Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man swimming across the Suir @ The Bridge

Options
  • 05-05-2012 4:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

5.45pm Friday, making my way over the bridge into the City and I saw this guy at the edge of the water on the Ferrybank side of the bridge.
    Kitted out in speedos / briefs, a hat and an overcoat.
    Rang the Gardai with the description and he told me he was a German, who does it regularly - no need for alarm etc etc.
    What's the crack with this fella?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,203 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Rush hour traffic issue, maybe?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭justbored

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Least he's informed the Gardai about what he's doing so their time is being wasted,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

He is doing it for years and lives by the park. If its the same person he doing it for 7 years now

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭TheGormog

He's a strung out classical music genius. May have worked in the WIT at some stage.

He's renowned for both his extreme swimming and his naked rampages. Leaves countless bundles of clothes on the marinas, pontoons, etc. which have often been the catalyst for missing person reports and indeed search and rescue ops.

Oft sighted skulking the riverbanks stark bollock naked, searching for said clothes, especially if a strong current has pulled him up/downstream.

So, in summary, a German classical composer who swims in the Suir with his pianist hanging out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,343 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That is such a great story! Good luck to him, I hope it gives him contentment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

When I lived down at harbour view I used to see him all the time. How he didn't emerge covered in nappies and tampons is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

I thought the river's full of rats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭decies

Could this be the new naked Spanish guy!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

Anyone see the fool in the grey Alfa Romeo going around Gracedieu this morning talking through a megaphone? Wouldn't mind if I thought he was canvassing for something but no one can make out a word he's saying and all he's doing is starting the neighbourhood dogs barking. The baby is asleep upstairs and if he wakes up yer man is going to get the megaphone up his hole next time he comes in to the estate. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Yep, heard him too but couldn't make out what he was saying either!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I've often seen him swimming from the marina at the Tower, over to the Atheneum and back. He's been doin it for years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

He must be some strong swimmer. How anybody gets in there and comes out alive is beyond me

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

cocoshovel wrote: »
    He must be some strong swimmer. How anybody gets in there and comes out alive is beyond me

If people can swim the likes of San Francisco bay you can be sure as hell that people are well able to swim a small river (in comparison) in Waterford :)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tobey

ah crazygermanguy, hes aways doing it, was living rough behind the topaz on the cork road until the last builders in ireland moved in and dug up his home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

He usually does his swimming down by the Marina hotel.

Im surprised it hasnt killed him yet, the water in that river is pure mank.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

That would be geroge or hans swimmer as some people know him. Think he used to live in one of the warehouses on the docks and would swim over to town ever day. Hes been out around the dunmore road the last while.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Marchandire

TheGormog wrote: »
    So, in summary, a German classical composer who swims in the Suir with his pianist hanging out.

Very Good...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

deisemum wrote: »

Really? I used to swim in Fiddown years ago, can't believe it, wouldn't dream of going near the river now.

deisemum wrote: »

Well, every river in Ireland will have rats. Just as every ditch and hedge in Ireland will too. Its not like they swim around it like fish and in the centre.

THe river is dirty alright, but I think peoples perception of it is far too negtive than what it really is. Of course we have random bits of rubbish floating around it which is nothing out of the norm. But aside from that what kind of pollution is it receiving.
    I know the brewery dumps something into it as its visible alot of the time flowing with the current. There are probably a few other facotries in the area that do it too. A lot of people just assume the brown colour of it is all pollution, which is more likely just silt from the strong currents being thrown about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Years ago there was a sewage pipe that would open every morning when the tide was going out, around where the Grattan bar is just look over the railings and you would see it.

Turds, toilet paper, tampons etc could all be plainly seen floating off down the river.

Dont know if its still there now though, probably wouldnt be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Ugh surely he could find somewhere cleaner/nicer to swim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

michellie wrote: »
    Ugh surely he could find somewhere cleaner/nicer to swim.
    whats with the link in the word "find" ????

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

You have some sort of malware on your computer. Seeing no link here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

KevIRL wrote: »

You have some sort of malware on your computer. Seeing no link here.

Huh ?? Link ??

Cabaal wrote: »
    If people can swim the likes of San Francisco bay you can be sure as hell that people are well able to swim a small river (in comparison) in Waterford :)

True, but whenever Im walking across the bridge, and look down at where the concrete meets the water and see how strong and forcefull the tide is flowing it comes across as quite frightening, its extremely strong.

Its been mentioned many times over the years and Im not sure how true it is, but its said its one of the fastest flowing rivers in Europe :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Denise90

Aw George, I didn't think he was still around! I saw him in Dublin airport about three years ago (yellow water proof jacket and tesco bag in tow) and assumed he was going home or something.. Was pretty random now that I think of it... kind of made my day!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,957 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

He's been gone for a while, must be back. Harmless lad, it's his way of praying allegedly, thanking God for the river in which to swim. He does swim up by the Tower side aswell. Used to be a professor in WIT years ago, according to a security guard who works there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

More power to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 americanboi

yeah that's george alright, harmless guy really. used to be down the tracks with us years ago. we got hours of amusement of him trying to dig a hole in the tracks, he told us god had asked him to go under the train. great fun when the train came and stopped and got out to him. must be a strong swimmer to get across that river. i'v swam in it myself and it's difficult. always see him by topaz picking up rubbish.

Advertisement