Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AIB Card; me boll|x

• 05-05-2012 3:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭

So, tried to purchase something online from a dot com website yesterday. Got feedback from the site saying "card number does not match the card".

So I rang up AIB. Seems the laser no longer works on international websites, only on dot ie sites, and they won't be upgrading the card until summer time. Which imo, is bollix.

Will try to pay via paypal, but this, the fact that they never have my balance, and those new fee's, I'll be surprised if they have any customers left shortly!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Switch to a decent bank. Currently I recommend Ulster Bank.
    No affiliation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭TehDagsBass

I left AIB a few years ago thankfully due to them not offering Visa Debit cards, I wouldn't go back for any reason now either.

They're a large player in the group of entities that brought the country to its knees, yet years on, with the tax payer supporting their every activity and no way of running themselves as an actual company any more, they :
    - still pay more than 800 of their staff more than €100,000 per year
    - haven't managed to get the redundancies they promised
    - have hired graduates of bad degree courses in on up to €31,000 per year each to train up to replace the people they claim they're getting rid of.
    - had the government break the supposed pay cap so that they can pay the executives more than €500,000 per year
    - still have the majority of their branches in operation

I'm pro-Government, pro-EU, pro this upcoming treaty, etc. but I would absolutely love, really really love, to see AIB wiped off the face of this country and replaced with efficient private European banks who could come and offer the people here competitive banking with a reputable company.

Anyway, rant over. I bank with PTSB now, the services are great, the people I deal with in their branches and on their phone system are great, their online banking is great, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

CC ftw :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

AIB only offer a Lazer card to people with current accounts, which is absolutely useless and you can barely use it anywhere online. They're a terrible bank, and I recently switched the TSB and I got a Visa Debit where I can use pretty much anywhere, aww yeah :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

Can you not link your Laser card to PayPal and then use PayPal as a payment method?
    I don't know if you can, I am with Ulster Bank and I linked my Visa Debit to PayPal and use PayPal for buying everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Get a prepaid credit card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Laser never worked on international websites, did it not?

It only worked on Irish sites where you specified that you were paying by laser.

International sites needed an actual credit card or similar.

Or am I wrong?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

some international sites accepted laser, but the vast majority didn't

just get an o2 money card and use it with paypal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

AIB cards are useless, I moved to Ulster bank to get a Visa Debit card.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Eh?

You can get Visa cards from AIB. :confused:

• Administrators Posts: 54,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

O2 money cards etc aren't great in that the online top ups aren't instant, they take a few days.

I think AIB are issuing Visa Debit's some time this year. Laser is a load of crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

AIB are ****e in every way. Even my local aib outlet is the slowest in the area. Every single time I have to go into the place there is a massive queue usually because they only have 2 staff members, sometimes just 1.

I recently changed over to Ulsterbank. They seem very good so far.

Curry chips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭bnt

reprazant wrote: »
    Eh?

You can get Visa cards from AIB.
    This is about Visa Debit, not the Visa credit cards. But AIB's Laser cards have also been Maestro (MasterCard Debit) cards for many years. I haven't tried using that for international online purchases - credit card offers more protection - but I have used it to draw cash in several countries, including Germany, France, the USA and Canada.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Can you not link your Laser card to PayPal and then use PayPal as a payment method?
    I don't know if you can, I am with Ulster Bank and I linked my Visa Debit to PayPal and use PayPal for buying everything.

That's the important part here. Visa are everywhere, Laser is some stupid system the banks came up with for Ireland. We are too small a country to have a native service like that, it makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

the_syco wrote: »
    So, tried to purchase something online from a dot com website yesterday. Got feedback from the site saying "card number does not match the card".

So I rang up AIB. Seems the laser no longer works on international websites, only on dot ie sites, and they won't be upgrading the card until summer time. Which imo, is bollix.

Will try to pay via paypal, but this, the fact that they never have my balance, and those new fee's, I'll be surprised if they have any customers left shortly!

I don't recall that it ever did work on foreign websites :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

bnt wrote: »
    This is about Visa Debit, not the Visa credit cards. But AIB's Laser cards have also been Maestro (MasterCard Debit) cards for many years. I haven't tried using that for international online purchases - credit card offers more protection - but I have used it to draw cash in several countries, including Germany, France, the USA and Canada.

Its a gimped version of Maestro. Doesnt work for the majority of online places.
    And its the Plus network that allows it to draw cash on other countries (logo on the back bottom corner of the card)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

reprazant wrote: »
    Eh?

You can get Visa cards from AIB. :confused:

Not if you're poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I don't recall that it ever did work on foreign websites :confused:
    If the international website said they took laser, it would work, but no longer :(

Advertisement