Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can dog be PTS for biting another dog???

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

i think you're looking at this far too literally. its obvious to a lot of people on this thread that the warden is bluffing.
    is it just coincidence that he suggested rehoming outside his juristiction? surely rehoming a dog he considers dangerous is leaving himself open for all sorts of actions if the dog did turn aggresive on people. no, it totally sounds like he's bluffing and just wants shot of the dog.

and just on something you said early, there are indeed many wardens that love dogs. but there are a lot that hate them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

i think you're looking at this far too literally. its obvious to a lot of people on this thread that the warden is bluffing.
    is it just coincidence that he suggested rehoming outside his juristiction? surely rehoming a dog he considers dangerous is leaving himself open for all sorts of actions if the dog did turn aggresive on people. no, it totally sounds like he's bluffing and just wants shot of the dog.

and just on something you said early, there are indeed many wardens that love dogs. but there are a lot that hate them too.

If it came across that I feel this matter will defo end up in court that is not what I meant. The OP had a question, I only put before the OP the section of the Act so that the OP's friend is fully informed of the relevant section and possible outcomes. If the OP's friend feels they are in the right then just say so to the warden.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭JayWalsh

Hello,

This thread caught my attention, as i was browsing through boards. This sounds very like an incident that occured to my dog 10 days or so ago.

It is too much to be a coincidence!

My dog (JRT) who was on a lead completely controlled by myself was attcked by a rottweiler . I had my 4 year old and 1 year old with me, going for a walk.
    I came out my back gate and within a minute,this rottweiler had pinned my dog down by the back of the neck and was starting to shake him. I had to first put my sons back in my yard and then i went back out to try and get the rotty off my dog. The owner of the rotty was not present and there was a young girl who was minding her kids and dog ran up and also tried to get the rotty off my dog.
    The rotty then left my dog go and bit him again on the buttocks pinning him to the ground again. The girl was hanging out the rotty's neck trying to pull him off and i was trying to pull my dog from her teeth.

Eventually we broke it up and the girl got the rotty home. I brought my dog to the vet because he had three 1" deep puncture wounds, 1 on his neck, two on his buttock.

This isnt the first occasion this dog has attacked another dog. It has attacked three other dogs on this estate, killing one and badly mauling the other two. It also badly mauled a dog in the wood that is used frequently by dog users.

Im not saying this is the same incident, but it is highly unlikely another incident exactly the same as the one that happened to my dog could happen within 10 days of each other.

Im just wondering could the OP clarify if this incident happened on an estate in Co. Waterford?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭gud4u

JayWalsh wrote: »
    Hello,

It is too much to be a coincidence!

My dog (JRT) who was on a lead completely controlled by myself was attcked by a rottweiler . I had my 4 year old and 1 year old with me, going for a walk.

This isnt the first occasion this dog has attacked another dog. It has attacked three other dogs on this estate, killing one and badly mauling the other two. It also badly mauled a dog in the wood that is used frequently by dog users.

Im not saying this is the same incident, but it is highly unlikely another incident exactly the same as the one that happened to my dog could happen within 10 days of each other.

Im just wondering could the OP clarify if this incident happened on an estate in Co. Waterford?

Sorry to hear about the above, it must have been terrible for all involved.

Regardless of whether these two incidents are related, the dog in your post seriously needs reporting, as it is owned by very careless people. That's if it's owned by anybody, as a Rottie owner, these cases just give even more cause for the RB wagon to be rolled out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭DeeRottie

Hi all, just wanted to fill you in on what is happening, as I appreciate folks taking the time to respond.

But first to JayWalsh, what happened to you sounds just awful! It's not the same incident, as this incident happened on another side of the country, the dog that bit has never killed another dog or mauled 3 others. The dog that was bitten was not on a lead and from what I'm told was a Collie-type dog. No children were present either and I never got to the end of whether that dogs owner was there. Nonetheless I'm actually so disappointed that this has happened twice and I'm sorry it happened to you - I own a Rottie myself (obviously lol) and am naturally defensive of them and any incident of this type does the breed no good, as these are the things that are remembered, rather than how loving and gentle these dogs are in the right hands.

In this case the owner has decided to have the dog rehomed. I have recommended some reputable rescues and also that the rescue must be informed that he has bitten before, as obv want to avoid any more issues with the dog.

• Advertisement

gud4u I agree, at the end of the day all dogs should be in the hands of a responsible owner, but even more so in the case of an RB. If I had my way you'd have to pass an exam to get a dog and earn the licence like you do with cars. But that's another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭JayWalsh

No worries Dee Rottie, I do not blame the dog at all. It was just not reared correctly with any training.
    Anyway my dog (Tank) is fine now!

It is nice to know that it was not the same incident as my dog was under control until the rottie attacked him.

Thanks for reply Dee Rottie.

I know this is off topic but can I just say Tank is the best name for a JRT EVER!!!:D

I hope he's ok now and it hasn't affected him. It's kind of sad in a way that it's not the same story, simply from the point of view that it means the situation was not an isolated occurrence.

I'm a real Rottie fan myself and I hate to see the breed maligned; but at the end of the day unless they can all be guaranteed to be placed with responsible owners this is going to keep happening.

Advertisement