Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours cat fouling my garden.

• 05-05-2012 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Anyone know the best way of keeping my neighbors cat out of my garden? Its just a small lawn with walls on three sides and paving between the house and lawn. I've tried cat repellent which works but was costing me €10 a week. I got an electronic ultrasonic device for €40 which worked for about 2½ weeks (it still works but no longer scares the cats).

I don't want to put a litter tray in my garden so any suggestions?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Get a bag of lion doodoo from the zoo. Spread it liberally along the boundary; no more kitty poo on the lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭tahina

mathepac wrote: »
    Get a bag of lion doodoo from the zoo. Spread it liberally along the boundary; no more kitty poo on the lawn.

Ingenius
    =D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭TehDagsBass

Do as we did: get your own cat to poo in their garden :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

tahina wrote: »
    Poision =P joke joke

'Jokes' about suggesting acts of cruelty to animals don't go down to well around here. I suggest you fully familiarise yourself with the forum rules in the stickies at the top of the main page

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭tahina

tahina wrote: »
    Poision =P joke joke

'Jokes' about suggesting acts of cruelty to animals don't go down to well around here. I suggest you fully familiarise yourself with the forum rules in the stickies at the top of the main page

Im really sorry guys for offending ye and have removed the comment. I will read the stickies now =]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Anyone know the best way of keeping my neighbors cat out of my garden? Its just a small lawn with walls on three sides and paving between the house and lawn. I've tried cat repellent which works but was costing me €10 a week. I got an electronic ultrasonic device for €40 which worked for about 2½ weeks (it still works but no longer scares the cats).

I don't want to put a litter tray in my garden so any suggestions?

Litter tray is cheap and easy.. cats are cats.

Do as we did: get your own cat to poo in their garden :)

Ah great.. so their cat uses your garden and your cat uses theirs.. no one is happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

06.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Seriously OP, 1 cat? How bad can it be? And they bury it, it's not like a dog coming in an doing his dos all over the lawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

I have this problem with 1 fat cat. the poos it leaves sitting on the grass are bigger than my own, they are really quite impressive for such a small animal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

mathepac wrote: »

Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

kwalshe wrote: »
    I have this problem with 1 fat cat. the poos it leaves sitting on the grass are bigger than my own, they are really quite impressive for such a small animal

Brilliant +1

This may be quite immature of me but these two comments have kept me laughing for the last ten minutes. It's just one of those nights.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

get some air fresheners and put them oustide...(near to where the pooing commences) anytime you see the little fecker yourself give him/her a spray with a squirt gun or plant spray he wont come back again after that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

OP, I would suggest knocking on the cat owner's door each & every time you catch the cat in your garden - no matter what time of day/night it is. As the owner of the pet, it is their responsibility (much like it is for a dog), and they are personally responsible for any damage it causes.

As someone who is trying (ceaslessly & hopelessly) to train our cat not to jump on the counters or the dining room table, I know you will never be able to keep the cat off your property if that is where it wants to go. Holding the owners responsible and insisting they clean it up is the only hope you have of the cat not getting out & fouling your garden again. Imagine - if it was a dog doing it the warden would be called - why should it be any different for a cat?

Baralis1 wrote: »
    Brilliant +1

This may be quite immature of me but these two comments have kept me laughing for the last ten minutes. It's just one of those nights.

Not at all immature! Some situations have to be laughed at, or wept at. Used to be a book called " Don't sweat the small stuff.." opps, no comment meant on the size here! ;)

Ayla wrote: »
    OP, I would suggest knocking on the cat owner's door each & every time you catch the cat in your garden - no matter what time of day/night it is. As the owner of the pet, it is their responsibility (much like it is for a dog), and they are personally responsible for any damage it causes.

As someone who is trying (ceaslessly & hopelessly) to train our cat not to jump on the counters or the dining room table, I know you will never be able to keep the cat off your property if that is where it wants to go. Holding the owners responsible and insisting they clean it up is the only hope you have of the cat not getting out & fouling your garden again. Imagine - if it was a dog doing it the warden would be called - why should it be any different for a cat?

Poor cats...

Wonder what you do re bird droppings? Used to live where we were "ordered" not to feed the birds for that very reason.

My landlord;s cattle got into my garden last year.. Imagine!

It is only dirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

I was responding to the OP - clearly he thinks it important enough & is bothered enough about it to be seeking advice, so I thought that - if I were in his shoes (ie: also bothered about it) that is what I would do.

And, Graces7, you have no idea if it's just dirt - for all you know, the OP could have a full garden in there from which he takes his own fruit/veg, and having fresh cat urine and feces is actually harmful for the plants & harvest.

Don't be so quick to judge :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

I had this problem, I squirted the cat with water... I just got a two litre bottle and put a hole in the lid...

Guess a super soaker would do the job as another poster suggested.

