Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird sound periodically coming from PC!

Options
  • 05-05-2012 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭

So, might not be the place, but I built my PC a few months back with advice from here, and I'm kinda just curious at this stage..
    it's sorta been making this odd whirring noise..it only happens sometimes, maybe when I wake the PC up from sleep, or at certian intervals..and then it's fine.

Here's a link http://soundcloud.com/shlippery/voice0003m (volumes faint, recorded it on phone, but you can hear it if you turn your speakers up REALLY loud. (Sorry.)

I think it's my PSU but i'm not sure what'd cause that sound..the pc works fine, no issues, but the noise can be quite annoying...and I fear it could be "not great" for the pc in the long run!

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I'm on my phone so I cant hear it, but the description sounds like the HDD spinning up? or maybe a loud fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Seems like some kind of vibratory resonance, have it in one of my computers where there's interference between two fans. Is everything tight? Dry damping components in turn when it's on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

No, i doubt its either of those (@Tea Bag), it's more of a whirring "grindy" noise...it's been driving me insane, it's clear enough in the soundcloud thing, just needs the volume boosted.

I'm sure it's something simple..but its come to the stage where I feel like I should get some some help to see if anyone can relate to the sound!

At this point in time everythings normal, it's quiet as a mouse. Running soundly. Little HDD noise..

(this was the build at the time, almost a year ago!)

edit: sorry, only after seeing your post TheChizler, could you elaborate on that last sentence? simpler terms? :o

Maybe it's a matter of tightening things up...

Sounds almost like someone shaking a pebble in a can, does it sound like something physical knocking in person?

Shlippery wrote: »
    No, i doubt its either of those (@Tea Bag), it's more of a whirring "grindy" noise...it's been driving me insane, it's clear enough in the soundcloud thing, just needs the volume boosted.

I'm sure it's something simple..but its come to the stage where I feel like I should get some some help to see if anyone can relate to the sound!

At this point in time everythings normal, it's quiet as a mouse. Running soundly. Little HDD noise..

(this was the build at the time, almost a year ago!)

edit: sorry, only after seeing your post TheChizler, could you elaborate on that last sentence? simpler terms? :o

Maybe it's a matter of tightening things up...

Sorry, that's the engineer in me! :rolleyes: Pressing something soft up against components with moving parts to see if it quietens them. Could just be something loose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

is there a disc in the disc drive?

No disc. First thing I checked! I reckon something needs tightening. Sound stopped when I put pressure on top of the case...will open it up and give it another once over. Cheers:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

It soumds like a fan to me...
    or something loose in the case...could even be a cable thats close to a fan thats vibrating....

Get your tools out and tweak everthing up and check your cables...

if you have any of those rubber fan connectors give them a go..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Stick a pencil in each fan in turn, stop them spinning, see what stops the noise. If nothing does, then it's something else - maybe a hard drive or something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Id suspect the Samsung Spinpoint drive. They're nothing but a problem. Me, my friends, and at least 1 guy in my class have had a lot of issues with this drive. Mine was making strange slightly similar to that. Useless drive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I've owned/used seven Spinpoints. They're all still working perfectly after three-five years use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Sounds like there is a cable inside dangling into a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

It sounds mechanical.... The fact that it only happens periodically points towards temperature controlled fans. Maybe the bearings are gone or it's out of balance. The issue would only become apparent at higher speeds. Not sure if something rubbing off the blades of a fan would be unnoticeable at lower speeds. I'd check that as anyway however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

It seems that thread of the day is titled "healthcare issues" but when clicked this thread pops up! Weird. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

We got thread of the day, by proxy? Woo :cool:

How in the name of God is thread of the day picked? I wish it was more exciting now...sorry lads!

Advertisement