Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours cat fouling my garden.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

You could try pee-ing around the territory yourself - the cats wont like the testosterone in your pee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Or natead of covering your trees in tinfoil, rubbing oranges on your wall, putting grates in your garden and driving to the shop to buy jeays fluid & squirting it where they ****, along with borrowing a lion from the zoo you could knock knntheir door and demand that they start compensating you for your time for organising & doing these things or take responsibility for their pet.

Or better still, fence it in.

Are they renting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

I moved my cat indoors, as soon s I done this the neighbours cat started coming in, much to the annoyance of the dog, who only likes our cat!! To stop him coming in I put my cats used litter around the boundaries of the garden, he stopped coming in straight away.

In saying that my cat is an aggressive little s**t and the male cat coming into the garden was in one or two fights with him before, so smelling his marking was enough to stop him coming in. Not sure if you know anyone with an angry male cat and litter to dispose of?? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

kwalshe wrote: »
    I have this problem with 1 fat cat. the poos it leaves sitting on the grass are bigger than my own, they are really quite impressive for such a small animal
    Hey Ted, maybe my lion escaped from the zoo and is living in kwalshes's garden! Isn't that gas Ted. Or maybe it's Father Jack, Ted, he's missing too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

You could try one of the ultra sonic animal deterrants in Argos . They are battery powered and let out a screech when motion is detected that the animals hate. Humans can't hear it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Seriously OP, 1 cat? How bad can it be? And they bury it, it's not like a dog coming in an doing his dos all over the lawn.

This is complete nonsense. Cats do not bury their faeces. They kick a light layer of dirt over it making you even more likely to be stepped on, or handled by gardeners, as it's not as immediately obvious. It's so ignorant to just assume your animal can wonder off and defecate on someone else's property and that it's only one cat so they should get over it. It's disgusting and the OP should not have to tolerate it. Cat faeces is extremely dangerous as it can contain toxoplasmosis which can cause blindness, moderate to severe brain damage and death to unborn animals and humans.

OP how big is your garden? Maybe a sprinkler with a motion sensor would work. They aren't cheap, though sometimes they come up on ebay for less. http://www.deteracat.co.uk/scarecrow_water_jet_pack.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Sweenball

Large Clear plastic bottles filled with water placed around your garden will keep them away.Seriously it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Sweenball wrote: »
    Large Clear plastic bottles filled with water placed around your garden will keep them away.Seriously it works.

Yes this works or sow garlic, cat's hate garlic.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭James Jones

You could try one of the ultra sonic animal deterrants in Argos . They are battery powered and let out a screech when motion is detected that the animals hate. Humans can't hear it .
    I had one but it was extremely hard on batteries and when the battery got low, the sound became constant and audible to humans. The cat realised it was a fake and it stopped scaring him.
    iguana wrote: »
    This is complete nonsense. Cats do not bury their faeces. They kick a light layer of dirt over it making you even more likely to be stepped on, or handled by gardeners, as it's not as immediately obvious.
    This cat doesn't even attempt to bury it. He just leaves a big turd in the middle of my lawn.
    OP how big is your garden? Maybe a sprinkler with a motion sensor would work. They aren't cheap, though sometimes they come up on ebay for less. http://www.deteracat.co.uk/scarecrow_water_jet_pack.htm
    This might work but I've since been advised that they HATE Jeyes fluid so I've painted the top of my walls with full strength and watered all the paths, paving and walls with dilute. The garden smells like a swimming pool but I've been told that the full strength stings there little paws and the smell will put them off in the future, so I'll keep using the dilute every so often.
    If THAT doesn't work, I'll try the sprinkler.
    Afraid not! I tried it but I've since been told that it will only work for a cat that comes in occasionally and you need to leave your light on at night to create a scary reflection. If a cat sees them during the day he will know exactly what they are at night.

This cat might be a filthy disgusting excuse for a pet but he 's definitely not dumb!!!

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. I'll let you know if the Jeyes fluid works. I've been told it takes 42 days for a cat to accept that what he thought was his territory is no longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Graces7 wrote: »
    It is only dirt.

On a farm maybe, in a residential housing estate it's a serious health problem with child blindness top of the list of dangers.

