Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

99 reasons to visit...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 krochford

fantastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I'm number 100 obviously :D

But I also feature on this list periodically :) :
    http://www.totallydublin.ie/more/200-reasons-not-to-leave-dublin/

Nice lists but some duplication on both - as you would expect. At least I know what tackies means now... :) Taytos is not just a Limerick thing though (neither is 'memories'(!), nor 'smallness', 'brilliant childhood' or 'BYOB events' which equally apply to Dublin - and the generic nature of some of the attractions is the criticism it rightly lays at the Dublin list, seems something of a double-standard) it's a general thing in lots of places outside Dublin. Don't get it either - crisps lads ffs :D

Very nice idea though and sure it's only a bit of fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jacksyhoulahan

Thats brill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Mc Love wrote: »
    LIMERICK!!

http://flipittv.tumblr.com/post/22412708706/99-reasons-to-visit-limerick

Its quite a good read and maybe we could add a few more reasons!

Just had a quick read of the article, and I have a few critiques of the list

18. Tom Collins
    The pub is only a shadow of what it once was, after it was sold to Donal Mulcahy, the character of the pub was removed. Behind the bar, there used to be old beer bottles and other drinking related memorabilia...Which has now been replaced with Vodka bottles:( A once great pub, now just another pub...

21. Macronite
    Don't think advertising a drug fest is a good thing for our city

22. Kilkee, Co. Clare.
    In Claire...Need a say much more

63. King Johns Castle (Landmark)
    Visited once, found it quiet boring, lovely castle to walk around, but could be much better.

66. Long School Dresses
    Underage girls in long dresses really...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

22. Kilkee, Co. Clare.

It's a very serious issue alright but on this, Kilkee is our Kaliningrad, a Limerick outpost in a foreign land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Most Clare people probably don't associate with Kilkee anyways so it's probably a mute point.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Most Clare people probably don't associate with Kilkee anyways so it's probably a mute point.

So they'll let us have it then ha ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

18. Tom Collins
    The pub is only a shadow of what it once was, after it was sold to Donal Mulcahy, the character of the pub was removed. Behind the bar, there used to be old beer bottles and other drinking related memorabilia...Which has now been replaced with Vodka bottles:( A once great pub, now just another pub...

21. Macronite

22. Kilkee, Co. Clare.

63. King Johns Castle (Landmark)
    Visited once, found it quiet boring, lovely castle to walk around, but could be much better.

66. Long School Dresses
    Underage girls in long dresses really...

You still get a quality pint of Guinness in Tom Collins though

Agree with regards King Limericks Castle - could be a million times better. Hasnt been updated inside since i went on a school trip (in primary).

Must have missed that Long school dresses one but just had a quick re-read and could add my own thing to it that we used to imagine what it must have been like under those long skirts :D

Mc Love wrote: »
    You still get a quality pint of Guinness in Tom Collins though

Agree with regards King Limericks Castle - could be a million times better. Hasnt been updated inside since i went on a school trip (in primary).

Must have missed that Long school dresses one but just had a quick re-read and could add my own thing to it that we used to imagine what it must have been like under those long skirts :D

Yeah it does, but so do a lot of pub's around Limerick, its beer in there is very hit and miss according to the old lad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I hate to be a spoil sport but it's very geared towards the alternative crowd!

Im sorry but the blind pig is hardly worth a mention when Icon can attract thousands on a weekend nor is the chippers of which some are now closed. And as for the daghda which has about 2 or more events per year!

He could have said 50 things to do!
    I'm not saying Limerick isn't worthy! It's just 99 is a bit too optimistic and I find the list quite biased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Yeah I wouldn't be including Costello's in that list either - I am sure some of our visitors to the city would be horrified by the state of the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

No 73 lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Enright

Great post, might not fully agree with all of them, but thats LIMERICK CITY!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Im sorry but the hungry pig is hardly worth a mention when Icon can attract thousands on a weekend nor is the chippers of which some are now closed. And as for the dagha which has about 2 or more events per year!

I'm not saying Limerick isn't worthy! It!s just 99 is a bit too optimistic and I find the list quite biased.

D'Icon is just another overcrowded club, and its sh1t.

99 was stretching it a bit but its just a lighthearted look at Limerick, the inclusion of Annie Fitz made me chuckle

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭SoCo2009

Im sorry but the hungry pig is hardly worth a mention when Icon can attract thousands on a weekend nor is the chippers of which some are now closed. And as for the dagha which has about 2 or more events per year!

I'm not saying Limerick isn't worthy! It!s just 99 is a bit too optimistic and I find the list quite biased.

Of course its biased!

Its 99 reasons to visit Limerick, not 99 discussion points of Limerick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

21. Macronite

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Hennigar

Hey everyone,

Im the guy that wrote the article. Just wanted to say thanks to those who liked it. Im in no way a professional writer... many of you can tell Im sure. With regards to everyone else who found it biased or some of the pieces a bit weak, I completely take all that on board. I did say at the end that the whole thing was a bit personal so I would miss out on a lot and mention more things that I was interested in than that of others so yes it is completely biased.

