Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is that true this summer will come big cruiser ships into Galway Bay?

Options
  • 05-05-2012 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Tell me if I am wrong. I read about that some time ago that there will be few big ships anchored in Galway Bay this summer and passangers will be transferred to Galway by smaller pontons.

Is that true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

This will be more likely when/if the harbour has its redevelopment but until then it will be few and far between and not the very big liners coming to Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭pepe00

will that happen this summer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

pepe00 wrote: »
    will that happen this summer?

There's an awful lot of regulatory stuff that has to get sorted before they could even start working on a redevelopment so it will be a few years away yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Apparently there are a couple of ships due in this summer. This will be before any harbour redevelopment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Check out Galway Ships website to see what cruise liners are coming this year, they are listed by the months. I find this site great to see what ships are in or due in. You can lan to take a walk down the Claddagh or Salthill to see them. I counted 9 liners due in from May to September

Link: http://www.galwayships.com/movements/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

Great site thanks for the link, very informative site re ships calling into Galway, great pictures as well, nine liners lets hope they get nice weather when they come here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Thanks for the Galway shipping link Storm 10. Very interesting.

It would be great if some cruise liners called. I recall the Maasdam ( c 15,000 tons ) calling about 1957. Great excitment,

In the 1930's a liner from the US called into Clew Bay with pilgrims for Croagh Patrick.

In each case tenders were used. Good weather and good seamanship needed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

One of our serial objectors poured scorn on the liners visiting once the new docks were developed, claiming that the water was not deep enough .. guess this scuppers his claims...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Cunard liner Royal Viking Sun was in Galway on the 6th June 1998, she was a big one, took pictures of her from the Claddagh but cant find them, piece from the Irish Independent about her in Cork
    CORK yesterday relived its golden maritime age with the arrival of a luxury cruise liner hailed as the queen of the seas. Cunard's Royal Viking Sun - rated by Berlitz as the finest liner afloat - arrived as part of its unique `Castles and Highlands' cruise. Captained by Torre Luna, the Royal Viking Sun measures 760ft in length with a 37,000 tonne displacement.She carries a crew of 469 to cater to a maximum passenger complement of 768 with the supreme luxury of more than one crewman to every two passengers.
    She docked in Cobh yesterday for a nine-hour stay before sailing for Galway where she was due to arrive at 8am today.

Here is a pic of her

http://chriscunard.com/royal_viking_sun.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

One thing is for sure - Captain Schettino won't be behind the wheel and neither will the captain of the pantanal or the union moon :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement