Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - missed renewal date !!!

Options
  • 05-05-2012 2:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi :-) been driving years & have had insurance with same company for 5yrs plus. Bumped another car from behind & to my horror realised I'd overlooked renewing my car insurance policy. I'm in a year old car myself, so I'm not in the habit of driving without cover, this was a genuine oversight on my part. So I'm not insured :-(
    I'm also insured on a van in my name , you know how your insured 2 drive other cars on a 3rd party basis. can any1 tell me if I claim for the other guys damage on my van policy , or would that not apply as its another vehicle in my own name ? Any advise would be helpful as I'll need 2 inform the co I was involved in an accident either way ! Also if I have to fix up with the guy myself , will I loose my no claims bonus and do i need 2 inform the co if there isn't an actual claim paid by the insurance co ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

The 'driving other cars' benefit does not apply to other cars owned by yourself im afraid. If you settle up with the other party with no claim being made your no claims bonus will not be affected.

I should say that you are however obliged to declare the acident when renewing your policy even if no claim was paid, whether you do or not is your call.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

The 'driving other cars' benefit does not apply to other cars owned by yourself im afraid. ...
    +1 and AFAIK, insurance between commercial vehicles and private cars is not interchangeable anyway. "Driving other vehicles' extension on a commercial may allow you to drive a commercial you don't own but not a car you don't own.
    ... If you settle up with the other party with no claim being made your no claims bonus will not be affected...
    That may depend on the insurance company and whether the policy states "claim free" or "accident free".
    ... I should say that you are however obliged to declare the acident when renewing your policy even if no claim was paid, whether you do or not is your call.
    You are obliged under the terms of your policy to inform your insurers of any material fact immediately, not a t renewal time; if you wait until then they may take a dim view of it. They may also take a dim view of the fact that the accident unfortunately happened when you were driving uninsured, but as I said, it all depends.

Advertisement