• Advertisement

Or natead of covering your trees in tinfoil, rubbing oranges on your wall, putting grates in your garden and driving to the shop to buy jeays fluid & squirting it where they ****, along with borrowing a lion from the zoo you could knock knntheir door and demand that they start compensating you for your time for organising & doing these things or take responsibility for their pet.

Or better still, fence it in.

Are they renting?

It seems that they have a litter in their own back yard now but another stray started using my garden. They are the owners so no landlord to complain to. A fence won't stop cats.
    I had one but it was extremely hard on batteries and when the battery got low, the sound became constant and audible to humans. The cat realised it was a fake and it stopped scaring him.
    This is complete nonsense. Cats do not bury their faeces. They kick a light layer of dirt over it making you even more likely to be stepped on, or handled by gardeners, as it's not as immediately obvious.
    This cat doesn't even attempt to bury it. He just leaves a big turd in the middle of my lawn.
    This might work but I've since been advised that they HATE Jeyes fluid so I've painted the top of my walls with full strength and watered all the paths, paving and walls with dilute. The garden smells like a swimming pool but I've been told that the full strength stings there little paws and the smell will put them off in the future, so I'll keep using the dilute every so often.
    Afraid not! I tried it but I've since been told that it will only work for a cat that comes in occasionally and you need to leave your light on at night to create a scary reflection. If a cat sees them during the day he will know exactly what they are at night.

This cat might be a filthy disgusting excuse for a pet but he 's definitely not dumb!!!

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. I'll let you know if the Jeyes fluid works. I've been told it takes 42 days for a cat to accept that what he thought was his territory is no longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Iospir

RubyGirl wrote: »
    Yes this works or sow garlic, cat's hate garlic.

We've the same problem and there's wild garlic growing all round our garden. Next door's cat seems to be actually attracted to it. Tried all the above solutions, none worked. Found the cat actually playing with the water bottle :-)
    Looks like the watergun is the only solution but of course that only works when you're actually there and the neighbour might not be impressed. Might be the hint they need though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

If you find the Jeyes fluid works one thing to remember is that it will dilute every time it rains, so stay aware of how it smells after rainshowers and top it up regularly if you are having the type of weather that most of the country is currently experiencing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

OP - I think you're doing every honourable thing possible, but all I can think is "why should you have to bother?"

That cat is not your responsibility, but you have spent an awful lot of time, effort & money trying to make up for the fact that the cat's owners are completely irresponsible.

This is the other side of the coin from the other "my cat is a bully" thread going on. Most posters there are suggesting that the cat should be contained inside by the owner - I wouldn't think it irrational that you should expect the same from your neighbor.

Drastic - yes, but if the neighbors weren't willing to take steps to keep their animal off your property then you are fully entitled to make some phone calls.

If you find the Jeyes fluid works one thing to remember is that it will dilute every time it rains, so stay aware of how it smells after rainshowers and top it up regularly if you are having the type of weather that most of the country is currently experiencing.
    Yea, I'll have to do that for a few weeks, I'm told.

Ayla wrote: »
    if the neighbors weren't willing to take steps to keep their animal off your property then you are fully entitled to make some phone calls.
    The problem is that the neighbours cat seems to be staying in their own garden now that a litter tray was installed but a different(possibly stray) cat has started using my garden because of the smell of the original cats. I hope to Jeyes the fluid works:D

The problem is that the neighbours cat seems to be staying in their own garden now that a litter tray was installed but a different(possibly stray) cat has started using my garden because of the smell of the original cats. I hope to Jeyes the fluid works:D

The stray was probably staying out of your garden while the neighbours cat was there (they may have fought before), ask your neighbour if you can have his used litter and put it around the edge of the garden. The stray will think your neighbours cat still goes in, might stop him coming in.

sambuka41 wrote: »
    The stray was probably staying out of your garden while the neighbours cat was there (they may have fought before), ask your neighbour if you can have his used litter and put it around the edge of the garden. The stray will think your neighbours cat still goes in, might stop him coming in.
    It seems they've fought before and the neighbours cat came off the worst so the stray seems to have taken over my garden. Also, I want to get rid of cat poo, not have more!:confused:

It seems they've fought before and the neighbours cat came off the worst so the stray seems to have taken over my garden. Also, I want to get rid of cat poo, not have more!:confused:

Sorry I should have been specific, the litter that he has pissed on!! :p It worked wonders to keep the neighbours cats out of my garden,just put a small amount long the boundary. Its unusual that the stray is only coming in now. He may have won a fight before but was reluctant to get into it again, but now its a free space.

