Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malicious - PSN

Options
  • 05-05-2012 12:24am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I heard warning a huge podcast rave about this game for a while but only noticed today that it's made it's way from the japanese PSN to the EU one. It's basically a boss rush game where you choose a boss to take on and gain extra abilities once you finish him off ala Megaman. Seems like a lot of fun so far. The visuals and music are absolutely stunning, bringing to mind El Shaddai.

Pretty damn good value for 7.99 if you as me:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Japs are mental - without your explanation I'd be lost as to what that is

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

very fun game, amazingly polished for the price it is, really looks nice, I'd love to see them do a longer action RPG in this style too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah I'm amazed at how polished it is, it looks far better than the vast majority of full price games out there. It's like the developers put it out there to show what they could do hoping that a publisher would fund them to expand it into a full game. I really hope they get the opportunity because going by this they certainly have the talent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Not a big fan of this one after two bosses. I do like the way the character moves, especially with the two extra skills I've unlocked: a real sense of speed and grace (plus, sextuple jump FTW). But while the game does look reasonably polished for a PSN release (nowhere near as nice looking as El Shaddai, mind, barring the hub world / menu sections), it's not polished enough in execution. The camera is godawful, which is unforgivable for a game that moves so briskly. In one level I fell off the side of the building and was able to finish the boss by just shooting him while floating on an invisible platform or something. Couldn't tell if it was a glitch or intentional. Odd in either case.

The bosses themselves feel like damage sponges / slowly decreasing health-bars and the respawning grunts feel like something from Dynasty Warriors: overall, the combat lacks any convincing feedback and feels relatively clunky and inexact. There are times when it threatens to become much more interesting, and the odd moment when the combat does actually work to surprising effect (when you start combo building). But overall it feels like a decent concept / tech demo desperately calling out for the resources necessary to achieve its potential. Will see it through to see if it becomes more graceful with the other unlocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

It looks like it runs on a Kingdom Hearts engine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement