Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Token Meter - Rate 1 / Rate 2

Options
  • 05-05-2012 12:02am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hello,

I have a (domestic) token meter and would be grateful if these questions could be answered..

1). At what time does Rate 1 begin and end? I assume all other times are Rate 2?

2). Are Saturdays/Sundays/Holidays charged at Rate 2 or are they like any other day?

I've looked all over for this information including the ESB website and am surprised I am unable to find anything definitive on it.

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Rate 2 (Day): 0800-2300 GMT (0900-2400 DST).

Rate 1: (Night): 2300-0800 GMT (0900-2400 DST).

Applicable throughout the year in the case of the meter you're talking about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭malachy47

Rate 2 (Day): 0800-2300 GMT (0900-2400 DST).

Rate 1: (Night): 2300-0800 GMT (0900-2400 DST).

Applicable throughout the year in the case of the meter you're talking about.

I think you're thinking of another meter. Rate 2 on my meter is evening/nights, Rate 1 is daytime.

What I was really hoping to figure out is if there is a standard discounted rate at weekends, as there is at night.

So while I was at it, I thought I may as well ask for hours as well. I think it should be part of te FAQ.

No, rate two is day, rate one night.

The domestic tariff structure doesn't (yet) encompass weekend differentials.

Bear in mind, your conventional meter remains, and is the one used for billing, even though the budget controller meters can provide usage information as well.

I'm surprised this isn't readily available on the site-perhaps one of the reps will address that point next week.

ETA: you are talking about the conventional black token meter, yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi malachy47,
    malachy47 wrote:
    I've looked all over for this information including the ESB website and am surprised I am unable to find anything definitive on it.

I'm happy to say that all of the information provided above by RoundyMooney is spot on. Looks like I could be out of a job! :)

As explained here on our website, on all ESB meters rate I refers to night, and rate II refers to day. You would need be on a nightsaver tariff/priceplan in order for the different rates associated with day and night to become active. The rates and effective hours are outlined here (click the "More Details" section of the tariff/priceplan which applies to you).
    malachy47 wrote:
    Rate 2 on my meter is evening/nights, Rate 1 is daytime.

Regarding the token meter specifically (a device installed in addition to the ESB Meter - it will never replace the latter), I would need to have a look at your account to ensure we are talking about the same device. Was this already installed at the property before you moved in, or did your supplier (I'm assuming this is Electric Ireland) install it for you? We would only install these meters as a last resort for customers in difficulty, e.g. with heavy arrears.
    malachy47 wrote:
    So while I was at it, I thought I may as well ask for hours as well. I think it should be part of te FAQ.

I will be revising and adding to the FAQ thread shortly - I appreciate the feedback. In the meantime, this FAQ addresses the hours and rates of the Nightsaver meter.

Thanks,

David.

Well therein lies my confusion. This is a prepay meter as unbeknownst to me I was still being billed for my last apartment despite not living there. That's another story, but the result is I now have a prepay meter in my current apartment and part of my token payments go towards paying off the old bill.

During the day the LCD displays "R1" and during the evenings (after 6pm I think) it changes to "R2". You can imagine why I'm confused now that I'm being informed that the reverse should be true.

What should it display and on what times and days? Is my meter setup incorrectly? Is R1 the economy or regular rate?

• Advertisement

Can you post a pic of the meter, Malachy, and we can put this to bed?

TIA.

It's the device on the lower right. R1 by day. R2 in evenings. It didn't come with a manual or any info as to what time of day it changes from one to the other, or if weekends/holidays are a different schedule. There is some information on the ESB website but nothing I've found which directly speaks to these issues. Also, what is the % price differential between R1 and R2?
    rxss9.jpg

Could it be that R1 and Rate 1 are two different things depending on the meter in question? If so, a lot of advice given needs to be more specific and mention the type of meter in question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Malachy,

It appears to be a standard token meter. If you are an Electric Ireland customer, we could have a look at any history of it if you private message me your details: account number, name/address/telephone number on the account, and if you confirm that you are the named account-holder.

Regards,
    Una

Ah, thanks Malachy.

Now that I think of it, I think those meters actually have a more logical readout (1:Day, 2:Night). The time on the meter may vary slightly, but the weekly draw down on the debt remains unaltered and the ongoing cost tends to balance out, so for dual tarriff customers reading this, I wouldn't be overly concerned about it.

Post #2 applies; but doesn't apply to you, as you have a single tarriff account. The unit cost is flat throughout, so you have no differential in charges, depending on what time it is.

Advertisement