Well, the Jeyes fluid didn't work:(

The wire mesh over the grass didn't work. :(

Came home yesterday to a garden smelling like a chemical factory to find a big dump right in the middle of the wire mesh!!! Its like he's saying to me "I'll crap wherever I want, mate,:p".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭daltonmd

Came home yesterday to a garden smelling like a chemical factory to find a big dump right in the middle of the wire mesh!!! Its like he's saying to me "I'll crap wherever I want, mate,:p".

Sorry if this has been advised alreay - but ground coffee beans (after you have had your coffee obviously lol) spread around and/or orange and lemon peel. Works for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

i wouldnt take it personally

orange peel, pepper, lemon, cats hate

also theres a product called 'silent roar' which is basically lion manure...has mixed reviews though you'd probably be better just getting some from the zoo and trying that

daltonmd wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been advised alreay - but ground coffee beans (after you have had your coffee obviously lol) spread around and/or orange and lemon peel. Works for me.
    The orange peel didn't work and I don't drink coffee so I'll try the lemon and see if I can source some ground used beans. Thanks.
    lolo62 wrote: »
    i wouldnt take it personally
    Last week when my girlfriend saw me picking up the cat turd (with a plastic bag on my hand!) she refused to eat a meal I prepared, or engage with me on a physical level either so I'm afraid it has become a bit personal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭daltonmd

The orange peel didn't work and I don't drink coffee so I'll try the lemon and see if I can source some ground used beans. Thanks.

Last week when my girlfriend saw me picking up the cat turd (with a plastic bag on my hand!) she refused to eat a meal I prepared, or engage with me on a physical level either so I'm afraid it has become a bit personal.

Gosh you have a tough nut to crack. Have you spoken to the owners? You see I have two cats, they are in 90% of the time and only use my garden for the other 10% to play and toilet. If I'm going out, they are in - and if they do venture out when I am in they circle my property.
    The owners let the cat out and seem content with that - however:

You need to look at it in this context - if it was a neighbours dog defacating in your garden everyday, would this be more acceptable?

You are being far too nice. Just because other people would accept this - does not mean you are wrong not to. Knock into the neighbour, explain your problem and try to come to a solution together - like them keeping the ****t* cat on their property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

if my other half didnt want to touch me or eat my food i would take that personally also but what i meant was dont take it personal that the cat is poo-ing on your lawn...he/she is not doing it just to piss you off

i think if you can seperate those thoughts from the general frustration and annoyance of the situation it wont drive you mad

saying that id be pissed off too and i am a cat owner...i think you are perfectly within your rights to go back to your neighbour and let them know that their first attempt at solving the problem hasnt worked

youre taking the whole thing on board yourself and pulling your hair out when they might be happy to work out a solution...

and even if they do give you attitude it doesnt mean youre in the wrong...just keep coming back to the point that their cat s******g on your property is unacceptable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Wait, you said that the cat that comes into your garden now is a stray?

You should ring the pound and let them know, they will take the cat away next time he comes by and if not, I'm sure the fact he is going to be captured may stop him from revisiting in the future.

If not, take a look at the PestShield Move It Cat & Dog Repellent. It's supposed to work wonders. Link Here

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Motion-sensor water sprinklers. Water your garden and deter neighbourhood cats at the same time; it doesn't harm the pussencat, but is aversive

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Contech-ScareCrow-Motion-Activated-Deterrent/dp/B005MW9VOM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340743612&sr=8-1

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Salt001

Sorry about your garden but the above gave me a great laugh :D.
    The stray is probably keeping other cats out of your garden,they have their own territories. If you get rid of the stray you might end up with another kitty or two.

Advertisement