The Taytos thing Ive found to be quite Limerick, Im probably wrong but Ive lived all over Ireland and this stage and whenever I've ask for a packet of Wheelies Taytos, Im generally greeted with quizzical looks of 'Do you want wheelies or do you want Taytos?'

This article was in response to the Dublin themed one which did do the same, but I was taking my queue from that one so yes, when it mentioned landmarks and such I used that too. After all Dublin, while having many places to visit, doesnt have Spanish Arch in Galway or even the likes of the Pigeon Hole in Mayo.

Yeah Tom Collins has changed but its still, I believe, the best pint of Guinness in Limerick so I thought, justified to be on the list.

Macronite isnt a drug fueled night, many people in there might partake but I have never and still found it a brilliant night.

I did say that Kilkee belonged to Clare but its so well associated with Limerick it deserved a mention.

I too said King Johns was boring but as a landmark but something to see from the outside river view. Then I gave a brief piece on if funding came through it would be a brilliant draw to the city.

And the long dress thing was something I noticed and felt deserved a mention too. It was, after all, a bit of fun, a pride and bonding thing for Limerick.

Im totally up front about disliking the icon, it does nothing but house the masses which is fine if you like it there, but I dont think there is anything unique about it. The blind pig, at least, caters for young musicians. The Icon just takes money...

In relation to Costellos, the fact that it isnt so polished is what people love about it. You can feel comfortable in there with just a tshirt and jeans on.

Anyway, I do, honestly, take everything you say into account. I feel, if anything, Ive left out quite a bit in this piece. Things like Moviedrome, Musical Societies, the new Limetree theatre venue, acting troupes, dance troupes, movie nights etc. etc. In all honesty, I was in a rush to pull it together because I wanted to ride the coat tails of the May Bank Holiday weekend, shameless i know!

All the things on this list we're personal and i thought if I missed out on anything it would only open a broader conversation on what limerick has to offer thereby making people realize, Limerick has a lot going for her.

Sorry if you took offence to anything and if you felt it was ****, thats fair enough too but I thought it would be a nice unifying piece for the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Im sorry but the blind pig is hardly worth a mention when Icon can attract thousands on a weekend nor is the chippers of which some are now closed.

In the words of Jay-Z, we've got 99 reasons to visit Limerick and D'Icon ain't one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

gaf1983 wrote: »
    In the words of Jay-Z, we've got 99 reasons to visit Limerick and D'Icon ain't one.

I don't think so either but everyone from outside of Limerick raves about it and it also gets the hen and stag crowds week in and week out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

I don't think so either but everyone from outside of Limerick raves about it and it also gets the hen and stag crowds week in and week out.

Imagine Limerick regulars being sick of a place whereas people seeing it for the first time are happy with it, well I never....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

I actually don't mind the Icon, I'll avoid it if I can, but have had many a good night there all the same. It is what it is, and once you know what it is, you can't really complain if you pay into it.

gaf1983 wrote: »
    I actually don't mind the Icon, I'll avoid it if I can, but have had many a good night there all the same. It is what it is, and once you know what it is, you can't really complain if you pay into it.

Icon is a hole, its pretty much a sweat box and paying €12 in...They can keep it, wasted too much money on that place when I was in college...

Now Costello's, that's a fine late night bar and club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭harrythehat

I thoroughly enjoyed the list. Limerick was home for my four years of Uni and it will always have a special place in my heart. Hennigar's list brought back wave after wave of nostalgia! It also inspired me to write my own little list of the same nature about Galway, which any of ye can ready here if ye would like to http://oracularspectacular.wordpress.com/2012/05/07/50-reasons-to-visit-galway/

Thanks Cian, for an immensely pleasurable read and the inspiration to take on a little project of my own!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Icon is **** and no different to any club in Ireland, deserves no special mention whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Great list, Cian. I'd pick a few inaccuracies, but I guess you're pretty young and it's no bad thing that Limerick still holds a few mysteries for you. Keep it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Hard to take this list seriously when it includes Kilmallock :confused: but neglects to include Adare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

18. Tom Collins

Have to say I was happy enough with the renovation job, and at least the pub is still recognisable, but felt there was something amiss about it yet could never put my finger on it. Though I must admit to being in Toms' on far less regular basis these days.

Read this and it struck me like a bolt!, part of the charm of the old Toms' was that general 'organised mayhem' cluttering up the shelves behind the bar. Went in over the week-end and yes, those vodka and spirit bottles all neatly stacked up there really belonged on some other stage. Bring back the postcards and ancient beer bottles :D

tbh, though, I think the true character of Collins' was removed long before Donal took over. Think it was more to do with a 'crowd' who just moved on for no particular reason (other than age maybe ;)). Catherine moving on ended that era.

Here's to a new one.

Its' still a grand spot for a drink and a place where I will always take a friend from outside the city or recommend a visitor to Limerick to for a pint.

Advertisement