If you have a nice garden you don't want cat **** all over the place OP is perfectly justified to be annoyed.

I'd complain to the owner too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Graces7 wrote: »
    Wonder what you do re bird droppings?

It is only dirt.

I really wish people would stop comparing pet cats to wildlife. They're not wildlife, they belong to someone, so the OP is perfectly within their rights to expect someone elses pet not to use their garden as a toilet. Personally I'd be flinging it back over their wall but then I've gone down the 'have a chat to the cat's owner' route and I've yet to meet a reasonable cat owner local to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

Personally I'd be flinging it back over their wall but then I've gone down the 'have a chat to the cat's owner' route and I've yet to meet a reasonable cat owner local to me.

I get the annoyance seeing some elses cat crap in your garden...I saw my neighbours cat do that on our property today(I tapped the window and he ran off mid-poop, dont tell ISPCA ;) ). But I fail to see what the owner could do even if they try to respond positively to news that their cat has fertilized a pedantic neighbours flowerbed.

Its a cat. Just hope it doesnt start leaving dead birds and mice at your door as a thank you for supplying toilet facilites!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

What they can do is keep THEIR pet in THEIR garden like every other pet species. There are loads of cat enclosure and cat fence products on the market

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Ayla wrote: »
    OP, I would suggest knocking on the cat owner's door each & every time you catch the cat in your garden - no matter what time of day/night it is.

Hmmm.. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,270 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Ever wonder how A Catapult got it's name? Think about it. Works for me!

<Banned>

• Registered Users Posts: 7 john4592

there doesnt seem to be a definitive answer despite all the replies and comments!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I've suggested this in another thread: I've no idea if it will work, but I have noticed that all of our cats are scared of the sound tinfoil makes, to the point of immediately abandoning their food and running out of the room to hide when they hear me just unrolling a little bit of it.
    You could try to tie little strips of it on a tree or something in such a way that the wind can easily move it a bit.
    Again, I'm not sure it will work, but it might be worth a try. If it doesn't work, at least you haven't wasted any time or effort on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭James Jones

Graces7 wrote: »
    Poor cats...
    It is only dirt.
    I suppose I should be more casual about dirt that gave me ringworm.

I had this problem, I squirted the cat with water... I just got a two litre bottle and put a hole in the lid...
    Guess a super soaker would do the job as another poster suggested.
    If you have a nice garden you don't want cat **** all over the place OP is perfectly justified to be annoyed.

I'd complain to the owner too.
    I work nights so don't have a constant presence in the house but thanks for the idea.
    I have complained to the owners who now provide a litter in their own garden but a stray has now taken to using the facility. It seems he now sees it as HIS territory as the others have left.
    I tried putting down a wire mesh over where they have pooed but he still l does it on the mesh, even though he can't cover it. Another smaller cat now also poos where the first cats poos so I am going to try Jeyes Fluid. I'm told it stings their feet and they hate the smell so I'm gonna cover the walls and paths to see if it works. I've been told in takes six weeks for a cat to give up on territory so here's hoping.

darlett wrote: »
    But I fail to see what the owner could do even if they try to respond positively to news that their cat has fertilized a pedantic neighbours flowerbed.

Its a cat. Just hope it doesnt start leaving dead birds and mice at your door as a thank you for supplying toilet facilites!
    They need to look after their cats! Having a problem with a big lump of **** in my small garden is a bigger deal to me than disposing of their mice and shrews. By the way, these are large lumps and not just little sprays so I don't think I'm being pedantic. And its on the lawn, not buried in a flower bed. Even a cat lover would be disgusted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Sorry but I'm almost certain you can't contract ringworm from faeces. It is a fungal infection that's usually caught from close contact, rubbing or sharing beddings. So if that cat had ringworm, you probably touched something it had touched off, or maybe contracted it somewhere else. But I can nearly guarantee you didn't get it from contact with faeces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

As a cat owner I can tell you that cats hate citrus smells. The best thing to do is put some orange or lemon halves in the area that the cat is using as a loo, or alternatively, squeeze a bit of lemon or orange juice around the area. Cheap and harmless solution and you won't be branded as a sociopath for harming animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭James Jones

But I can nearly guarantee you didn't get it from contact with faeces.

I got the ringworm from the cat coming into my garden so I now want to dissuade them for two reasons.

As a cat owner I can tell you that cats hate citrus smells. The best thing to do is put some orange or lemon halves in the area that the cat is using as a loo, or alternatively, squeeze a bit of lemon or orange juice around the area. Cheap and harmless solution and you won't be branded as a sociopath for harming animals.
    Thanks but tried and failed already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I got the ringworm from the cat coming into my garden so I now want to dissuade them for two reasons.

Thanks but tried and failed already.

I think it'll have to be the waterblaster then. I know its frustrating.

Advertisement