Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TITANIC 1250 SCALE

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

Really well built OP. Personally I couldn't spend 5 months building any model - it's hard to find the time and patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KENDEE

I know and I have 4 boys .What I meant was models in general no matter how big or small u know pal.iv still a bit to do on it but I'm nearly there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

how much did somthing like that cost , id love to get into building models

kit cost 360 I think I had it a while .and Iv been building models from plastic kit kits to wooden ones for years so I have most of the raw materials at hand when I'm building like plastic card and wood strips so it's hard to estimate what I put in .see this is done over time so you pick bits and peaces up over time so u don't leave ursleff broke u know .if somebody is building a model my edvice is keep it simple .I'm a sucker for detail so I over complicate it for myself with in turn takes time and patience .but I find it therapeutic your building it for yourself and enjoyment so wats the rush I say even if it takes weeks months years .so you can spread the cost.

I'd love to be able to purchase a 1/72 USS Nimitz or any warship in 1/72, as pretty much all my models (mostly aircraft) are in that scale. But two things: no such size kits exist, at least I don't think they do, and secondly it would cost beyond thousands. I had my eye on this kit which actually looks quite good though: http://www.caswellplating.com/rc-modeling/submarine-models/the-trumpeter-uss-seawolf-submarine-1-144.html It works, uses actual ballast tanks for diving like a normal submarine, and is also a self-assembly kit. Might get this one day if I can save enough.

• Advertisement

revell do a flower class corvette and u boats in 172nd iv built them before they make nice large models .if ya want large scale you could look at rc kits and just build them static.

Is it mainly model ships you make?

If you live in or near Dublin ''Marks Models'' on Hawkings St. is a very good place and has a wide selection of almost every type of model. I've been purchasing most of my models there for the past 6 years and they've never let me down once. Really nice, helpful staff as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 joesdios

Great work Kendee looks brilliant I have a similar problem as you have with your kids only mines a wife ha ha keep on modeling !

More pics lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Really really gorgeous build man, well done! Can you give us any details on the lighting system you used? If it's custom, sure give us the specs anyway...

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    Really really gorgeous build man, well done! Can you give us any details on the lighting system you used? If it's custom, sure give us the specs anyway...

no probs it's called fibre wire LEDs it's a strips of LEDs that's used on widow display and found this after a while beleave me .it works on a 12 volt transformer and has very low heat even if left on for a while so makes it perfect for models even plastic one,s .it is expensive doe 100 a roll but depending on size u should get a couple of models out of it I also used a couple of stands of fibre optic with a higher light out put for the brige and masts I made a simple jig out of wood and rod and ran the power off the same lights thats power the others .I got this stuff of fibre wire lighting in kimmage the lads there where great and full of advice so with some soldering skills anybody can do this it's also cheaper than doing individual LEDs that would have wires every where .hope this helps !il post a pic?

KENDEE wrote: »
    it's also cheaper than doing individual LEDs that would have wires every where .hope this helps !il post a pic?

Yeah I was thinking it must be very messy wiring, with the amount of lights - but that solution sounds much better. Please do post some pics of the electronics, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭SLIM19198

no probs it's called fibre wire LEDs it's a strips of LEDs that's used on widow display and found this after a while beleave me .it works on a 12 volt transformer and has very low heat even if left on for a while so makes it perfect for models even plastic one,s .it is expensive doe 100 a roll but depending on size u should get a couple of models out of it I also used a couple of stands of fibre optic with a higher light out put for the brige and masts I made a simple jig out of wood and rod and ran the power off the same lights thats power the others .I got this stuff of fibre wire lighting in kimmage the lads there where great and full of advice so with some soldering skills anybody can do this it's also cheaper than doing individual LEDs that would have wires every where .hope this helps !il post a pic?

Would this not do???

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/504-led-soft-flexible-cuttable-led-light-strip-12v-white-3422?item=7

very similar to what I used good man ??and it has a adisive back so I cut 4 strips a meter each one on each side and two pointing up .I cut out holes in the ribs and fed it trew and wired it all back to the centre and drilled a hole for the power and hid it in one of the blocks the ships sitting on.once all the windowS and ports are drilled out the light shines trew lovely .a lot of cutting and drilling but worth it as it brings the model to life especially in a dim lit room.

very similar to what I used good man ??and it has a adisive back so I cut 4 strips a meter each one on each side and two pointing up .I cut out holes in the ribs and fed it trew and wired it all back to the centre and drilled a hole for the power and hid it in one of the blocks the ships sitting on.once all the windowS and ports are drilled out the light shines trew lovely .a lot of cutting and drilling but worth it as it brings the model to life especially in a dim lit room.

oh yea while im on this I got a soft light .if it's too bright it will shine trew the wood deck so don't buy unless you check some of this stuff is like really bright .but it does save on wireing .

How did you get some yelowish light, beside white light? Are some of the porthole windows stained yellow to give that effect?

How did you get some yelowish light, beside white light? Are some of the porthole windows stained yellow to give that effect?

no I used stuff called glue and glaze I got in marks models it basically windows in a bottle and dries clear .with the distortion of that and the light hitting off the wood inside it naturally turn out that way pal.

no I used stuff called glue and glaze I got in marks models it basically windows in a bottle and dries clear .with the distortion of that and the light hitting off the wood inside it naturally turn out that way pal.

So it's something you apply & it sets? Cool, when your applying it though, how do you keep glass flat to a hull for example, do you let it set & file it flat or is there another method?

So it's something you apply & it sets? Cool, when your applying it though, how do you keep glass flat to a hull for example, do you let it set & file it flat or is there another method?

this stuff is like White glue wen u drop it in a porthole for example leave it.then it will dry clear if your doing a larger square window drag it with a tooth pick across til it leaves a film then let it dry .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

:) Very nice Kendee and thanks for the PM. Can I ask if the railings/cabins/lifeboats etc are plastic.?
    Think I'd substitute copper wire or similar but I'm new to model making.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Great job,well done.

recipio wrote: »
    :) Very nice Kendee and thanks for the PM. Can I ask if the railings/cabins/lifeboats etc are plastic.?
    Think I'd substitute copper wire or similar but I'm new to model making.

the railings are photo etch brass and are very realistic for the scale .the life boats are plastic and are crisp with not fileing needed I did make the covers out of milliput so no one looks the same .

Advertisement