Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Disabilitites, Extra Exam Time

Options
  • 05-05-2012 2:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

I'm just wondering does the college recognise carpal tunnel syndrome as a disability warranting extra examination time?

I haven't actually seen a doctor about it yet but for months I've been suffering bad nerve pain down my left arm after a chest injury, and with it I've developed a completely numb stiff and spasming thumb which makes holding a pen and writing extremely difficult, with nerve shoots to my wrist and sometimes right up my arm. I haven't a hope of being able to get exams in a couple weeks finished in enough time. I suspect carpal tunnel. Would it be worth my while getting it verified?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Squashie wrote: »
    I'm just wondering does the college recognise carpal tunnel syndrome as a disability warranting extra examination time?

I haven't actually seen a doctor about it yet but for months I've been suffering bad nerve pain down my left arm after a chest injury, and with it I've developed a completely numb stiff and spasming thumb which makes holding a pen and writing extremely difficult, with nerve shoots to my wrist and sometimes right up my arm. I haven't a hope of being able to get exams in a couple weeks finished in enough time. I suspect carpal tunnel. Would it be worth my while getting it verified?

Definitely.

Go to the DIT Health Centre, won't cost you anything, and then even if you don't get the Extra Time, if you do bad in your exams there'll be record of the problem there and you'll have good grounds for appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 prescar

Squashie wrote: »

Are you registered with the DIT Disability Service? This service is for students with medical issues/learning difficulties...I suggest you get onto them ASAP. For registered students, we are entitled to an extra 10 mins per hour, which is a great help!

My friend broke her wrist before the exams last year and was able to organise a scribe.

Best of luck

Advertisement