning the rosettes in the shows, but when we checked the figures, the limousin were leaving the same if not more profit ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

Richk2012 wrote: »
    And if your cows are too good your into trouble too :rolleyes:
    why are you in to trouble.have you something to tell us.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

leg wax wrote: »
    why are you in to trouble.have you something to tell us.:confused:

Crossing the blue on really good continental cows sometimes leads to calving difficulties if not managed properly during the later stages of pregnancy is what i meant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

had a couple of blues this year. Everything else was limo bar one charlaois. Id would be a strong believer in the limo but realistically speaking the blues are making the rest of the calves look bad. I have put a lot more of the cows in calf to blue this year than previous years and really cant fault them bar i wont be keeping anymore blue cows, due to the pelvis issue. i would completly agree with leg wax on the fact that blues actually have a far better chance of getting the high prices they arent just a one trick pony.

Advertisement